Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
New from Hussar Productions "Lavochkin Fighters in Color" Vols. 1 & 2
Sovietwarplanes
April 25, 2024, 06:29:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New from Hussar Productions "Lavochkin Fighters in Color" Vols. 1 & 2  (Read 1724 times)
gocoogs

« on: February 04, 2022, 05:36:23 AM »

https://hussarproductions.com/product-categories/ols/products/lavoczkin-fighters-in-color-part-1

https://hussarproductions.com/product-categories/ols/products/lavoczkin-fighters-in-color-part-2

Each volume is 52 pages with color profiles and 1/48 decals for 19 aircraft.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 05:38:14 AM by gocoogs » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2022, 07:48:47 AM »

Hi,
looks interesting even if I see a suspicious use of yellow that seems unlikely in the mid of the war. I wait to know more.
Best regards
Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2022, 02:21:07 PM »

Thank you, gocoogs, for posting the links! Interesting, yes, although I'd prefer 1/72; however (and maybe it's just that the images are very small, so the colours don't look right), do i see green and brown camouflage on a few of these aircraft?  Huh

Yep, here's an example from Hussar's own web page:
https://img1.wsimg.com/isteam/ip/1234fe0c-7281-4867-9dc5-92553756d48d/LAV%20FIGHTERS%20VOL%202%20pic%2006.jpg/:/rs=w:432,h:316
Described as Dark (or maybe Earth) Brown with no AMT number, AMT-4 Green, and AMT-7 Light Blue, as best I can tell - the image has poor resolution.

Here's one in rarely-seen British splinter camouflage (joking!):
https://img1.wsimg.com/isteam/ip/1234fe0c-7281-4867-9dc5-92553756d48d/LAV%20FIGHTERS%20VOL%201%20pic%2006.jpg/:/rs=w:432,h:315
Described as AMT-11 Blue-Grey, AMT-4 Green, and AMT-7 Light Blue; again, poor resolution makes the text hard to read.

I thought Bock and Jackiewicz had more credibility, but I guess I was wrong. These look like ancient profiles copied from Wings Palette, with no research at all. The books were apparently published as recently as 2018, not 30 or 40 years ago; you would expect by now some knowledge of VVS colours would have been absorbed by authors like these who have specialized in writing about Russian aviation.

Also, if these are volumes 3 and 4 in a series, what are volumes 1 and 2 about - I could Google that!  Wink

Volume 1 - MiG-21UM Tiger in the Polish Air Force
https://www.hyperscale.com/2013/reviews/decals/hussarmig21umtigerreviewmd_1.htm

Volume 2 - Spitfire Mk.IX
https://www.hyperscale.com/2014/reviews/decals/hussarspitfireixreviewbf_1.htm

John
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 05:03:47 PM by John Thompson » Logged
Anton Petrov

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2022, 11:35:09 AM »

Thanks lots for sharing these images gocoogs:)  Yes,  very interesting to see this work. The art on the covers looks beautiful,   but unfortunately I can't say the same about the accuracy of the paint schemes/colours of their profile illustrations Sad

I agree with Massimo and John

1) they should have done more research to get their paint schemes/colours right. It's sad to see the mistakes in the profiles

2) that extensive use of yellow does look very questionable.
The most noticeable example of the wrong use of yellow (to me) is the La-5FN number 36 from the 159th IAP, 275 IAD (the plane in the top right corner of Vol 1.).   The planes of 275th IAD supposedly had white spinners and rudders.  All the parts which 'Hussair' showed as yellow on this particular plane should in theory be white ( probably 'dirty/old/yellowed white). Or maybe silver at least,  but not yellow.

Do you guys know what is the airplane on the cover of Vol 2?  It's beautifully painted! Do you think they were trying to show one of Kostylev's airplanes (based on the tactical number, victory stars and coloured rudder and spinner)? this airplane perhaps:

If 'Yes' then again - all the yellow parts should be white .  This plane belonged to the VVS of the Baltic Fleet, the identification markings of these units should be 'white rudder and white spinner', same as the planes of the 275th IAD. But I don't know why I am writing this,  you guys know it all already , and better than I do ! lol:)

« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 12:12:33 PM by Anton Petrov » Logged
gocoogs

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2022, 12:21:38 AM »

Got mine a couple days ago. Some of the profiles are problematic, but the decals (printed by Techmod) look very nice indeed.

Anton Petrov

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2022, 03:46:44 AM »

That's great gocoogs. and thanks for sharing the higher res images too

What is good about this product is that there is so much choice in the decals they've offered, so  you can probably use them to build most of the paint scheme options they've provided for.  Meaning- you can use stars with a white outline to replace the stars with yellow outlines where needed, touch up some of their numbers with different colour paint if necessary, and so on.  There are some options there in that regard. And of course you can always use a different source as  'painting reference' ( that is- if you actually need one).

Thankfully Massimo's done great research on some of the LaGG/La planes which are featured in the Hussar publication,  for those who need reference or want to get a second opinion on the correct paint scheme of their preferred plane. But for any of the La-5s which are not featured on Sovietwarplanes.com   check out PlanesInProfile.com  There are a few La-5s there already and many more different fighter profiles will be added there in the future, including some more Lavochkins. Some of the ones featured in the Hussar publication will be featured on PinP also, eventually:)

Will be good to test out the quality of the Hussar/Techmod decals themselves.  Will be looking forward to your comments on that and of course to seeing your finished model(s)!:)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 04:00:12 AM by Anton Petrov » Logged
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2022, 12:56:16 AM »

The Planes in Profile site looks promising, although to get the most out of it you need to become a dues-paying member of Patreon. Maybe Massimo should consider doing the same thing - why not make a bit of a profit from all the hard work Massimo has done keeping this site going? Maybe at least it could be made to pay for itself, if not to turn a profit?

John
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2022, 02:20:35 PM »

Hi all,

Got mine a couple days ago. Some of the profiles are problematic, but the decals (printed by Techmod) look very nice indeed.

thank you for having shared the images.

The Planes in Profile site looks promising, although to get the most out of it you need to become a dues-paying member of Patreon. Maybe Massimo should consider doing the same thing - why not make a bit of a profit from all the hard work Massimo has done keeping this site going? Maybe at least it could be made to pay for itself, if not to turn a profit?

I don't think to do so, because I am not so active with new drawings. Besides the site uses photos from many sources and drawings from many authors, so if any money starts to arrive the things would become more complicate.

Thankfully Massimo's done great research on some of the LaGG/La planes which are featured in the Hussar publication,  for those who need reference or want to get a second opinion on the correct paint scheme of their preferred plane. But for any of the La-5s which are not featured on Sovietwarplanes.com   check out PlanesInProfile.com  There are a few La-5s there already and many more different fighter profiles will be added there in the future, including some more Lavochkins. Some of the ones featured in the Hussar publication will be featured on PinP also, eventually:)

Thank you Anton, you are doing an high quality work.

Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2022, 02:08:51 AM »

This looked interesting, until I saw some of those profiles with our old 'friend', 'brown and green' on them. Reminiscent of some of the profiles in my old William Green book on the Lavochkin fighters, but that was printed in 1971. This appearance of 'brown and green' is not to be expected from a recent book. Luckily, all the colour profiles for my 'Lavochkin Fighters of the Second World War' book were done by Massimo (thank you again for those!).

Best Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2022, 10:51:05 PM »

Luckily, all the colour profiles for my 'Lavochkin Fighters of the Second World War' book were done by Massimo (thank you again for those!).
Thank you. Pity that they were made in a somewhat short time.
Regards
Massimo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: