Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Polikarpov U2/Po2 [1/72] ICM, AB model +Scratch.
Sovietwarplanes
April 19, 2024, 06:14:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Polikarpov U2/Po2 [1/72] ICM, AB model +Scratch.  (Read 1194 times)
BLG

« on: November 14, 2021, 03:08:18 PM »

Hi VVS addicts
Here are some U-2 and Po-2 .
I have used the 2012 and 2020 ICM kits , from the box or with some modfications, except the Po-2 ShS built  with the AB model kits ( need to be corrected)
I'm not allowed by SWP forum rules to ppst a long text and many photos. Her are some .
More on a french forum :    U2-Po2

For the 2 Normandie aircrafts, I have added the P&J engine and I have made resin copies of  its correct M 11 D propeller to replace the M11G propeller of the ICM kits (furthermore, it had a bad direction of rotation in the 2012 kits)

The next is the new U-2 received to replace the previous one broken by Fauroux who had missed a landing at Smolensk on July 44.
The camo is the three tones AMT 1-4-12 and the stars with white  and red border of 44-45..

The third is a "from the box" assembly. Kit 72243 allows to built a LNB of the "Night wiches" 46 Gv LNABP  baptized "Taman" in September 1943 for its role in the capture of the Taman peninsula
The decoration corresponding to the beginning of 1945, it is a Po-2. N.N. Polikarpov was entitled to his initials in the name of his aircraft only after his death, on July 30, 1944.
The slogan says "мстим ла боевых подруг Таню Макарову и Веру Белик" or "Let's Avenge our fellow soldiers Tanya Makarov and Vera Belik"

Some scratch now.
The sanitary version S1 was created on the initiative of a Czech Red Army doctor Antonin Linhart. It was used before the war, especially as a civil ambulance in remote parts of the USSR. SIt could carry a patient lying on a stretcher and a person sitting in the aft compartment. For a question of centering, the engine was advanced by 33 cm.  Without stretcher, it became a limousine for 2 passengers.

We see on this photos the lengthening of the fuselage indicated on the plans";

It was in limousine version that the Finns used this S1 captured in 1942. The engine of the S1s was an M 11-G, hence the propeller.

In 1940 appeared the S2 version, same lengthened fuselage as the S1. Only the profile is modified to offer more room above the patient lying down. It had an M-11 D engine . Bakshayev nacelles allowed to transport a wounded soldier  on a stretcher on each wing.  They could be mounted on any U-2. In this configuration, this S-2 carried 3 wounded lying down and one sitting.

The S-3 version, due to engineer Filatov had the advantage over the S1 and S2 that it was not a specific build. Any U-2 could be transformed into an ambulance for 2 patients lying down by replacing the top of the fuselage (removable original) by a kind of sarcophagus containing 2 stretchers side by side. The rear of this platform protruded a little from the sides of the fuselage.
Positioned just behind the pilot, the wounded did not change the centering too much.
Requisitioned civilian aircraft could thus be converted easily.  What I represent here with a U-2 with M-11 G engine and a camo style 1940, AII G /AII-Z

Several seaplane conversion tests were carried out, generally by grafting 2 floats. I retained the one undertaken by the OKB Polikarpov shortly before the death of its director.  The aircraft was partially redesigned with a more aerodynamic front. It was planned for mass production, but like many other projects of the OKB, the death of Polikarpov put an end to it.

Even more than for seaplanes, the projects of conversion into limousines were numerous, but always remained produced punctually. 

Polikarpov set about this conversion in 43, with a complete overhaul of the fuselage, widened by 36 cm allowing the carriage of 5 people. It is the Po-2 ShS that will be tested after his death. Only 2 copies were produced

I did not scratch it but used an AB model kit (handmade resin). I regret it because besides that it is rude compared to ICM, the canopy is the front deserve to be completely redone. I just corrected at a minimum and it shows on this profile.

Regards

Bernard

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2021, 07:33:55 AM »

Hi Bernard,
great work with U-2 and Po-2. Many of the conversions are amazing and well explained. I am wondering if this could be the base for a Po-2 page some day.
Regards
Massimo
K.Ingraham

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2021, 06:13:45 AM »

Excellent work, Bernard! Thank you for sharing it all with us.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: