Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
White markings on Yaks?
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 10:18:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: White markings on Yaks?  (Read 3232 times)
barneybolac

« on: November 27, 2019, 09:01:45 AM »

Found these two photos on Facebook no additional information on them.

So what is going on here both planes have white on them?

John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 03:57:37 PM »

Nice photos - thanks for posting them. Obviously they show Normandie-Niemen Yak-3's; my guess is that the photos were taken post-war in France, and the aircraft are simply being repainted to eliminate the NN personal markings and the Russian national markings. Did any Yak-3's actually fly operationally with the Armée de l'Air in French markings after post-war delivery to France?

Wikipedia says:
"The aircraft and pilots belonged to the French Air Force of which the Normandie-Nièmen was one of the regiments. The aircraft were transferred to Toussus-le-Noble at the beginning of February 1946, by decision of Air Force headquarters. It was a civilian base where a zone was reserved for the Air Force. Serving as training aircraft, without detached pieces, the aircraft were cannibalized little by little. A unique restored specimen is at the Musée de l’air et de l’espace of the Bourget."

By "without detached pieces", I think the author means without spare parts. Stalin gave the pilots of the NN their aircraft as a token of appreciation, but nothing to repair them with, I guess.

John
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 12:14:14 AM by John Thompson » Logged
righidan

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 08:45:18 AM »

Dear  friends,
   Very interesting photos, and also a proof that it is impossible to judge CORRECTLY the hue of a color from a grey scale photo.
   I do agree with John: these are Normandie-Niemen planes that are changing their markings from Soviet to French.
   The thunderbolt that graced some planes is deleted too.
   I would have speculated if scrubbing or white paint could have been used to do the job, but then in “Le Fanà de l’Aviation” No. 312, November 1995, I found a photo, that I enclose, that shows that at least in some planes a light blue paint was used.

They also say that white color was lacking, and that explains the red and blue rudder stripes of other planes, with the central stripe poorly painted with lime!
   This magazine has an article on the Yak service in the Armée de l'Air, that was rather brief and uneventful, as the French and the Russians never reached a deal to buy spare parts for these planes.
   According to an illustration published in “Air Magazine” 26 the plane No. 31 was the mount of de la Salle.
Regards
Daniele

Daniele
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 08:44:10 PM »

Hi Daniele,
this photo was an unhoped discover, thank you for posting this.
Strangely, we see tht the light blue on the gear's door is much lighter than under the fuselage, and resembles the color used to delete the marks. Perhaps this is a coincidence only.
This is not the only photo that seems to show a lighter color on the gear doors than on the rear of the fuselage. Perhaps they were painted separately in factory, AMT-7 and A-28m, and the A-28m was really lighter than the AMT-7 as the Nakrasok suggested.
Regards
Massimo
barneybolac

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2019, 11:44:57 AM »

Anyone else noticed the animal head painted on the tail?

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 12:11:22 PM »

A pig???
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2019, 05:42:11 PM »

Could it be a bag lying on the stabilizer? The shadows aren't those expected for a painting.
righidan

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2019, 05:43:53 PM »

Dear friends,
   I must say that I would have much preferred an animal head, but I agree with Massimo that it is just a bag placed on the horizontal stabilizer.
   The note of Massimo about the gear doors is quite right, and visible in other Normandie-Niemen color photos.
   Moreover, it is probably not a case limited to a few planes.
   Clear photos of other Russian Yaks with the same light on the gear doors and fuselage are rare, and I fear none in color, but in this one I found on the site waralbum.ru the gray values of the two parts as measured in a graphic program have that same difference that in the above photo when transformed to grayscale.

Not very scientific, but as we agree that a sure identification of colors from gray scale photos is impossible, making educated guesses is both fun and reasonable.
Regards
Daniele

Daniele
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 03:05:35 PM »

Hi Daniele,
good image indeed.
I remember that some years ago some images of Yak-1 were discussed, where the metallic parts appeared light, while the wooden rear parts were markedly dark and not contrasting with uppersurfaces, probably AMT-11. This seems to show that the lower surfaces were painted before assembling the planes and with different paints.
Something similar was visible on earlier planes as MiG-3 and early Il-2s.
Strangely, the pieces of MiG-3 preserved in Veesivehma don't seem to support the use of different shades of blue on wooden and metallic parts.
I wonder if it's possible that some paints were more or less identical when new, then faded in different ways in the first year, then returned similar after sixty or seventy years.
Regards
Massimo
barneybolac

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2020, 07:39:10 AM »

Another painted out Yak-3 #18.

http://airfield.narod.ru/yak/yak-3/color_g/photo_yak-3_164.html

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fairfield.narod.ru%2Fyak%2Fyak-3%2Fyak-3_color_g.html&anno=2&sandbox=1
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: