Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Nieuport 24bis 1/32
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 02:36:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Nieuport 24bis 1/32  (Read 882 times)
otto

« on: July 25, 2022, 09:06:57 PM »

Hello everybody.
I'm back after quite long time, I hope you are all well.
This is my Roden 1/32 Nieuport 24bis. It's not a bad kit, but the lower wing attachment points were wrong, and I had to make new pins and spend a lot of time and "prayers" on this. Unfortunetely, Part did not produce for this subject any photoetched set as it does for other Roden 32s, and I had to add Eduard gun and belts, and scratch build other details including altimeter and seat.
I immediately fell in love with Kravtsov's aircraft as I saw it on "Russian Aviation Colours volume 3 - Red Stars", but I had to print the music and globe in the ribbon decals after scanning and adapting the book pictures. The Kremlin stars over French cockades are painted with custom made masks, cut with cutting plotter.

otto

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 09:18:09 PM »

otto

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 09:20:52 PM »

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2022, 07:16:49 AM »

Hi Otto,
I'm very impressed by this model and its realism.
About the decals on clear film: did you use a laser or inkjet printer?
It is the first time that I see that tool mask for the layers of the wooden propeller. Where can it be found?
What about the silver-painted surface? Was it made by airbrush? I see you have utilized a preshade.
Best regards
Massimo
otto

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2022, 07:03:41 PM »

Thank you, Massimo!
I used a laser color printer on Tauro Model clear decal sheet. It's not necessary to use a whole decal sheet, just cut a suitable piece and fix it on an A4 sheet with double-sided tape.
That tool was made by RB Models which unfortunately stopped its activity. It is for 1/32 propellers. It's not easy to use: on French and British propellers, that were single-coloured, helps simulating different layers, but on German airscrews, that were of alternate light and dark layers, I could not achieve good results and I prefer reproducing them with water pencils.
The aluminium cowling was sprayed with Alclad II aluminium on a gloss black primer. The fabric is sprayed with a mix of Tamiya paints: 3 x Flat Aluminium XF-16 and 1 x Gloss White X-2. Not much of the pre-shade was visible due to the high opacity of the metallic paint, but I obtained post-shade effects by brushing Lifecolor metallic and gray acrylic paint. More touches and washes with oil paints finished the job. Oils were used also to paint the wooden parts of the cockpit.
I used EZ Line elastic thread and GasPatch turnbuckles for rigging.

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2022, 09:24:12 AM »

Hi Otto,
your methods give really good results.
About the elastic wires of EZ Line, are they chemically durable? I am always worried with elastomers, some of them behave in unpredictable way with time. For example, all the tyres of my BRDM-2 of Dragon have broken, while the tyres of an old Chinese jeep of Trumpeter have corroded the plastic that was in contact for some months (fortunately not an important piece) before building.
otto

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2022, 04:12:05 PM »

Nothing last forever, but I made my first model with elastic thread 8 years ago, and the wires are still perfect. I read that to have a good durability of this material, the model must be protected from strong light.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2022, 06:01:23 PM »

Good to know, thank you.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: