Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
How Soviet ww2 plane panels faded?
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 11:22:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: How Soviet ww2 plane panels faded?  (Read 12843 times)
Shugayev

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2019, 08:22:24 PM »

Hi Massimo,
Yes, I'm sure I saw it somewhere. It must have been in a Soviet documentary film showing the progress of Yak-3s being assembled in a plant.
Cheers,
Panagiotis.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2019, 09:28:16 AM »

Hi Panagiotis,
well, I'm happy that there aren't doubts on this.
Regards
Massimo
Shugayev

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2019, 08:31:34 AM »

Hi Panagiotis,
looks a good choice. Changing the nose will add some interest to the Su-2.
I wait to see your models completed.
regards
Massimo
Hi Massimo,
I finally got the Vector cowling and except for the cowling I'll have some more extra work to do.. Lips Sealed

A question now..The ventral turret..

was there in the M-88-B type?

Cheers,
Panagiotis.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2019, 02:20:20 PM »

Hi Panagiotis,
I don't know about the ventral support. I have a cutaway of the first version where the structure is not represented, only a closed metallic hatch. I've one photo of a Su-2 M-82 where the device was undoubtedly present.
I see that the resin engine is well detailed and complex. Does it worth? Has it impact on the look of the completed model?
Regards
Massimo     
Shugayev

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2019, 04:24:15 PM »

Hi Massimo,
I think i won't build a ventral turret after all. Yes, the engine looks great although little is seen especially in the 88-B type. In the picture of my model taken from above do you think the very light grey I've sprayed is correct? I've seen profiles of the "red 8" winter scheme and the grey in the upper fuselage differs..Any suggestions?
Cheers
Panagiotis.
Shugayev

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2019, 06:22:04 AM »

Here are the relevant photos.

And this is what the Vector cowling does to its own engine Cheesy

As it is I'm still looking for an unusual Su-2 88-B profile..

This looks really good..

« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 06:24:13 AM by Shugayev » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2019, 09:24:04 PM »

Hi Panagiotis,
both profiles are relative to the same plane, and both are wrong in some ways. It is at pag.65 of a Russian monograph on Su-2. The same monograph has  a profile nearly identical to what you have already shown.
The profile with grey (?) bands has to be corrected:
there are thin lighter lines between the supposedly grey bands and the darker ones, more or less as shown in the other profile; I can suppose that they are white or light grey;
the spinner doesn't seem in solid color to me; I thnk that the front half could be red, while the rear half could be black.
Have you the possibility to find that photo?
Here is another one on the web. Here the light thin lines are less visible

I would add that the number doesn't seem red, it could be white or light blue.

Regards
Massimo
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 06:57:29 AM by Massimo Tessitori » Logged
Shugayev

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2019, 07:15:15 AM »

Hi Massimo,
I tried to make a clearer photo of the red ''8''

the thin grey(?) lines separating the upper grey with the lower green/black scheme are quite clear

there also seems to be a trace of snow at the wing root below the canopy and this trace has been depicted in this profile which is very clear now

which may mean that the upper wings were covered in temporary white overspray? 

Lastly, trying to reach to a conclusion as this weekend I'll spray the final scheme,..please correct me where you find appropriate.. Wink

-I spray the spinner red and black as you suggest and I think you're right

-I paint the thin lines a very light grey or white (and not light brown)

-I scratch a viewfinder on the Shkas MG as it appears on the profile just above

-I spray a little temporary white overspray on the upper wings,(this must be quite a risk I suppose) Undecided

-I'll finally risk opening the ventral hatch like that

Thanks a lot for your help once again.. Smiley

Cheers,

Panagiotis

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2019, 09:13:09 AM »

Hi Panagiotis,
you can blur the image, it will be more readable.
I don't see any white on the wings. I think that they are camouflaged as the fuselage. In some photos the tip of the right wing looks light.
Besides the plane is surely painted with some more shades of grey (?), perhaps it depends only on the thickness of the paint layer or retouches.
 The pattern of the closer wing should be readable from the photos.
I am not sure that black is still visible. Comparing to the plane 1 on the background, all the dark shade seems green. I don't assure that this is true for all the plane.
These planes appear in a wartime movie, so if you look for on Youtube it could be that you find more.
I don't think that the light things on the fuselage is snow, on a flying plane. It's more likely that they are metal scratches.
The spinner could be not red-black but grey-green. It is not demonstrable with our sources.
Regards
Massimo
Shugayev

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2019, 06:26:05 AM »

Hi Massimo,
Plenty of work on my model with all the necessary things for a 88-B conversion already done. The spray work has reached to this point. The 1st photo is purposely B&W as I want to show that the green on the fuselage looks much lighter in the photo. Could eventually the dark shade in the original plane be black after all? Undecided
Do comment on the color shades in the second photo please.

Regards
Panagiotis.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 06:29:36 AM by Shugayev » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2019, 09:24:57 AM »

Hi Panagiotis,
I fear that the repainting work isn't ended. I will try to obtain a sketch from the available photos this afternoon, at the moment I can say that the stars on the wings are certainly wrong.
I suspect that the grey-or what it is-covers the black parts. Besides some other light lines are visible on the fuselage.
Regards
Massimo
Shugayev

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2019, 02:54:59 PM »

Hi Massimo,
The stars of the wings are not done yet for sure. I'm waiting for a decal sheet with black outlined stars. It's the fuselage I worked on yesterday. I'll be waiting for your sketches too. Today I got the decal emblems for the engine cowlings of my "orange 100" Yak-3. Jeez, this repainting work on my Soviet quadruple never seems to end! But I definitely will end this the right way soon.  Wink
Regards
Panagiotis.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2019, 03:05:03 PM »

Hi Panagiotis,
I've attempted a sketch.
I suppose that the camouflage was a non standard fall one, later modified into a winter one.
The colors are unknown, I suppose that they are greyish brown similar to AMT-1, but perhaps they hadn't the original color, made mixes and so all retouches result very visible and make more complex the camouflage.
The brown seems to cover the black on the known side of the fuselage, so it is likely that it was so on all the plane.
The right wing shows wide light areas at the tip, excluding the leading edge. I suppose that it was thinned white. Perhaps some white is visible on the rear of the left wing. The rear part of the spinner could be green. The number is light enough, I suppose light blue.  The dark area visible around the number is very unconsistent.
Please keep in mind that this thing is widely my guess.

Regards
Massimo
Shugayev

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2019, 04:13:06 PM »

Hi Massimo,
I feel stunned! This is a great sketch and negates all the previous assumptions on the camo of this very profile! My hands are still very warm on my Badger 150 airbrush so this marvelous sketch will be my only guide and for sure will be sth completely different which has been attempted from my fellow modelers all these yrs!
So, I will use this AMT-1 shade and darken the green on my model a little. The thin lines which quite add to the beauty of this camo will be a lighter tone of the AMT-1 as I sprayed them on my yesterday's attempt. No stars on the upper surfaces? The blue 8 is a revolutionary assumption  Smiley  and will add to the general image. Correct me where I'm wrong. I know, I've learned it from you, ..guess is the key word. Based on knowledge and experience of course.
Much obliged,
Panagiotis.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2019, 05:57:46 PM »

Hi Panagiotis,
I'm happy that you appreciate the scheme. I think that it is somewhat a progress on previous profiles, but it's hard to say if it is right.
I wait to see your model.
Regards
Massimo
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: