Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Yak-3 scheme
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 01:52:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Yak-3 scheme  (Read 12291 times)
JP
Administrator

« on: November 09, 2005, 08:09:06 PM »

Greetings,

I am currently trashing a perfectly good 1/48 Eduard Yak-3.? Unfortunately, what I have is the kit for the French squadron, and I would prefer to do something Russian instead.? I know, I know . . . there's a Russian version kit.? But I got a good deal on this kit, so I took it.? ?Smiley? So, I set about trying to find a new scheme to do.? I have to say, there aren't that many photos of the Yak-3 around, and many of the ones that exist are of the French group.? ?Angry

However, I found this very interesting profile, but I'm not sure if it is accurate.

Can anyone commen on this paint scheme?? It looks interestingly different, and I could easily paint the markings myself.? Also, the color call outs for the cockpit seem strange to me.? The page where I found this profile can be seen here http://www.kotfsc.com/aviation/yak3.htm

JP
Dark Green Man

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 12:51:03 AM »

I do not know who flew #24 but, I would like to know.

does anyone know who flew #12 ?

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
Audrius

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 07:48:07 AM »

hi John

However, I found this very interesting profile, but I'm not sure if it is accurate. Can anyone commen on this paint scheme?

There is the picture of that Yak-3 together with the other examples of diferent  marking in 303 IAD or as someone says even within N-N regiment.

There were lot of speculation about those Yak-3 with such marking. It is obviuos that nr. 24 ar nr.12 and 17  looks different from the standart "ligthning bolt" in white that was used within regiment N-N as well as the whole 303 IAD. I am not sure if Mikhail has some archive proof that nr.24 belonged to 18 GIAP or not. Has you Mikhail? But there is a true as well that there is a rumour that within regiment N-N the color used for "ligthning bolt" was different from esquadrille to esquadrille. It was white, yellow and the third one, which is not known for me. But, remember this is rumour.
For me it becomes more obviuos that the version with the different regiment within 303 IAD  as mentioned Mikhail  is more likely.
Talking about the pilot - we know that the Yak-3  nr.24 within N-N was behind R. de la Poype (at least there are some pictures of Yak-3 nr.24 (no ligthning bolt on that one, 1945 yr.)  that is said to belong to him) . So if we assume that this particular Yak-3 nr.24 (which is interesting you John) belonged to N-N we could assume that the pilot was Poype. But this is very much speculative.

About the camo- I hope it is obviuos for you that there should not be any green patern on the upper surface!?  Cool

BR Audrius

M_Bykov

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 08:58:00 AM »

Here You are only two examples of 303 IAD planes with that 'lightning bolt': Yak-7B of 18 GIAP and La-5F of IAD's CO G.Zakharov. There are a cup of other photos. Well known are La-7s from 9 GIAP with similar marking. So those Yak-3s definitely CULD BE from some other IAP of 303 IAD. As we know, except NN, only 18 GIAP used Yak-3s in that division. So those Yak-3s definitely CULD belong to 18 GIAP, and because of not-3-coloured spinner that's more likely IMHO. Cool

Audrius

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 09:59:57 AM »

Nice picture of La-5F from 303IAD.  Shocked  Quite few of them at the moment could be find anywhere!!

It sure that only two regiments in 303 IAD had Yaks- 1 IAP ON aka N-N and 18 GIAP. And your notice about not tricolor spinner makes more evident that nr. 24 could be from 18 GIAP. Nevertheless I think there are pictures of Yak-3 that belonged to regimetn N-N  and have no tricolor on spinne neitherr. But jugding from the font of numbers it's more likely to 18 GIAP.

Let us hope that in future a new info will appear on that subject.

BR Audrius 
M_Bykov

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005, 10:18:01 AM »

Nice picture of La-5F from 303IAD.? Shocked? Quite few of them at the moment could be find anywhere!!

That's Zakharov's personal mount. Note it had not the tactical number and even the board star. Smiley
Audrius

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2005, 10:23:13 AM »

That's Zakharov's personal mount. Note it had not the tactical number and even the board star. Smiley

Aha!! You have seen some other pictures of same a/c, haven't you ?  Roll Eyes From this picture I guess pretty difficult to find out that there are no board number neither star!!!  Grin

Anyway, great picture and thanks for shearing it!!!

BR Audrius
M_Bykov

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005, 11:11:32 AM »

Aha!! You have seen some other pictures of same a/c, haven't you ?? Roll Eyes From this picture I guess pretty difficult to find out that there are no board number neither star!!!? Grin

Anyway, great picture and thanks for shearing it!!!

BR Audrius

No, I haven't.? Sad
But the original print of that shot is big and in good quality enough to see that behind the Golubov's shoulder is the 'bolt' only. Smiley
« Last Edit: November 11, 2005, 06:07:21 PM by M_Bykov » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2005, 12:51:59 AM »

Hi, Smiley
there is a good article on N-N at Bourget airport on 20 June 1945; the planes on the photos appear still in Soviet markings, but many of them have not the lightning, and have smaller numerals. N.24 without lightning is flown by Jacques Andr?. I don't know if there exist 2 or 3 different planes with the same numerals, or they were repainted and changed their look. It is not the first time that I see planes of NN with the same number, same pilot but different details, as if they were different planes or were fully repainted.
Does anyone want copies of this article in French?
Massimo
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2005, 09:47:46 PM »

I have tried to examine the image of n.24 with photoshop to compare the shade of grey of the star with that of the lightning, because I suspect that it was red. Unfortunately the results are uncertain. Undecided
Massimo
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2005, 10:33:20 PM »

Hi, Smiley
here are two interesting images of n.1. Shocked

Note that part of the fuselage is much darker than the rear fuselage and tail, and even stars have different shades. At first I thought to the shadow of another plane, but now I would exclude this explanation. What do you think?
Massimo

Audrius

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2005, 10:22:06 PM »

hi Massimo

> here are two interesting images of n.1. Note that part of the fuselage is much darker than the rear fuselage and tail, and even stars have different shades. At first I thought to the shadow of another plane, but now I would exclude this explanation. What do you think?

I am almost sure this is shadow.  In the lower picture the sun is above the planes, just behind the tail of nr.1 (note the wingtip in light, in foreground of picture).
The upper picture was done after the Yaks got into higher altitude and they are on the oposite, that time sun was  below the nr.1 (note the dark wingtip in the foreground of picture). As an option of the shadow could be clouds which seems to be that sunny day.

BR Audrius
Audrius

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2005, 11:05:16 PM »

Thanks to Massimo I have been looking through the article on N-N from Air Magazine and found an interesting note to the picture of Yak-3 nr.17 (posted above already). The article stays that this Yak belonged to V.Lavrinenkov and calles him as commander of 18 GIAP what is wrong. But he was commander of 9GIAP that also belonged to 303 IAD (Autumn 1944), same as N-N. Interesting but there is known that Lavrinenkov had La-7 within 9GIAP as well with number 17!!! This is profile by M_Bykov:

Could it be the same story as with commander of 303IAD Zakharov who had both Yak-3 and La-5 same time??!!
Maybe Lavrinenkov as commander of regiment used as well both machines Yak-3 and La-7?!! Who knows  Huh

BR Audrius

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2005, 07:54:44 AM »

Hi Audrius, Smiley
I have re-examined the images, and now I am prone to think that the front of the plane was repainted with fresher and darker colors.
if only an image shows this dark fuselage, I would think that it is a shadow. But my suspects are because I see it on both sides of the same aircraft, photographed while flying in different directions. Besides the shadow doesn't break the white outline of the star on the left side, nor darkens the arrow on the right side.
Besides, on the image from the right side I see that the spinner is lightened and refects the sun.
No doubt, there are some shadows, bot I think that they all are distinguishable.
If the colors are two greys, it is impressive to see how the dark one on the tail was faded off in few months. The one on the nose looks darker than many blacks seen on other planes. Shocked

Nice profile of La-7, indeed. Smiley

Massimo

Audrius

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2005, 08:04:02 AM »

hi Massimo
your notice about the unshaded arrow warns me that I could be wrong talking about he shadows. Well.. let's think .. Huh

Whad do you think about the overexposed film/picture due to the sun reflection from wing on the front panels?

BR Audrius
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: