Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Unit Assignment
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 06:42:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Unit Assignment  (Read 398 times)
Mark Proulx

« on: August 07, 2023, 05:50:53 PM »

Hello:

As I am new to the study of VVS camouflage and markings, I apologize in advance if the question appears silly.

It is easy to determine unit assignments of US and RAF aircraft (fuselage codes relate to squadron). Same goes for the Luftwaffe (either codes or emblems applied). How does one determine the assignments of VVS aircraft from WW2? It appears some are known by the pilot or unique fuselage markings. However, can a determination be made if only national insignia is applied, as so many appear to be?

For example, if you have a photo of a Pe-2 with red stars on the fuselage, tail with a White 4 also on the tail (no other markings), can you tell which unit it came from?

I have books enroute to see if this is addressed there, but in the meantime I thought I would pose this question here.

Mark Proulx
« Last Edit: August 07, 2023, 07:15:12 PM by Mark Proulx » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2023, 08:28:25 PM »

Hi Mark,
in general, no. One can't even state if it is of the army or navy air force. There are exceptions for some units that utilized distinctive marks, but they were widely used only in 1944/45.
Mark Proulx

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2023, 09:30:09 PM »

Thanks. This confirms my suspicion.

Mark Proulx
Mark Proulx

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2023, 05:15:07 PM »

Staffels within the Luftwaffe used a color to identify each. For example, First staffel numbers are white on the sides of their fighter aircraft within most Gruppes. Did the VVS follow a similar format or were there variations throughout? 

Mark Proulx
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2023, 06:22:38 PM »

Hi,
sometimes.
Before the war, numbers from 1 to 15 were painted on the rudders to identify the plane within a squadron, while the color of the numbers identified the squadron within the regiment. During the war this method was usually abandoned. It could be that some units utilized colored numbers, spinners or caps on the tail for this purpose, but this depended on the unit.
Regards
Massimo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: