Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Yak-1B from Polish 1 Fighter Regiment "City of Warsaw" question
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 05:51:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Yak-1B from Polish 1 Fighter Regiment "City of Warsaw" question  (Read 3731 times)
Basilisk

« on: December 10, 2019, 02:02:24 PM »

After receiving the new Arma Hobby Yak-1B, I couldn't help myself and start building it. I want to build aircraft 13 from the Polish 1 Fighter Regiment "City of Warsaw", but noticed some discrepancies with the markings.

This is how Arma Hobby shows the aircraft.

The date is Operation Berlin 1945

A profile in Polish Wings 20 shows this aircraft as well.

Here it is dated May 1944

And a picture of this aircraft I found on the web.

No idea when this is taken.

As can be seen, neither profile is matching the picture, but the Polish Wing representation comes closer. Do the Arma Hobby markings represent the Aircraft in 1945 and if so, does a picture exist from that time period?

But I intend to build it as shown on the picture, needing different stars and smaller number 13.
Any guesses if the stars and number are silver or white? And what colours could be on the spinner?

Any opinions are much appreciated.
Cheers, Peter
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 04:29:02 PM »

Hi Peter,
I don't think that the number and the star contour are silver, they look simply dirty.
The spinner is surprising: I don't think thatthe dark bands are shadows, I think that was painted in two greys.
The tais is surprisingly uniform, i think that it was partially repainted and shows old and fresher paints.
Regards
Massimo
Graham Boak

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 04:43:50 PM »

The forward top of the cowling looks to have been replaced too.  Is it possible that there were more than one "13"?
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 06:14:14 PM »

I always feel a bit uncomfortable with the idea of silver numerals and stars with silver bands, even though I know that silver was an "official" colour for use in markings. I tend to agree with Massimo that the markings are white which is either dirty or weathered enough that the paint under them is showing through slightly. Has anyone seen colour photos of preserved wreckage having silver numerals or star bands? I vaguely remember seeing some P-39 parts which had silver on them, but I can't think of any other examples - I'm not even sure about that one!

Regarding decals, I usually like Techmod #72102 (available from Arma, coincidentally, but from other sources as well) for red stars of various kinds, but it doesn't have any with white bands as wide as those shown in the photo. My recommendation would be Begemot #72-047 (Yak-3 Family). That sheet has some stars which have wider white bands than the Techmod ones which you might find suitable. It also has generic white numerals including 3's in the correct style which are slightly smaller than the kit decals by .5 or .75mm.

John
Basilisk

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 12:21:49 PM »

Thank you all for the replies. So white it is. Found some stars of the same size and proportion as in the picture on an old Carpena Yak-3 sheet (with the wider white on the fin star), so I will use them. For the number I will make a mask and paint it.

The spinner puzzled me too and I like Massimo's theory of the two greys.

This aircraft has indeed a very worn look and the camouflage pattern is somewhat unique with potentially many repainted patches. But as the picture itself is not of the best quality, we may read more into it as there was.

Cheers, Peter
AC26

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 08:07:20 PM »

Hi all,

thick white borders were a common feature of different Yaks at least from some if not all factories.

I always feel a bit uncomfortable with the idea of silver numerals and stars with silver bands, even though I know that silver was an "official" colour for use in markings. I tend to agree with Massimo that the markings are white which is either dirty or weathered enough that the paint under them is showing through slightly. Has anyone seen colour photos of preserved wreckage having silver numerals or star bands? I vaguely remember seeing some P-39 parts which had silver on them, but I can't think of any other examples - I'm not even sure about that one!
Hyrylä Airacobra have silver borders on both wings and fuselage. It is a composite airframe with wings from another kite than the fuselage. I have seen it many times.

There is also a published colour photograph of a mid grey/dark grey Yak-something with silver bordered stars and a silver bord number. If I just could remember where I have seen it...

In my opinion silver canät be straight ruled out although it might be unlikely.

Cheers,

AaCee
Basilisk

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 03:21:23 PM »

I finally started my build of the Arma kit! But when I checked my references I noticed something odd and I am afraid to say that the picture in my first post is a FAKE!!!

There is a picture of white 12 published in Polish Wings #20.

And by adding parts of the two pictures above (both also published in Polish Wings 20) with white 12 and some work in Photoshop - voila...
White 13!

Looks very convincing and it fooled me! So I am building now white 12 instead.

Cheers, Peter
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2020, 11:08:21 AM »

Hi Peter,
a fake... I wonder who did this.
On a strictly graphic point, I wonder why he left the very recognizable background instead of changing it.
Regards
Massimo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: