Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
P-63 photo
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 11:29:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: P-63 photo  (Read 6943 times)
Apex1701

« on: May 31, 2008, 01:48:28 AM »

Hi,

The March Fana de l'aviation had published an article on the VVS use of the Kingcobra.
Almost all that was written was known to me and I'm not very familiar with this aircraft.
OTOH I found one interesting assertion: from september 1944 P-63A received not only the standard markings of the VVS
but they were painted with standard VVS paint!!!

Everywhere I read that they were OD over Neutral Grey. To say the least I was flabbergasted ;-))
Can someone have seen confirmation of this.

The pictures in the article were know except for this one.

Any clues on the unit and time frame?
OD or AMT-4 Green?

All the best.
Jean
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 11:22:13 AM »

Hi, Smiley
and their undersurfaces? NG should be well distinguishable from light blue even on bw photos.
About uppersurfaces: I think it's likely. On US planes, OD turned to a light shade with the exposition to the sun, I don't see the same on photos of Soviet P-63s.
Massimo
marluc

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 01:20:46 PM »

Hi everybody:

Thanks Jean for this photo,it?s new to me too.I have another question:if this Kingcobras were repainted with VVS colours,why the tail serials were not overpainted? I agree that the upperside colour is too dark and the fact that the demarcation line should be seen,but it could be caused by the light conditions.The undercarriage cover shows a light colour that could be Neutral Gray or AMT Blue as well (it?s shadowed by the wing).Best regards:

Martin
Apex1701

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 05:08:36 PM »

(Marluc)
> if this Kingcobras were repainted with VVS colours,why the tail serials were not overpainted?

(Jean)
They were not repainted in VVS colors, they were painted with VVS colors right away at the plant.

Do you think they are from 9 GIAD, Pokryshkin unit?
The stripes on the top of the tail resemble the 9 GIAD stripes.

Jean
marluc

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 02:14:54 PM »

Hello Jean:
They were not repainted in VVS colors, they were painted with VVS colors right away at the plant.
This is new to me,I thought they were delivered in the original USAAF colours.

Do you think they are from 9 GIAD, Pokryshkin unit?
The stripes on the top of the tail resemble the 9 GIAD stripes.
It could be a possibility,but I don?t know for sure.
Best regards:

Martin
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 07:02:24 AM »

Hello Jean:

Hi, Smiley

Quote from: Apex1701 on June 01, 2008, 09:08:36 AM

This is new to me,I thought they were delivered in the original USAAF colours.

Perhaps they were painted with an US interpretation of Soviet colors, as they did with planes for the RAF. The lower surfaces seem rather dark to my eye.

About 9 GIAD, I think they received La-7 after P-39s.

Massimo
Dark Green Man

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 10:22:29 PM »

how would a US aircraft factory get hold of Soviet paint?
looks like standard Olive Drab #41 and Neutral Gray #43 to me.
[/color]

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: