Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Single tone uppersurfaces on Spitfire Mk.IXs in Osprey's lend-lease Aces.
Sovietwarplanes
April 20, 2024, 02:27:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Single tone uppersurfaces on Spitfire Mk.IXs in Osprey's lend-lease Aces.  (Read 1023 times)
Graham Boak

« on: September 06, 2021, 04:28:46 PM »

Three examples in an uppersurface green, lighter than RAF Dark Green and USAAF Olive Drab.  Shown on examples of 26 GIAP 1944 (red 2 on rudder, white tip to the fin/rudder). 26 GIAP 1945 Matsievich  Blue 2 on white tail, white lightning flash, and 19 IAP 1948 Kalinin, otherwise as first example.   All undersides Soviet blue.  No Guards badge carried.  A variation of the second/third scheme is in Geust's Red Star 4, but with the white lightning flash.

There is a model available with Matsievich's aircraft but in mid-grey.

I'm aware of the reference to fighters in the Leningrad area having white tails, and the discussion elsewhere on this board of whether these should be silver.  But what about the colour itself?  Were at least some of these Spitfire repainted on arrival - this would seem to be almost if not entirely unique.  Or does the scheme actually belong to post war, possibly immediately so?  Or is it entirely fictional?
Troy Smith

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2021, 02:34:06 AM »

Hi Graham.
The profiles are from a blow up of a Spitfire In the background in Red Stars 4.  It should be noted that some of the profiles in that are debateable, but I think was the first Spitfire profile with single colour uppers.
I found, I think on here, an image of. 1948 Spitfire, which looks like this.

Is the only post war VVS Spitfire photo I have seen,  looks to be green over light blue, but could be dark grey uppers.

Seems that just after the war most planes got repainted,  maybe to keep ground crew busy, or for victory parades.    But who know what else happened.....until more photos leak out, if they even exist!

Typing on a tablet.. may add more later.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: