Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Il-2 question? Answered!
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 03:47:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Il-2 question? Answered!  (Read 2245 times)
righidan

« on: March 08, 2023, 09:15:58 AM »

Dear friends,
   As Jason Nicholas Moore rightly says, the Ilyushin Il-2 is regarded as the Russian equivalent of the Spitfire.
   But for a number of reasons, to describe the differences between the more than 36000 planes produced, in the West have been used several invented subtypes, that have also been used in Russian literature, as in the official documents all the serial planes were called just Il-2.
   Now for the first time we have a description of the several differences between all the Il-2 series, starting from 1941 and ending in 1945!
   The author of this study is Professor Ivan Rodionov, who published a first article with scale drawings from factory material, in the May edition of Modelist Konstructor for the year 1982, from which most if not all the subsequent scale drawings are derived.
   Research discovers new material, so after little more than forty years, he published a second article in January 2023 in M-Hobby with scale drawings by Trufanov.
   Now he has prepared the most detailed description that I have ever seen of all the visible differences in the different series produced by the different factories.
   Thanks to Massimo courtesy, you can find the first part, dedicated to the first single seaters produced by Zavod 18 in 1941, with the serial number 18 6 XX XX.
   It is 126 pages long, with just about 10% of text, and 90% of images.
   You can find it in English at the index address https://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/index.html
   And the good news are that other parts will follow, and I hope that in about one week time, you will be able to enjoy the description of the 18 7 XX XX series.
   Then others will follow describing the other factories and the two seaters.
   Obviously many things still remain to be clarified, and so corrections and additions are welcome, but I would say that with the information we have now everybody can produce an Il-2 model faithful to the original.
Regards
Daniele

Daniele
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2023, 01:31:00 PM »

Well done Daniele. Thank you for your efforts.
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2023, 07:31:31 PM »

Wow - very impressive! It's an honour to Massimo's web site to have documents like this available on it - thank you very much, Daniele!

John
righidan

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2023, 10:06:26 PM »

Dear friends,
   The second installment of Prof. Rodionov about the single seater of the 18 (7) series is just online, and you can find it at the above address or at the end of:
https://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/il-2/il-2.htm
Enjoy!
Regards
Daniele

Daniele
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2023, 09:19:54 PM »

Thank you Daniele, the work is very informative.
The 18 (7) series were the typical singleseaters of 1942 made by Factory 18.
Regards
Massimo
righidan

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2023, 03:24:51 PM »

Dear friends,
   Thanks to Massimo, he has uploaded three files, describing the single seaters produced by factory 1, 30 and 381.
   So now we have a description of the series of all the single seaters.
   How you will see, it is not a simple situation, as all four plants introduced changes not simultaneously, most of them in the space of a couple of months, but some characteristics were peculiar to one zavod.
   Well, springtime has come and I would say that it is time to unbox our single seaters Il-2 and compare them to the drawings and to the description!
Regards
Daniele

Daniele
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2023, 11:36:44 AM »

Hi Daniele,
yes, the planes built by different factories had some pecularities both for their hardware and their painting. This research will allow to improve the existing page too.  Thank you and to prof. Rodionov for your efforts.
Regards
Massimo
righidan

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2023, 11:12:14 PM »

Dear friends,
   Maybe you have already noticed it, but I wanted to draw your attention to the fact that Massimo has uploaded 270 pages of a detailed description of the Il-2 two seaters built by zavod 30, the builder of the "etalon" or prototype two seater.
   Prof. Rodionov has changed the page layout, choosing a landscape format, which allows seeing better the many photos in this work.
   I know that such an amount of information is impressive and intimidating, but I hope to hear comments and corrections, that will increase our collective knowledge of such an important airplane.
Regards
Daniele

Daniele
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2023, 09:28:36 PM »

Hi Daniele,
I'm very impressed for this file, thank you to you and compliments for Mr. Rodionov.
I've noticed a pair of small things. One photo is of planes of Zavod 1, not 30, and shows them still with old camouflag and markings, so it can't be of the fall but around July 1943. Another thing is that one photo, with the silver-black livery and the cover on the canopy, should be of a UIL-2 and not a combat version.
Being the painting of Il-2s made in factory, it can be used as a trace to identify the factory itself and sometimes the timeframe.
Anyway this is a very important work and will allow to improve the existing pages too.
Best regards
Massimo
righidan

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2023, 12:20:19 PM »

Dear Friends,
   I suppose that by now you are expecting new files about the Il-2.
   What I had not expected is that the latest file about the zavod 18(7) two-seaters is almost 500 pages long!
   Massimo has just published it; I have to thank him for all his efforts, and for the corrections he suggested, which will be implemented in a future version of the last file.
   Any new correction and amendments will be as usual welcome.
Regards
Daniele

Daniele
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2023, 06:41:37 AM »

Hi Daniele,
thank you again for your efforts and compliments to Mr. Rodionov for his deep research. The most part of the work on this type is completed, and is a wide improvement over what was known before.
Best regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2023, 05:59:39 PM »

This will prove to be an excellent reference source! Thank you to all concerned!

Best Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
righidan

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2023, 09:51:49 AM »

Dear friends,
   Thanks to Massimo courtesy and Prof. Rodionov work, you have a new file about the two seaters of zavod 18(Cool the late war "arrows" that probably are the most impressed in the minds of old men like me.
   It will be "only" 65 pages, but to complete the two seaters' description, a last file of more than double that number of pages is nearing publication.
   And of course it will describe the zavod 1 two seaters.
Regards
Daniele

Daniele
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2023, 05:29:04 PM »

Hi Daniele,
thanks to you and to Mr Rodionov, the informations in this research are of great value.
Best regards
Massimo
righidan

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2023, 07:15:01 PM »

Dear friends,
   Massimo has just published the latest work of Prof. Rodionov on the two seaters of zavod 1.
   If you believe that it is the latest part of this work, then soon you will be surprised!
Regards
Daniele

Daniele
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: