Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
VVS EXPERIMENTAL COLORS OF 1935
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 06:43:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VVS EXPERIMENTAL COLORS OF 1935  (Read 1601 times)
righidan

« on: October 24, 2019, 10:22:30 AM »

Dear friends,
   During a recent travel to Moscow, a scholar friend of mine, allowed me to examine and photograph some color samples he had.
   I have determined that almost certainly, they are samples of the colors that were tested by the VVS in 1935.
   From a modeler point of view, I do not think they will be useful but to someone interested in replicating just that experimental U-2.
   From an historical point of view, they are interesting, but we must remember that, like the USAAF experiments of the same years, they had no practical application during the Second World War.
   They tell us that the Russians used to include real color samples in their experimental reports, and that means that in the future it will be possible to measure some of these colors with a colorimeter.
   Moreover, in the articles of Vachlamov and Orlov in M-Hobby of 1997 – 1999, they report the approximate FS595 shades of the colors used in the experiments of 1927 and 1940.
   We have always considered these authors as serious researchers, but we asked ourselves how they could be so accurate, but now we know that almost certainly they have based their comparison on real samples preserved in the scientific reports of the time.
   I have taken the liberty of translating the captions, and I enclose a copy of page 47 of M-Hobby of 9-1997, where there is an illustration of the U-2 used for the experiments.
   I have not been able to find any photo of these planes during these experiments, and I would be happy if any of our colleagues could show us one.
   I have enclosed a photo of the color samples and the original report of 1936 in a pdf, that I hope will be available at this address https://drive.google.com/open?id=189Krbx1agPZ3voYxwjqpe_cqO53dN6dt:
   I have used a pdf, because I have seen that several interesting photos disappeared from the forum with the passing of years, while with a pdf who is interested can copy and preserve it easily.
   Best regards
Daniele Righi

Daniele
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 05:51:48 PM »

Hi Daniele,
thank you very much for posting your research here. It is a great thing to find access to some historical documents on the painting of planes of the '30s.
Surprisingly, the drawing of the U-2 seems to show a camouflage as those that were attributed to soviet planes on the books of the past century.
Regards
Massimo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: