Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
I-16 tip 10, Conversion from ICM 1/72 kit
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 03:40:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: I-16 tip 10, Conversion from ICM 1/72 kit  (Read 12909 times)
Old Man

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2021, 08:27:28 PM »

Thank you, Gentlemen. It's good to see you. I have occasionally seen this project  mentioned elsewhere when a type 10 in 1/72 comes up. That's part of why I finally decided to finish it.

Here is how things stand now:

Since the Spanish re-paint got me out of a jam on the under surface, I redid the uppers as well, in a more olive green (an old Pollyscale remnant I believe was 'French Khaki'). Once decals were on, a good pray of Tamiya matte.

Demarcations were touched up in the process.

Exhausts have been put in, just little bits of 0.75mm round. There's some slips of their color here and there need touching up.

I have two A-Model I-16 decal sheets, and they are a treat. One subject is a CM-125, and with four of these I could piece together the CM-225 serial. These provided the rudder striping as well. Because the A-Model kit is huskier over-all, I expected these to be a bit over-size for an ICM's rudder, but they were undersized, and I had to bolster the purple field with a piece of another rudder decal. The cadmium red tube acrylic used for the markings seems a fortuitous match for the decal red.

I have the undercarriage bits painted. Once that touchings up are done, more Tamiya matte spray and then it will time for propeller and windscreen.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2021, 09:31:24 PM »

Hi Old  Man,
nice to see your conversion work going on.
Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2021, 03:11:00 AM »

That will be nice when finished, OM! I built a SCW I-16 from the ancient Revell kit many years ago. It's probably in storage now. I may have to do one of my several ICM kits now as a SCW example.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Old Man

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2021, 03:18:28 AM »

Thanks, guys.

It's up on its hind legs now....

Landing gear pieces seemed to fit pretty well.

That was pretty much the last sticking point. Getting close to the finish line.
Old Man

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2021, 03:27:51 AM »

That will be nice when finished, OM! I built a SCW I-16 from the ancient Revell kit many years ago. It's probably in storage now. I may have to do one of my several ICM kits now as a SCW example.

Regards,

Jason

An old Revell would be a kick, Jason.

That kit was a revelation when it first came out.

I could see building it up as shown in this (completely inaccurate) drawing in the old Profile number on the I-16, that was about all there could be for reference back then...

learstang

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2021, 01:38:18 AM »

It was an easy kit to build, I remember that! I wouldn't think it could come close to the ICM kit in terms of accuracy, but I liked the look of it with the Spanish Republican markings. Nice to see yours up on its feet!

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Old Man

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2021, 03:52:03 AM »

Well, it's finished, comrades....

More pictures and a write-up can be fund here:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/polikarpov-i-16-type-10-hq-flight-21st-group-spani-t522805.html
learstang

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2021, 07:00:48 AM »

Great job, OM! Always so nice to see a Mosca in SCW markings!

Best Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2021, 04:06:17 PM »

Looks good - very colorful! I always like to stick to VVS markings, but seeing your model tempts me to try the same thing. What did you use to do the steel band around the cowling?

John
Old Man

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2021, 02:57:15 PM »

Great job, OM! Always so nice to see a Mosca in SCW markings!

Best Regards,

Jason

Thanks, Jason.

This scheme is more colorful than most. If I were able to procure or make the canopy, I would like to do a type 5 with just the narrow wing-bands they got at the start in November. I suppose these would have kept their Soviet factory finish otherwise.
Old Man

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2021, 03:04:25 PM »

Looks good - very colorful! I always like to stick to VVS markings, but seeing your model tempts me to try the same thing. What did you use to do the steel band around the cowling?

John

Thanks, John.

It is a flashy little thing.

For the band I used a cut strip of aluminum tape. It's similar to 5 thou card in thickness. My idea was to sand off paint on it at the end and reveal the metal. Might have worked if there weren't so many coats of primer and paint on this. So I wound up just painting it silver with a little brush, and a toothpick to clean off bits got out of line.

John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2021, 08:55:48 PM »

Thanks, Old Man! Is it the aluminum tape used to seal heating ductwork? I mean actual aluminum tape, not the silver-coloured cloth tape usually referred to as "duct tape". I've used Bare-Metal foil occasionally, but trying to lay down such a narrow strip accurately, straight, and without damaging it is very challenging!

John
Old Man

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2021, 11:47:45 PM »

Thanks, Old Man! Is it the aluminum tape used to seal heating ductwork?

John

That's the stuff, Sir.

I put it down on glass to cut strips --- it has enough adhesive to still stick after being lifted.

For bare metal finishes I make my own foil from kitchen foil, and MicroScale foil adhesive. It's not had to do, and awful cheap. To get the shine down, boil it a few minutes with eggshells.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: