Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
black nose MiG-3s
Sovietwarplanes
April 20, 2024, 03:33:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: black nose MiG-3s  (Read 12554 times)
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« on: November 06, 2005, 09:47:00 AM »

Hi, Smiley
I have recently drawn two profiles from a videotape, black nose 18 and black nose 40.
http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/mig3/blacknose18.html
http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/mig3/blacknose40.html

They have replaced one of my first profiles, that was obtained from a rougher version of the same movie.
I think that these planes are highly intersting because of their unusual camo scheme. Unfortunately I was unable to identify the unit.

Then I found another beautiful site, thanks to a link of M Bykov (thanks Smiley)
http://fighters.front.ru/kam/Mig-3-0.htm
Now I see that this site shows a profile similar to my first interpretation, without number on the side and antenna mast. It encloses a screenshot that is surely from the same movie I have (but I am not able to reproduce). Shocked
For what I know, images from this movie were never published on any book.
The better version shows a 18 that doesn't appear on this screenshot merely due to the loss of quality, and the antenna mast.

Now, can anyone help me to identify the unit, date and place of the movie? Huh

Massimo Smiley

M_Bykov

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 11:37:40 AM »

Can't help yet with those black-nosed MiGs, but some other of Your profiles need some corrections too, IMHO. Talking about 122 IAP MiGs in the 1st stage. Wink

Maybe this will help You: http://avia-hobby.ru/publ/col_122iap/MiG.html
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 08:18:59 AM »

Hi Mikhail, Smiley
your page on 122 IAP looks extremely interesting. It would be nice to have an English version on line. Thank you for the link.
I am happy that this allows to identify the unit of some planes of which I had images and even profiles.

About your suggestion to reconsider some profiles of my site, I really appreciate some occasion of comparison. I have tried to do it with much attention yesterday.

I have modified my old profile of blue 75 into red 76 some time ago, after that Audrius reported that you reached this conclusion by examining the original photos of this plane. I had to agree with this observation.

About remaining discordances, I think that you refer in first place to Za partii Bolshevikoi, in particular to the red arrow.
http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/mig3/bolshevik.htm
I drew it because the image of the camo plane seems to show a small light triangle exactly where the image of the white plane had the tail of the arrow. So, my idea is that it was not deleted at the date of the photo.
I had a look to the image printed on Istrebitel MiG-3 too.

In second place, there is discordance on the presence of the fuselage star on the supposed "Za Rodinu".
http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/mig3/rybalko.html
I agree that the star is compatible with your scan, again from Istrebitel MiG-3 I think;  as you see on my page, I have found also a scan showing a white star on the tail only, found on a page of Artem Drabkin if I don't miss.  Shocked
It's difficult to explain this difference between two images that are probably from the same movie; one hypothesis is that a red filter was added on the camera objective during the work. Without red filter, green and red have low contrast; the filter darkens greens and makes reds like white. This is the idea on which my profile is based.
The alternative explanation, a reflex on a gloss red star, looks less consistent to my eyes with the reflexes visible on the nose that show the sun well above the horizon.
However, I see also that a lighter triangle resembling a part of a star looks visible on your scan. Perhaps the red star on fuselage survived to the camouflage in a first time, but was repainted green in a second time, leaving its trace on the darker bands. However, it's only a supposition.
It would be interesting to find the original movie, the succession of images should allow to distinguish between the hypothesis of the red filter and the one of reflex.

I am reconsidering the writing: as you see, it can't be read clearly, but a part of it looks darker than the other one; now I suspect that the writing was left red as during the winter, and the light shade visible on the photo could be due to different amount of white paint left between and within the letters. It would be consistent with the apparently unrepainted canopy frames.

Massimo
M_Bykov

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 08:27:25 AM »

Hi,
Massimo, I saw original prints of all those photos of 122 IAP MiGs (and Yaks) in Archive. Sadly, but there is impossible to copy them  Sad... But I had drew all important details. For example, the star on 'Za Rodinu's board is clearly visible on the original print... So I have no doubts in all those profiles on the page. Cool
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 08:34:50 AM »

I see. Do you know if all the images of Za Rodinu are part of a movie?
Massimo Smiley
M_Bykov

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005, 08:58:09 AM »

I knew that about those 'winter' migs. Planes were recieved in occasion by 172 IAP, but quickly were transfeded to 122nd cos 172nd not used MiGs earlier (but LaGGs and Yaks only) and had not qualified pilots for them.

But 'summer' MiG 'Za Rodinu' is a 'norma' photograph. Though it may be the movie frag, but the quality of photo in 122 IAP's 'Combat Way' album is pretty good  Cool.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005, 10:16:27 PM »

Hi. Smiley
172 IAP, as originally written on Red Stars n.1? Well, I suspected that this was a printing error. But if you confirm this...
The pilot Rybalko is known to be of 122 IAP. Was him in 172 IAP at the date of the delivery of the white planes? Huh
Massimo
M_Bykov

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2005, 10:38:02 PM »

Hi. Smiley
172 IAP, as originally written on Red Stars n.1? Well, I suspected that this was a printing error. But if you confirm this...
The pilot Rybalko is known to be of 122 IAP. Was him in 172 IAP at the date of the delivery of the white planes? Huh
Massimo

This isn'ta printing error.
172 IAP recieved those 3 MiGs on Red Army Day 23.02.42 and there are 3 MiG-3s on the Regiment's Aircraft List on 01.03.42. But then machines were transfered to 122 IAP. There was not any MiGs in 172 IAP on 01.04.42...

Rybalko served in 122 IAP only.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2005, 12:56:35 AM »

If my informations are good, Rybalko was one of the pilots that received the planes on that ceremony. I find difficult to conciliate these informations.
Massimo Smiley
M_Bykov

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2005, 06:18:34 PM »

If my informations are good, Rybalko was one of the pilots that received the planes on that ceremony. I find difficult to conciliate these informations.
Massimo Smiley

Massimo, Your informations are wrong. Rybalko saw those planes with inscriptions at the first time on 122 IAP airfield aldeady. Names of 172 IAP pilots who recieved those MiGs were Popov /Za Stalina/, Latyshev /Za Rodinu/ and... 3rd name I don't remember but undoubtedly not Rybalko!  Cheesy
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2005, 09:28:25 PM »

This is interesting. Could you look for the third name, please? Smiley
Massimo
JP
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2005, 04:03:39 PM »

I thought Rybalko gave an interview where he tells of going to pick up aircraft with inscriptions like these . . .? Wink

Perhaps his memory was a little off after so many years, or maybe they were different aircraft.
M_Bykov

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2005, 07:15:10 PM »

I thought Rybalko gave an interview where he tells of going to pick up aircraft with inscriptions like these . . .? Wink

Perhaps his memory was a little off after so many years, or maybe they were different aircraft.

WHERE he told that???
Here You are the direct translation from Russian of those phrase from Rybslko's intervew:

"There were only 5 pilots left in our 122nd IAP, but there were about 80 machines. Choose by yourself on what you want to fly! 'Za rodinu', 'Za Stalina', 'Za partiyu bolshevikov' were there /so those were 3 machines from 80 - MB/. So I told that on 'Za partiyu bolshevikov' I can't fly because it was too heavy. It was good to me that NKVD-man wasn't there then! That time the re-equipment took plase so in our regiment planes from many other IAPs were given."

http://www.iremember.ru/pilots/rybalko/rybalko_r.htm /see the inscripyion under the coloulized photo/.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2005, 09:38:08 PM »

Hi, Smiley
I had a look at Istrebitel MiG-3, and the captions have the names of Popov and Latyshev, but not the third one. The name of Rybalko was reportedly written, I think, on Unknown battles on the skies of Moscow of Hazanov. Now, he is one of the authors of Istrebitel MiG-3, and doesn't repeat this, at least on captions. Maybe he was not longer sure. Huh
We could try to ask to Artem Drabkin, maybe he knows something on this topic.
Massimo
M_Bykov

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2005, 10:37:56 AM »

Here we go again!  Grin

Rybalko DID NOT SERVED in 172nd IAP!  Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: