Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Started a LaGG-3 kit of ICM
Sovietwarplanes
April 26, 2024, 03:52:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Started a LaGG-3 kit of ICM  (Read 5268 times)
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2021, 09:41:47 PM »

Hi,
unfortunately I haven't any image of the floor. It could be silver as the sides, but I don't really know. I think to heve seen a blackish grey on some prewar plane, but... who knows?
Regards
Massimo
Holger

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2021, 10:58:15 AM »

Hi there,
  yes, thanks for the quick answers first, I think I'll also prime the floor in a greenish tone, primer ALG-5, then silver (dirty, heavily worn) and highlight the structures.
 It is always a problem ...... the more you delve into the subject, the more questions arise ......: '(and you don't want to build a model with a lot of effort in order to then to find out that one has "built in" various errors, some of them due to misinterpretations etc.
 Of course there is always a certain possibility ......,
 and I am always happy to begin my building preparations / building studies for a new model on your website, to deepen it and to "work my way into" the subject.

Kind regards
steph40

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2021, 03:06:42 PM »

Excellent Massimo  Smiley

1/48 aircraft of the Aces
TimSouthern

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2021, 07:49:08 PM »

The Model looks amazing! I ordered one myself and it should be here just before Christmas. So my only question is about the cockpit. I am a little confused on how to paint it?

Instrument panel- light Grey
Sidewalls-silver
Floor-silver
Seat-light grey
Armor plating-light Grey
Leather headrest-black

I am also going to open up the engine area and have ordered an engine

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2021, 10:47:21 PM »

Very kind of you.
About the floor I don't really know, it doesn't appear in photos.  For other parts, it is an interpretation from bw photos.
TimSouthern

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2021, 08:44:53 PM »

But deffinetley silver for the sides of the cockpit? Or can I go light ghost Grey for everything and still be acceptable? I do high contrast painting so the colour doesn't matter, but I'd like to have my LaGG looking proper

Sincerely
Tim
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2021, 09:12:16 PM »

I could be wrong, but for me it is silver. It was common on fabric and wood as UV rays protection, and it looks silver on available photos. Colors of inside weren't unified at the start of the war.
Regards
Massimo
TimSouthern

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2021, 11:54:42 PM »

Hey Massimo,

I got my ICM kit today! I am so excited! It safely arrived from Ukraine today. My first impressions are how nice a kit it looks there is some wonderful details. I also found the Book on the LaGH-3 that was produced in Russia. My Russian is not very good but the pictures and line drawings are going to be a big help. I also see the posibility to make any of the series of lags a builder wants. Some standing and describing may be required. Overall level of mold detail, in mold detail, is superior to the Airfix Hawker Hurricane. I view models as blank canvases and this one gives you all the goodies to make any LaGG-3 a person wants. I also have the Osprey LaGG, La-5, La-7 book and there's a few schemes that appeal to me. There's a nominal amount of flash that will need to be cleaned up. I still have to wait for my Microdesign Photo Etch to arrive. As well I ordered control surfaces and  early series exhaust. I may have not required them as I really am ok with the overall appearance of everything. I treat all kits the same and it will be washed, cleaned up and major components dry fitted and then the real work begins. But to be honest price wise and detail wise, I can not complain about ICM kits. I will deffinetley be checking out all the information I can on the Lagg-3,  I am deffinetley torn between the early winter Galchenko, Grigorev's LaGG-3 35 series yellow 6 or Yuri Schipovs LaGG-3 66 series with the Lion in the heart logo.

Sincerely
Tim Southern
TimSouthern

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2021, 10:17:13 AM »

Hi Everyone,

Research....I now realize how complex the LaGG-3 series aircraft are. I guess I have two options both really not options. Buying the later series LaGG-3 ICM kit or wait for the Mars models release of their 66. I'm really enjoying learning about this plane.

Sorry if annoyed anyone with my excited exuberance and ignorance. But to be honest I'm pretty appy about my new model anyhow.

Sincerely
Tim Southern
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2021, 08:43:45 PM »

Hi Tim, I like the kit very much, apart for some defect of moulding on the right fuselage in the canopy area and some short-run on the rockets. In some places, it is sold at an uncredibly low price.
With limited scratchbuilding, one can make all the versions, even Type 66 doesn't seem impossible having a spare canopy from La-5. I don't know Mars Models.
Regards
Massimo
TimSouthern

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2021, 10:20:02 PM »

Ciao Massimo!

Yes a La-5 canopy for sure, a reworked rudder, but after further study there's a few other little details plus a different silhouette of the radiator scoop underneath the cockpit. So maybe not an accurate 66, but close enough?

Mars Models is from Ukraine as well. They released two very rare but beautiful early Russian WW2 aircraft in 1/48 scale the Yak-2 and Yak-4. Quinta studios made 3d printed set for both. Mars also released a very beautiful Bereiv Be-4 reconnaissance flying boat in 1/48 scale. They do have a website and I believe, but am not 100% sure you can direct order from them. I believe the Lagg-3 66 series is a future project but the do have a Cad Drawing of the completed design. You can check on scalemates.com or just type in Mars Models into the old Google search.

Sincerely
Tim Southern

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2021, 08:05:24 PM »

Interesting. This suggest to abandon such a conversion. Maybe a 29 or 35 yes, but not a 66. Pity that ICM has left things at half, probably the kit hadn't commercial success.
Regards
Massimo
TimSouthern

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2021, 10:46:10 PM »

Ciao Massimo!

I never count ICM out. I think they are a very patient company and continuously work towards always producing better kits, cost wise they are getting a little more expensive but they are still cheaper than most. Thier Spitfire Mk. XVI is still considered the most accurate kit of its type out there. There were some small molding issues. Also I Think the Eduard version might have a little more detail. But I can pick an ICM Spit lup for about 16 dollars CDN. I think the Ukrainan model manufactures are playing it smart and also bravely. I live for anything from Dora Wings, Clear Prop or ICM.  Also when I was working on ICM's 1/72 Su-2 I tagged them and they took the time to check it out and like the post.

I think there's more than enough reason for a series 66, basically there's so many marking options. Either way I am a big fan of the LaGG-3 and am truly excited to build it. Im just not sure if i want to do a extremely serious build with the Klimov engine and guns showing. Which is actually quite an impressive sight from the pictures I have. How they ever crammed  so many guns in the nose of that thing is something truly impressive.

Sincerely
Tim Southern
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2021, 08:30:51 AM »

Hi Tim.
the idea of a visible interior is interesting. How would you do for the engine and other parts?
Regards
Massimo
TimSouthern

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2021, 09:48:28 PM »

Ciao Massimo,

The engine is the easy part. A company called Engines and Things makes a Klimov 103 engine in 1/48. The rest is having lots of resources, I guess also finding resin reproductions of the armament would also be helpful, but, scratchbuilduming them would not be too difficult. Lots of scratch building and an over abundance of referance material. Basically its coming up with a plan. Then lots of cutting, sanding dry fitting, rinse and repeat.

Sincerely
Tim Southern
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: