Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Amet-Khan's 'Cobra cobra
Sovietwarplanes
April 19, 2024, 01:37:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Amet-Khan's 'Cobra cobra  (Read 2422 times)
Graham Boak

« on: September 06, 2021, 04:41:29 PM »

The cover of Red Stars 4 shows a P-39 with red spinner, two diagonal yellow stripes on the tail, 32 red star claims above the exhausts, and a yellow snake with red zig-zag pattern on the central fuselage.  The same (presumably) aircraft is in Osprey's Soviet Lend-lease Fighter Aces, but with white tail stripes, where it is credited to Sultan Amet-Khan in 9 IAP.

Are there any known pictures of this aircraft?  Perhaps others would be willing to discuss this?

I tried to look through the thread on VVS P-39s but access was blocked by a Trojan warning on all but the final half-dozen pages.
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2021, 05:18:02 PM »

I tried to look through the thread on VVS P-39s but access was blocked by a Trojan warning on all but the final half-dozen pages.

Do you mean this one?
https://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/board/index.php?topic=1714.0

I don't have any problem with virus warnings on it; maybe someone with more software knowledge can suggest a solution. What I do see is entirely too many images with that annoying Photobucket overprint on them!

John
Graham Boak

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2021, 05:41:42 PM »

Yes.  However I wasn't prepared to risk it on the off-chance that this aircraft might be referred to.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 06:59:41 AM »

Bad to know about the alert. Has anyone had similar problems on the forum?
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2021, 11:08:02 AM »

Daniele has scanned the page with Virustotal, it showed no warnings of menaces. Could I see the screenshot of your warning, please?
Regards
Massimo
Graham Boak

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2021, 11:39:47 AM »

Thanks Massimo and Daniele.  Yesterday, when I checked the link in John Thompson's post, it showed the same message about Trojans.  Today, it went straight to the first page of the thread, and I have since worked through the thread without problems.  I have also opened the thread from the site directly with no problems.  So it seems that whatever was happening has gone away.

I did find some interesting postings about grey P-39s but nothing about the cobra design.
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2021, 12:58:40 PM »

Hi Graham,

Cobra with the snake is a fiction, check pg. 12 at the link in the previous posts.
Regards,
   66misos
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 11:01:44 AM by 66misos » Logged

Graham Boak

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2021, 07:49:16 PM »

Thank you, 66misos.
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2021, 10:38:25 AM »

Hi,
I found this photo at http://www.pilotenbunker.de/Jagdflieger/CCCP/Sultan_Ahmet/sultan.htm:

V. Lavrenikov, I. Borisov, A. Aleljuhin, A. Morozov, A.H. Sultan and P. Golovachev infront of a P-39 in 1944.

Seems to be the same photo session as this one:

Another photo, unfortunately does not show much from the Cobra:

Regards,
   66misos
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 11:11:28 AM by 66misos » Logged

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2021, 12:35:39 PM »

Hi Misos,
it seems to show its absence.
Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2021, 10:58:30 PM »

That's too bad about the snake - I have the markings like on that profile, and a painted P-39 to put them on. I may do it anyway as I suppose it's possible it was painted this way at some point, even though eyewitness accounts are not always reliable. Of course it's my model, so I can do any markings I wish, but I would like them to be rooted in fact.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: