Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
LaGG-3 with 37 mm gun
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 03:40:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: LaGG-3 with 37 mm gun  (Read 8523 times)
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« on: October 02, 2005, 07:36:33 PM »

Hi,
one has to start... whyalways the same guy, one could ask? Smiley
Well, I'm working on a small subpage on LaGG-3s with 37 mm gun. at present time, I am completing the profile of the third plane, that is fully atypical. It is a very early LaGG-3 built in Leningrad. Note the unique shape of the ventral water cooler and the absence of balance horns and radio mast. Shocked
Well, I don't understand well if this plane has overall green uppersurfaces or a sort of non-standard camo scheme with low contrast. Some disuniformities are visible on the photo, but they don't match with known camo schemes of this plane. I have drawn two variants of the profile. Huh
Please, let me know your opinion and, in particular, if one finds another image of the same plane; this one is from Lavockin's piston engined fighters of Gordon and Khazanov.
Massimo
Clare

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 08:38:28 PM »

I have Soviet Combat Aircraft by Gordon and Khazanov with the same photo.  Boy, it sure looks like some sort of a low contrast scheme to me.  Probably your second profile is more accurate although I wouldn't agree completely with the pattern of your lighter colors.

Clare

1/72 = Gentlemen's Scale
JP
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 09:58:53 PM »

I can see possibly some shading below and behind the cockpit area, but the rest is very hard to say.? I don't have the book, but from the scan it would be impossible for me to say anything about the engine cowl or the tail.? The image looks washed out from too much light.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005, 10:23:21 PM »

Hi,
the image is poor, I know. 
Clare, what do you suggest exactly?
I would like to know if some of the first LaGGs were delivered with all green uppersurfaces. Only a reasonably reliable profile  (on an Osprey, I think) shows this, but other planes of the same unit had non-standard camo schemes that could have been made on the field, as the plane of Galchenko.
This could be compatible both with an all-green plane with 37 mm gun, both with a non-standard camo as the one reproduced on my profile.

Massimo
Audrius

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 08:00:10 AM »

hello Massimo, hello board!

Please, let me know your opinion

Since this particular a/c is one of the first in series I suppose that it carried a standard for that time scheme:  uniform Green upper surface and light-blue for lower one.

BR Audrius
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 11:16:03 PM »

Hi Audrius, Smiley
I suspect that it is so, but I am not sure. I'll include both versions of the drawing in the page, and I hope that some new image will allow to decide in future.
Isn't there anyting more on LaGG 3-37 in your new book on Lavochkins, please?
Massimo
Audrius

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 07:01:21 AM »

hi Massimo

Isn't there anyting more on LaGG 3-37 in your new book on Lavochkins, please?

Not at all. There is just short text related to testing Lagg-3 with 37mm cannon. Nothing exraordinary. And I would not rate this issue like "book", it is just brochure.

BR Audrius
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 11:29:18 AM »

Hi Audrius,
have you any idea where I could find more?
Massimo
Jet

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 03:46:28 PM »

hello Massimo, hello board!

Please, let me know your opinion

Since this particular a/c is one of the first in series I suppose that it carried a standard for that time scheme:  uniform Green upper surface and light-blue for lower one.

BR Audrius
This is a very old topic but one of interest to me  Smiley
I did a very unscientific test replacing the grey-scale gradients with contrasting colors. The tolerance level I set was "2" (each specific color replaced all pixels within 2 shades of grey). Based on that, I would have to agree with Audrius, unless a better copy of the photo can be obtained. I also tried to adjust levels in the photo to bring more pronounced contrast between the dark section behind/below the cockpit and the adjacent lighter shade without success, using all major adjustments I know of (histogram, highlight/midtone/shadow, gamma, saturation, contrast, luminosity, etc, etc, etc...)

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 07:57:21 PM »

Hi Jet, Smiley
your method is interesting. How did yoy do it exactly?
Massimo
Jet

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 02:28:57 AM »

I use a program called "Paint Shop Pro" it is similar to Adobe Photoshop, Gimp and some others.
First, I converted format from Grey-scale to 16 million color
Then, I used the "color replace" tool, which will replace any specific color (or range of specific colors) with any other color of your choice.
I selected a pixel and chose to replace it with yellow - so all pixels matching that shade in the selected area were converted to yellow
Then chose another grey pixel and replaced it with red, and so on, and so on...

So everywhere you see a color, all other pixels that were originally the same shade of grey are now that color (blue, or green, or red, or whatever)
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 09:10:03 AM »

Hi Jet, Smiley
this method is interesting.
To tell the truth, I still see the slightly darker bands on the bw image.
Being the supposed camouflage overposed to a strong gradient of light, I think that, with this colorization method, the (supposed) bands should appear only as small steps up or down on the longitudinal colorized bands.
In other words, I think that the eye can distinguish better between darkness change due to a (supposed) camouflage and due to the gradient of light.
It would be interesting to try this method on a photo showing a plane with a real low-contrast camouflage to see what happens.
Massimo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: