Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Another Offbeat Model Question
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 12:33:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Offbeat Model Question  (Read 7386 times)
madoc

« on: October 21, 2007, 02:48:28 AM »

Folks,

I recently picked up a kit of the Tichonrawow 302 by A&V models.

The aircraft if a mixed power interceptor with a rocket in the tail and two jet engines under its wings.  I think it might be but a paper project (i.e. never even had metal bent for it let alone took flight) but it's intriguing none the less.

Anyone here have any knowledge of this aircraft?  Any knowledge of this kit?

Thanks,

Madoc
Renato71

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 03:32:21 PM »

Project originated in 1940. Chief designer was Tichonrawow, but as he worked in RNII, whose boss was Kostikov, it is sometimes called as "Kostikov 302".
It was planed as both rocked only and rocket+ramjet versions.

Here are some scans from "Soviet X-planes":
Soviet x-planes - 1
Soviet x-planes - 2
Soviet x-planes - 3

And from "Soviet rocket and ramjet aircraft"
Rocket and ramjet - 1
Rocket and ramjet - 2

Scans are quite large, so I post links only.

Cheers!

Renato
madoc

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 10:21:13 PM »

Renato,

Thanks for the info.  So the 302 actually made it into the air?  Excellent.  Even if just as a glider that does count for a lot.  I'll have to compare the plans depicted to the kit to see whether they got the wingspan right.  It's good to know the composition of the fuselage as that means a difference in its finish.

Thanks again,

Madoc
Renato71

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 01:05:38 AM »

Yup, just a glider model of "rocket engined only" version.

Btw, what's your kit like? Does it come in both versions? Has it anything to do with Amodel's kit?

Renato
madoc

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 06:42:39 AM »

Renato,

How's the A&V Tichonrawow kit compare to the AModel kit?

You know, I thought this thing looked familiar!  It was the ramjet pods which threw me off.

Here's a photo I just took of the A&V kit's contents:

A&V Tichonrawow 302

Now that you've both provided detailed drawings of the aircraft and also pointed out it having been previously kitted in styrene, I'm feeling somewhat put out.  I already have the AModel I-302 and will have to dig that out of storage to compare it.  I do remember that it does not come with the ramjet pods.

However, looking over the drawings, it seems as if the A&V folk only included the shorter wings - the ones used once they decided to dump the ramjets.  That means that if I do render this kit I'd have to scratchbuild longer wingtips to do it right.  That's aggravating because the entire reason I bought it was because of those ramjet pods.  Argghhh!

Aside from that it looks like a nicely moulded kit typical of A&V's standards.

Madoc
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 06:44:28 AM by madoc » Logged
Renato71

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 02:25:33 PM »

If this kit has too narrow wingspan for ramjet version, try either building it as rocket and extending the wingspan and placing ramjets from this kits on Amodel, or rxchange wings with Amodel. I think it would be much easier to add some plastic onto them in comparison to adding material to resin wings or scratch building.
I'll guess you will have to dig out Amodel  Grin
God luck and don't give up!
Cheers

Renato
madoc

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 08:54:59 AM »

Renato,

Yeah, I was figuring that the AModel version would be better to add wingspan to.  The relatively thin resin of the A&V kit's wingtips doesn't look like it would take kindly to such work.  So, I'll most likely use the A&V kit's ramjet pods on the AModel and graft the necessary extensions on its plastic wings.

I've no plans on giving up.  I was just disappointed that the A&V folk got most everything else right on their kitting of this but muffed it on the wingspan.  Oh well...

madoc
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: