Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
P-47 in naval service
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 10:50:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: P-47 in naval service  (Read 2865 times)
expositor

« on: November 18, 2020, 11:04:16 PM »

Hi All,

Just saw a drawing of profiles of various marks of the P-47 of the Northern Fleet in OD/NG, the ANA colors for RAF/FAA, and what appears to be the standard soviet two-grey fighter scheme.  Can't find much else specific to naval aviation use of this plane.  Can anyone point me to any sources?

Thanks!
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 07:00:07 AM »

Hi, the grey/grey plane is photographed by far on Red Stars n.4 of Geust and Petrov, a speculative profile is shown at pag.213.
Soviet P-47s in British colours are new for me, where have you found them?
Regards
Massimo
expositor

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 09:53:22 AM »

Hi Massimo,

It was in War Thunder, which might be a Polish language site, so I could only "look at the pictures."  I just searched 'p-47 in soviet service' in images.  I'm lucky I was able to get hold
of the first three volumes of "Red Stars" as the later ones are just about impossible to get on
this side of the pond, at least for a reasonable price.
Like you(?), I just thought all the P-47's were in olive drab/neutral grey, and think those other schemes might be an attractive addition.

Ciao,
Jim
Johann

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 09:40:32 PM »

There were typical colors of the US Air Force top OG bottom NG and unpainted. in the USSR air force, silver planes painted the top of the AMT-4 bottom of the AMT-7
There are legends that one plane was experimentally painted with AMT-11/12/7
There were no English flowers
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 11:50:24 AM »

Hi Jim, hi Johann,
the camouflaged plane appears on a photo, although by far. Of course, the profile in Red Stars 4 is speculative, particularly for the absence of the numeric code on the tail.
All other planes of that photo were La-5FN.
Regards
Massimo
expositor

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 09:44:37 AM »

Hi Johann and Massimo,

Johann, not saying you're wrong, but since Russia received P-39s and '40s from British
Lend Lease allocations in various schemes, is it not possible they received a few P-47s
from British allocations as well?  Might be improbable, but not impossible, no?

Massimo, if it's not too much trouble, any chance you could post a couple of pictures?

Many thanks!
Jim
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 01:35:36 PM »

Hi Jim,

I'm experiencing some troubles with my scanner so the result isn't of the best quality, anyway, here it is.

255 IAP of the profile is an hypothetical attribution, because the photo caption says that the unit with Lavochkins is not known.

The white thing visible on the tail of the photo could be a defect of the image.
The upper photo of 255 IAP let to suspect another camouflaged P-47, this time of the bubbletop type, but all details are unknown.

Regards
Massimo
expositor

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2020, 10:12:56 PM »

Massimo, many thanks for taking the time to post those pics, and that thumbnail of the -47.  Maybe they sprayed some dark grey over the olive drab?  Well, at least an accurate model in
plain od/ng of a 255 IAP can be made....

Thanks again!
Jim
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2020, 12:44:30 PM »

Hi,
you are welcome.
A photo of P-47 n.227062 is on the first volume of red Stars pag.70.  My impression is that the cap of the prop hub was white.
Regards
Massimo
expositor

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2020, 12:37:27 AM »

Hi Massimo and Johann,

Massimo, was unable to post the other day, only to say that my Red Stars volumes are only 40 or so pages long, so the photo you mentioned is not in mine.

Johann, dug out my "Air Arsenal No.America," which lists the serial number lots for all Lend Lease  aircraft production, and found that no P-47s going to Russia were taken from British allocations.  However, a number of Russian lots were built along with consecutive British lots so it's possible that Republic just painted those planes with the same paints.  So again, not impossible, but you are probably correct....

Cheers!
Jim
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: