Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Su-2 Pilot seat and armour plate?
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 05:57:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Su-2 Pilot seat and armour plate?  (Read 6095 times)
VelvetFrog66

« on: May 05, 2015, 03:57:45 PM »

Hi,

I was about to install the seat in the 48 scale ICM kit when I saw a youtube video about the SU-2. A brief glimpse of a pilot strapping in seemed to show a much higher seat back than the part in the kit and also what may have been a sheet of armour plate. The kit seat doesn't appear to have any armour which seems odd for a ground attack aeroplane. Are there any photos or drawings available that show what the seat looks like?
Sadly my Googling hasn't given much satisfaction... though it passes the time.

Cheers,
Robert
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 08:03:17 AM »

Hi Robert,
a Su-2 of ICM in 1/48? Couldn't it be a Zvezda?

Regards
Massimo
VelvetFrog66

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 10:54:05 AM »

You are correct Massimo, it is the Zvezda kit. Along with the Su-2 I've been busy fighting with the ICM Lagg-3 so I must have had them on my mind.

As far as the Su-2 seat goes I came across some drawings and Zvezda may not be too far off the track. I think the high back seat I saw in the youtube film may just be the seat adjusted to its maximum height for visibility at take-off.

Cheers,
Robert
learstang

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 05:32:49 PM »

The Su-2 was really more of a light-bomber/reconnaissance aircraft (the Il-2 was of course the dedicated ground attack aeroplane). Although in the terrible first part of the war, the Su-2 would have been used for ground attack (LaGG-3's were even used heavily for ground attack, along with I-15bis and I-153 biplanes), they wouldn't necessarily have had much armour added, including an armoured seat. I wouldn't be surprised to see an Su-2 without an armoured seat.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
VelvetFrog66

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 07:57:10 PM »

Hi Jason.

You know, when I think about it you are probably right about it being a light bomber. (It even says that on the box now that I look) I may have been influenced to think it was a ground attack machine because I first encountered the Su-2 in the IL-2 computer game which was all about ground attack.

Even as a light bomber I still think armour for the pilot is a pretty good idea in any aircraft that might see combat. I don't deny that drawings seem to show that it didn't have any seat armour but it seems crazy that it wouldn't be specified. Perhaps they thought the rear gunner would see off any attacks. Not a lot of help against AAA though.

Cheers,
Robert

Sekunde

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 10:12:50 PM »

Hi Robert,

I think you are right. I had the same problem with the 1:72 Su-2.

As the most Soviet modern planes from this time have a armoured seat. The Su-2 was a very modern plane. 

I made a new armoured plate for my model. In this pic you can see, what I have made. I hope this will help you a little bit.

http://shop.strato.de/epages/61299018.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61299018/Products/SA7218

Sekunde
VelvetFrog66

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 08:58:39 PM »

Thanks Sekunde,

that looks just like the armoured seat I saw in the youtube video on the Su-2. Excellent job.

I have done some digging and found a bit more about this subject. Most of the drawings of the Su-2 interiors seem to show that (strange as it seems) the earlier versions of the Su-2 really didn't have the armour. However there is a drawing showing the armour plate positions on the M-82 powered version of the Su-2/Su-4. From this I can only assume that the armour was introduced later. Probably too late for may of the aircrew. Armour may have been retro fitted to many aircraft but without evidence and as my model is of a very early aircraft I think I will go without the armour plate this time. I will be doing a later M-88 engined version next and will have to look closely at lots of photos to see if the armour was present on these aircraft.

Cheers,
Robert
TimSouthern

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2021, 08:32:07 AM »

Well it's been a while, but I finally got my interior and exterior photo etch sets for the Icm Su-2 the set is a downsized version of the one for the 1/48 Zvezda kit. So far it has gone together well with minor surgeries here and there. So far I think its a really nice bunch of PE.

But sticking with this thread I am at the point of installing the seat. I am absolutely lost. I have 3 Su-2 resources and they are not much help. MICRODESIGN has the armor plate and the cushion as two separate pieces. Sadly I don't have a photo sharing source (suggestions?)

For the Zveda kit the instructions s show removing the seat back. But the ICM kit is different. I am processing a few different approaches but some actual photographic resources would be great. I have seen the pics that are easily available with a Google search. I was wondering if typing the Russian spelling would produce more results. Either way I'm at a bit of a roadblock.

Cheers
Tom
Psy06

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2021, 11:06:02 AM »

Well it's been a while, but I finally got my interior and exterior photo etch sets for the Icm Su-2 the set is a downsized version of the one for the 1/48 Zvezda kit. So far it has gone together well with minor surgeries here and there. So far I think its a really nice bunch of PE.

But sticking with this thread I am at the point of installing the seat. I am absolutely lost. I have 3 Su-2 resources and they are not much help. MICRODESIGN has the armor plate and the cushion as two separate pieces. Sadly I don't have a photo sharing source (suggestions?)

For the Zveda kit the instructions s show removing the seat back. But the ICM kit is different. I am processing a few different approaches but some actual photographic resources would be great. I have seen the pics that are easily available with a Google search. I was wondering if typing the Russian spelling would produce more results. Either way I'm at a bit of a roadblock.

Cheers Tom

The serial su-2 has a seat with an armored backrest, from the SB, just like the R-10. Some discrepancy in different photos due to the distorting contours of soft upholstery
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 11:08:09 AM by Psy06 » Logged
TimSouthern

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2021, 12:37:11 AM »

I appreciate the input, I think I figure it out from those pics and a few others I found. I'm really excited about finishing this kit off. I have been spending a lot of time earning new painting techniques and I really hope I can produce a nice lil Su-2

Cheers,
Tim
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: