Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
LaGG-3 "White 25"
Sovietwarplanes
April 26, 2024, 10:37:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: LaGG-3 "White 25"  (Read 567 times)
Mark Proulx

« on: August 14, 2023, 07:52:39 PM »

Am I safe to assume the "stylized" red star applied to the side of the fuselage of this LaGG-3 would indicate its assignment to a Guard unit?

Thanks in advance for any input...

Mark Proulx
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2023, 10:57:00 PM »

Do you mean this LaGG-3?:
https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/LaGG-3/pages/Lavochkin-LaGG-3-type-29-White-25-with-Red-Black-Kremlin-Star-captured-by-German-Forces-01.html

These are usually referred to as "Kremlin stars", and are meant to represent the illuminated stars decorating the five spires of the Kremlin. AFAIK, they have no Guards association.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=Kremlin+star

John
Mark Proulx

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2023, 11:40:11 PM »

John:

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, this is the LaGG I am asking about. My question stems from Pe-2 In Action (granted, not a LaGG). One of the color profiles, which displays this marking, states:

" "Kremlin Star" national insignias were typically painted on aircraft assigned to Guards units"

Any additional details on this LaGG?

Mark Proulx
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2023, 12:41:24 AM »

That may be, but I wouldn't automatically assume the connection. I don't recall ever seeing a Guards unit aircraft with Kremlin stars, though they might have existed. It certainly wasn't common. I could be wrong, not having researched this at all, but my belief is that not every aircraft with Kremlin stars belonged to a Guards unit, nor did all aircraft from Guards units have Kremlin stars. So assuming a direct correlation would be wrong.

John
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2023, 06:52:28 AM »

Hi,
I fully agree with John about the Kremlin stars, there was not a relationship to the Guards.
This LaGG-3 was probably built in Taganrog/Tbilisi by Zavod 31, as suggested by the small star on the fin.
It il possible that the camouflage was not the standard green black one because the darker and lighter colors are inverted according to the standard pattern; besides them both appear rather light on the photo.

Massimo
Mark Proulx

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2023, 09:44:12 AM »

Gentlemen,

Thank you both for taking the time to provide an informative response.

Mark Proulx
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: