Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
A COMPLETE INDEX TO THE ARTICLES IN M-HOBBY MAGAZINE
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 12:52:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A COMPLETE INDEX TO THE ARTICLES IN M-HOBBY MAGAZINE  (Read 1907 times)
righidan

« on: December 06, 2020, 10:53:58 AM »

Dear Friends,
   I have always been interested in Russian airplanes, and half a century ago, when I was young and modelling magazines were much less numerous than today, I managed to get several copies of the only Russian magazine with scale drawings of airplanes that I knew, and it was Modelist Konstructor.
   During this century, I much liked the Russian Magazine “M-Hobby” as it often has excellent historical articles, scale drawings, and publish articles that usually other modelling magazines do not print.
   For my personal use, I have prepared an English index with all the articles that have appeared in the first 234 issues of the magazine, and if you are interested, you can find a pdf copy at the address:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X8wHZwzo4rb3VFHHi4mvEYbL6mbP3Fem/view?usp=sharing
   It is a rather long file, with more than 250 pages, and you can use it just for the pleasure of seeing what other modelers do, but you can also use it to find articles in which you are interested.
   The publisher is selling pdf copies of the magazine for just 149 rubles, that is less than 2 € each, and more than the last 100 issues are available.
   You can pay through Paypal, and the process is quite simple, even I have been able to complete it, and so I have the latest issue, and I must say that in it just M. Averin article on the unknown to me service of the Fokker S IV in Russia, amply deserves the couple of euros I spent.
   The pdf are identical to the print version, only the rare drawings that are printed apart are not included, like the Tu-204S of issue 211 of January 2019.
   I do know too little Russian to be able to understand the magazine, but luckily it is an OCR pdf, so the quickest and free of charge way to translate it, is to copy the content of a page in an online translator.
   I have experience with Google, Yandex translate, Deepl and IBM Watson, but it would be interesting to hear the likes of other users of this forum.
   It seems that in machine translation, you pass from a free translation, with limits of the bulk of what you can translate, to extremely expensive subscriptions, but here too I would like to hear other people experience.
   I have found that it is better to translate from Russian to English, not to your native language, as in this way you have less errors, and to keep separated the main text from the photo captions.
   From a theoretical point of view, you should be able to choose online, only the pages of an article, and then translate them, but I have not been able to obtain good results in this way.
   Some time I have been able to extract the pages of an article using an OCR program, in my case FineReader 15, convert them to word, that is much less bulky than pdf, and then have them translated.
   Google translator is quite good, but it only translates the text and you lose the images and formatting, but for understanding the meaning, it is usually enough.
   A small trick I have learned, as often the translators have difficulties with words broken in two lines, is to paste the text in word and eliminate the returns, changing them (^p) to nothing, using the substitute command.
   Like in general life, in translation, the most effort you spend, the most you learn and better results you obtain.
Regards
Daniele

Daniele
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 11:49:51 AM »

Hi Daniele,
thank you very much for your index and your suggestions how to find and translate the issues of this excellent magazine. I do love very much many of their themes and subjects and their style, often dense of historical research and unedited informations.
Regards
Massimo
BLG

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 12:46:58 PM »

Hi Daniele,
Thank you very much for this index. I have copied it immediatly. I have already downloaded several MK to buit my Polikarpov. You can get those from 1966 to 2009  for free here:

https://www.getfree.org/magazines/mk/

The magazines are readable on line, so it's possible to check that the content fit to your research before downloading them.

Regards
Bernard

John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 03:33:19 PM »

Thank you both, Daniele and Bernard! M-Hobby is an excellent reference for drawings and photos. I have several paper copies; looks like I might be getting some digital ones in the future!

John
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: