Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Photo request Manchurian campaign
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 02:06:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Photo request Manchurian campaign  (Read 16024 times)
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2007, 06:31:33 AM »

Hi Christian, Smiley
thank you for posting these beautiful images. I like Japanese planes very much and I have a lot of kits, forthemost still to build.
Those images could turn into an original model, in some very far future.
The ki-44 is particularly interesting. Are there clear ideas on how it was painted?
Massimo
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2007, 06:35:04 AM »

Hi Dave, about photos of LaGG-3: I don't know for sure. Probably the photos are of some Finnish goverment archive, probably they have the negative, but I don't know if their copyright has expired.
Massimo
Dave

guaranteed varnished nutcase

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2007, 03:23:46 PM »

Hi Dave, about photos of LaGG-3: I don't know for sure. Probably the photos are of some Finnish goverment archive, probably they have the negative, but I don't know if their copyright has expired.
Massimo

Thanks, well If it has been over 50 years since they were taken I think they are probably in the public domain (according to wikipedia)
ChristianK

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2007, 09:07:19 PM »

Massimo,

as far as i know, there is no additional information about this picture. It was sold on ebay some time ago, Jim posted it, i rightclick-saved it. The sentai emblem is probably white, but the quality of the image is so bad, that any speculation regarding the colors (which go further than "dark" and "light") would be futile.
More so, even the base color could just be guessed, as there are so few pictures of Ki-44s painted in a single color that i'd guess they left the factory always in NMF and were camouflaged in the field with more or less care. Even the Ki-44s that do wear a solid color show quite heavy chipping (real chipping, not left out or repaired areas!), which indicates a field-applied camouflage without a base coat. The grey-green Aomidori-Iro (~FS 34036, but it faded to some kind of blue-gray very soon) was a color that seemed to have been in widespread use on japanese fighters in the chinese theater. But that's just one possibility, it could also be lilac.. Wink
However, it seems that the hinomarus on the Ki-44 in our picture were not painted over before the application of the chinese roundels, because if the new owners had done so, they most likely would have overpainted the chipped area next to the hinomaru, too. It is also noticable that the strange fashion of applying the new roundel so out of place was repeated on the wing uppersurfaces (You can see the shine of the glossy hinomaru red next to the chinese roundel; at least in my opinion). Maybe the Shoki wasn't flyable at all (one of the prop blades is bent) and the Chinese marked them just for propagandistic purposes, for fun, painter training, out of boredom or anything else.
Finally, there is some sort of canvas hanging over the rudder, it is not paint chipping.

P.S. I just figured out that the plane on the picture we're talking about isn't a Ki-44, it's a Ki-84! In this case we have a Ki-84 factory finished in Aomidori-Iro or Ohryoku 7 ("late war brown"). So much for expert talk! Grin

P.P.S. While looking for Ki-44s in a single colour i found a few more pictures for you, enjoy:

Note to myself: First look a the thing, then speculate about it!
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2007, 11:01:46 PM »

Hi Christian, Smiley
thank you for posting these beautiful images. It looks that the paint was removed by some sort of tool from the surface of this Ki-44.
Ki-84... I suspected this, but didn't dare to suggest... the fuselage is extremely similar, in perspective.
Did the planes captured by Chinese communists wore the same markings of the nationalists? Maybe they loved to see some red...
Massimo
ChristianK

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2007, 11:25:22 PM »

Hi Massimo,

yes, after a while they indeed remembered that red was more appropriate for a "red" air force, but if they used old hinomarus to do so, hmm...??
(Look here: http://www.geocities.com/cwlam2000hk/part2.htm)

I also think you are right with your assumption of removed paint. Maybe they used sand paper or some sort thinner / acetone / nitro. Like a model kit after the first messed-up paint attempt...

And next time i mix-up airplanes - please interfere Wink
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2007, 11:13:22 PM »

Hi Christian, Smiley
nice page. I didn't suspect that Chinese communists utilized a so wide range of markings in 1945-49 (one for each plane?). After 1949, their markings are a bit monotonous.
Massimo
Troy Smith

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2016, 03:56:23 AM »

the topic of schemes for VVS aircraft used in Manchuria just came up on Britmodeller,
http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234999272-looking-for-references-russia-verses-japan-at-end-of-ww2/

Which led me to finding this thread, but no photos or links to VVS units

So, thought this would be worth a bump,  in case anyone has links to Russian sites on this?

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: