Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Polikarpov biplane fighters from I-3 to I-195
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 01:54:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Polikarpov biplane fighters from I-3 to I-195  (Read 7369 times)
BLG

« on: December 18, 2019, 05:42:30 PM »

Hi everybody.

After Polikarpov monoplanes fighters presented here : http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/board/index.php?topic=2427.0
I'm currently building biplane  . Details of building  , in french  Grin   http://fighters.forumactif.com/t90835-les-chasseurs-biplans-polikarpov-du-i-3-au-i-190-1-72

I share with you  some pictures of each of the models, often inspired by Massimo and Tapani  Tuomanen profiles

I-3 Nakotne

I-5  ICM
Prototype

Serie , early and late , used in 1941

Crimea 1942 . "Bait" plane combined with Yakovlev UT-1b for night ground attack.

I-15 ICM
Prototye

serie   VVS 1935  

Spain 1936 Palancar group

Spain 1937 Soviet built . R Negrin plane

Jose Falco night fighter CA 058  (spanish built)

Jose Falco CA 205  last fight of Spanish Civil War

06/02/1939  Diego Sanchez (Grumman Dolphin )  killed by Hans Nirminger ( Bf 109 E3) killed by Jose Falco

I-15 bis ICM

Prototype

Zakharov's plane , China January 38

Spain /France  February 1939

Khalkhin-Gol    June 1939

Finland  December 39- 1943

Baltic fleet  71 IAP  Abramov 1941

14 Korae . Vladivostock  1943-44

Chinese modified I-15 bis  "Zhong 28 B" 1939

that's all, for the moment

Regards
Bernard
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 05:08:14 PM by BLG » Logged

John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 07:44:24 PM »

that's all, for the moment

Regards
Bernard

"That's all"?! Wow - that's all amazing, you mean! Beautiful work, with all the rigging in place - I couldn't finish that many biplanes in a whole lifetime! Or even 2 or 3 lifetimes - how do you do it? I guess I need to check that build thread you linked to at the beginning of your post. Beautiful work, Bernard!  Shocked

John
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 09:26:37 AM »

Hi Bernard,
this collection is amazingly vast and complete, I like it very much.
About the I-3 of Nakotne (or other brands, I suppose they are all from the same mould) how is the model? Does it require extensive work to be good? I like that plane very much.
Regards
Massimo
BLG

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 11:20:27 AM »

Thank you John and Massimo
Quote from: John Thompson
- how do you do it?
Taylorism adapted to modelism  and for soviet planes, stakanovism. Wink
Quote from: Massimo Tessitori
About the I-3 of Nakotne (or other brands, I suppose they are all from the same mould) how is the model? Does it require extensive work to be good?
Mine was  a Chematic which is currently in stock in many shops. You are right, all the 1/72 I-3 are the original Nakotne reboxed except for a little gem, the Smallstuff. It's a resin kit, expensive 50€ , but I have never seen such a quality. Look on the site of the producer,  
SmallStuff I-3
 and from those who built it, it's rather easy. I have built a Small stuff kit, the Sukhoi I-14. As easy as Hobbyboss  and more detailled  than Prop&Jet (It is Musa who cast the Small Stuff kits). Here is the building:  
   I-14 SmallStuff

The Nakotne kit is crude but the shape is right, except the stabilizer . The main part to enhance is the engine . To make a good I-3, I have followed a part of the advices given here. I was unable to  do such a marvellous work, so I simplified .
 Knüpfer I-3

Regards
Bernard
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 05:25:39 PM by BLG » Logged

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 06:12:46 PM »

Hi Bernard,
the resin models are very nice, although expensive.   The model of Knupfer is a real jewel but beyond my horizon.
Nice to see again your I-14.
Regards
Massimo

PG monster

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2019, 05:20:22 PM »

cool!
BLG

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2020, 09:13:04 PM »

Hi Every body,

I continue with the DIT  (double seat fighter trainer )  derived from the I-15 BIS. 3 protoypes were built and 2 of them used as artillery spotter in Kuban (Novorossisk) during 1942-43.They were camouflaged with sandy spots

Next the I-153 ,
 (the majority inspired by Tuomani profiles )

First the prototype

Then a pre-serie with M 25V during Khalkhin-Gol battle

A standard M 62/I-153  ski equiped during the winter war

A finnish captured plane with 1940 camouflage .

A M-63 version captured by german in June 41, with its specific front plate and under-cowling oil cooler outlet.

A  standart I-153 ( M-62, wheels,  doors, frontplate) in 1941

A stripped version for ground attack (no doors , no front plate,  8RS-82)

and the last , the chinese one.

More photos here: http://fighters.forumactif.com/t90835-chasseurs-biplans-polikarpov-du-i-3-au-i-190-1-72

I still have the I-190 to build  to complete the Polikarpov biplane fighters.

Regards
Bernard

« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 08:49:25 PM by BLG » Logged

John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2020, 10:29:35 PM »

Really impressive work - how do you do it?! I've finished two of the ICM 1/72 I-153 kits. I thought that was quite an achievement, but you've done eight of them, rigging and all!

Speaking of rigging, what do you use to rig your biplanes, please? I've been using nylon thread or fishing line, but it's not as easy as I'd like. I have a couple of sets of the new SBS photoetched rigging wires on order, but I haven't received them yet.

Cheers;
John
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2020, 07:24:31 AM »

Hi Bernard,
you've made an impressively complete collection again. I'm happy that the drawings of Tapani were inspiring for you.
The DIT used as artillery spotter in Kuban is new for me, have you photos to show it?
Regards
Massimo
BLG

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2020, 02:03:25 AM »

Thank you for your comments
Quote from: John Thompson
Speaking of rigging, what do you use to rig your biplanes, please?
As the Polikarpov had flat rigging, the photoetched would be better, but it double the price of a kit and it is not available for all the models. I use 0,1 mm fishing line, black,   so I can see it. It was not easy to find, so I bought a 1000m reel.

Quote from: Massimo Tessitori
The DIT used as artillery spotter in Kuban is new for me, have you photos to show it?
No photo available, but it is reported in different papers about the DIT. In "The king of fighters" , Maslov wrote: Самолеты были окрашены, согласно воспоминаниям очевидцев мелкими пятнами песочного цвета.
There are 2 kits of DIT  from AMG, one with prototype painting, and the spotted one .

I copied it . I have always been surprised by the bizarre camo of this I-153, but now I understand where the painter had this idea.

Regards
Bernard

learstang

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2020, 09:46:36 PM »

Excellent series of models - I look forward to the I-190! (Maybe you could do an I-195 as a what-if?)

Best Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
BLG

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2020, 04:15:31 PM »

Thank you Jason.
The I-195 is not in my projects as I prefer real planes. However, if I can mold and cast  the front part of my I-185-M90 I could do it. I have to look at  the plans of I -185 and i-195 to check if it's the same front part.

Regards

Bernard

learstang

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2020, 06:12:03 PM »

That would be an interesting project, Bernard. I also don't usually build projected 'paper-planes', only actually built aircraft, but if someone came out with an I-195 kit, I would be very tempted to buy it. According to the air historian Bill Gunston, one was partially completed, but I've never seen any photographs of it.

Best Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
BLG

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2020, 06:55:20 PM »

Hi Jason,
I have checked the plans, and the I-195 has to be scratchbuilt as it's very different from the I-190. To graft the engine of the I-185-M90 on a Amodel I-190 would not give a I-195.
To make a I-185 M 90, it was a lot of work to modify a  MSD I-185 and here I would have  to  do the same for the fuselage, then to  built 2 pairs of wings.  May be later. I still have the non fighters biplanes then the monoplanes with in line engine  to built.
Here the building of the 4 I-185, in french:
I-185

Regards
Bernard

BLG

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2020, 06:28:34 PM »

Hi everybody,
Here is the last model of this serie of Polikarpov biplane fighters, the 2 versions of the  I-190 .
Both are in the Amodel kit. I improved the building by using the skis and door plates of the ICM I-153.

For Jason: I think to have a way to built the I-195 without complete scratchbuilding.

Cheers
Bernard

« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 10:12:44 PM by BLG » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: