Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Yak wheels
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 10:26:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Yak wheels  (Read 6211 times)
certainreasons
« on: December 06, 2005, 02:09:03 AM »

Hello All,

Using the drawings from the AJ Press Yak-7/9 book, it seems that the wheels of the ICM kits are inaccurate, although the overall wheel+tire size seems close enough. I also have the True Details resin wheels - these appear to be more accurate in regards to the wheels, but the overall size is much too small - comments, suggestions?

Thanks!

Huh
Audrius

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 08:12:50 AM »

hello!!

you have several options in my oppinion:
1. Take the ICM wheels and using your skills try to rebuild/repair as you wish and it should look like
2. Scratchbuilding from the start. Please have a look at the article describing the technique. Nevertheless it is in Russian but using the online tranlator and from the graphics maybe it will give you a clue: http://modelism.airforce.ru/technology/weels/index.htm
Otherwise it would be worth to search for similar technique in English on web.
3. The easiest and less time consuming but requiring free funds- to obtain perfect done rubber/resit "Equipage" wheels sets. For e.g. : http://www.aviapress.com/viewproducer.htm?EQU

For general info , take a look to this perfect article on building Yak-1,-7,-9 if you didn't yet:  http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/yak179/yaks-matvienko/yaks-matvienko.htm

Sorry , not much help!  Roll Eyes

BR Audrius
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 09:22:57 AM by Audrius » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 09:16:27 AM »

Hi, Smiley
do you mean the 1/48 kit?
If I don't miss, there should be resin wheels on the correction kit made by Gremlinmodels (at least, there was one in the set for Yak-7). The main parts of the kit is a new fuselage with revised profile and section. I don't know if it'still in production. If you want, try writing at http://www.gremlinmodelsbyzed.8m.net/.
Another idea could be to have a look at the wheels of another kit, maybe the Yak-1 of Finemolds, and make a resin copy.
On the whole, the suggestion of Aviapress looks the best one.

Massimo
Dark Green Man

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 02:07:06 AM »

the wheels/tires in ICM 1/48 Yak-7 AND Yak-9 are actually wheels for the Yak-7

the True Details resin wheels are correct for Yak3/9 LaGG-3,La-5/7

this confusion stems from lots of 7's and 9's being confused with each other.
also some of the early Yak-9's were fitted with the Yak-7 wheels as it was a hold-over in production.

if you want a proper Yak-9 use the True Details wheels.
(unless you are building an early machine, then you can choose either)

sadly the gremlin Yak-9D wheels are the Yak-7 type.

I will have to look to see if I can find some specs for the wheelsize.

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
certainreasons
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 03:16:23 AM »

I was afraid I was opening up Pandora's Box! Thanks for the replies. The wheels, well, actually the tires in the drawings in the Bock book appear to be all the same size, regardless of type - so this would be incorrect? What would be the difference between the 9 wheels and the 7/early9 ones? The aviapress site lists a set for the 7a, and a seperate set for the 7b/9D/T/L/M/R - Huh The True Details set seems to small for any 1/48 aircraft, no?

Wasn't able to make much sense of the process on the Russian site, but I would consider trying to scratchbuild my own, if I could gather the relevent info. The bock book does have a 1:24 drawing of the main undercarraige of a Yak-9R.

Regards!
Dark Green Man

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005, 08:20:54 PM »

Grin
not a Pandora's box just another technical detail to be worked out.

I looked at all the photos I have on the Yak-3 and they all show the Yak-1 tires.(on Yak-3 rims)
it seems that True Details has made an error there, very rare for them to make  a mistake.

the True Details wheels/tires (48-054) are the later type wheels used on the Yak-9.
the wheels(rims,hubs) are the same it is that the tires are a smaller diameter.
page 64 of Aircraft Monograph 14 by Robert Bock (AJ Press) shows the Yak-7 type tires.
these drawings are from Modelist Konstructor magazine, they did the Yak-7 first (if I recall correctly)
then did the Yak-9 later without correcting some of the details.

have you tried to use copy/paste at Babelfish.altavista.com ?

it gave me a much better translation than online-translator.com  (it is usually the other way around)

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: