Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
New 1/72 MiG-3 from Trumpeter
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 03:46:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: New 1/72 MiG-3 from Trumpeter  (Read 49343 times)
Honza Jezl

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2006, 11:50:49 PM »

After 20 minutes of "work" - just test fitting. No glue was used, only canopy and head rest doesn't hold on the place

Honza Jezl

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2006, 12:00:03 AM »

And couple of details

Lovely wheel wells and legs:

Strange line around aileron. To me it looks like remnant of previous wrong shaped aileron:

Details on the fuselage are not so crisp:

Dihedral of tail is not so good. And as the fit is very tight, some sanding will be required:

Yes, the cockpit is very, very simple. No side walls details at all. At least the head rest and space behind seat are fine:

But the lack of instrument pannel and no space for legs - that's very bad:
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2006, 06:41:12 AM »

Hi, Smiley
thank you for posting these images. The kit is better than I thought. The landing gear in particular. One more canopy can be utilized for a RPM model.
I have two large decals sheet for MiG-3, I could make a whole collection, if I can convive with the poor cockpit.
Who knows how they managed to produce an one-piece empty fuselage?
Massimo
Audrius

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2006, 07:03:23 AM »

hi Massimo

I have two large decals sheet for MiG-3, I could make a whole collection

Could you please inform of what producer are those sheets of decal for Mig-3? I suppose in 1/72, isn't?

BR Audrius
Audrius

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2006, 07:05:22 AM »

hi Honza!
thank you for shearing those images of lovely Mig-3!! Indeed it looks much, much better than I supposed before just reading others' oppinions.
Some scratchbuilding and I will be one of the best Mig-3 models in the market!!!

Please share your pictures after you finnish building this kit.

BR Audrius
Honza Jezl

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2006, 10:08:09 AM »

Who knows how they managed to produce an one-piece empty fuselage?

As you can see on the first picture - fuselage is not in sprue, but is stand alone. From dividing lines I am almost sure, that it was not normal form consisting of upper and lower part, but it consisted of four parts. Upper, lower and two side parts.

And the cockpit - with a minimal upgrade it will look fine, I believe - I added instrument panel, side instrument panels, basic framing and seat belts and if you don't open the canopy completely, it will look fine enough.

And yes, I will share more pictures from build as well as of final product. But don't know how long it will take me to finish it - too much travelling awaits me in following days.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 10:11:03 AM by Honza Jezl » Logged
Honza Jezl

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2006, 08:46:54 PM »

I took some pictures of actual progress. And no, the whole work was not done today only, it took me about two weeks to get so far.

Riveting is "must" for me:

This reflector satisfied me quite well. Perfectly clear epoxy. Those bubbles are not visible in reality:

The stuffing of the seat had to be deepen. Results are not perfect, but definitely acceptable. As well as sparse details added to the cockpit.

10 points for those, who will find out, where I took instrument panel from  Grin
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2006, 10:19:05 PM »

Hi Audrius, Smiley
I've two decals sheets from HAD , an Hungarian firm. I have received them from John, that received them for review. I have to do this. Please see http://www.had.hu.
They are illustrated with my profiles and look fine.
Hi Honza, Smiley
my compliments for your good model. The rivets are exceptional.
I would suggest to make some thickness on the pieces covering the bolts just behind the sliding hood.
Please, note that the long plates behind the exhaust stacks are asymmetrical: there is the small hatch on its upper profile only on the left side. It covers the cap for starting fuel. Please check if it's symmetrical on the model.
Massimo
Honza Jezl

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2006, 11:47:45 AM »

my compliments for your good model. The rivets are exceptional.
I would suggest to make some thickness on the pieces covering the bolts just behind the sliding hood.
Please, note that the long plates behind the exhaust stacks are asymmetrical: there is the small hatch on its upper profile only on the left side. It covers the cap for starting fuel. Please check if it's symmetrical on the model.

Thank you.
The first point - just to be sure - do you mean a small "U" shaped panel which is visible on the last picture on its very lower part in the middle? If so, thank for comment, it will be no problem to correct it.
Second point - ah, here we go. I didn't notice this. Both plates are the same with hatch on its upper side. Or better to say - not complete hatch, only a small "bump" on the outline of the whole panel. Again - easy to correct this, but thank you for remark.
Other mistakes I noticed:
1) only 2 exhaust pipes, the third in the front, partially hidden, needs to be added
2) no scribing representing back opening for main cooler under the fuselage. And as the existing scribing and light are on wrong positions, you have to fill the scribing, sand down the light and create correct ones. I will skip this correction for this model, as it will be not visible in the shelf. But I will do it for next MiG.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2006, 01:40:53 PM »

Hi Honza, Smiley
yes, the u-shaped panel.
I would suggest to fill the recesses between the structures of the ailerons, rudder and elevators. Although scenic, they are not visible on the real thing.
I would suggest some correction to the spinner, that has a too rounded shape. The part in front of the prop should be nearly conical.

Massimo
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2006, 01:51:51 PM »

Hi Honza, Smiley
a question: the nose and the rear fuselage are full of plastic of empty?
Massimo
Honza Jezl

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2006, 02:18:11 PM »

Hi Massimo,

added some thickness to those u-shaped panels, panels behind exhausts corrected (was not so easy as the kit is allready assembled)
Other two comments - well, that rib structure of ailerons and so on is soooo lovely. I will sand it down a bit, but not remove. It is somewhat visible on some pictures, so I will preffer a little bit scenic look at this point.
And the spinner - unfortunatelay already assembled, riveted and polished. I will try to correct the shape a bit, but probably not completely. But good remark for next MiG. BTW, shape of RPM is better here, unfortunately diameter is a little bit smaller. And one more comment - before I assembled the spinner I checked it against some drawings and didn't notice the difference although on the drawings are correct shapes. The problem is, that in reality the difference of the curve is impossible to notice as it is very, very small. Until you look on shape in general - then it is obvious.
I also noticed, that ailerons were in fact two separated pieces. Interesting. I red some discussion here already, but thought, that you were talking about landing flaps.
Although not visible very well, the first picture with part layout and instructions answer your last question a bit. Nose is hollow (but walls are incredibly thick) as there is a separate piece which has to be glued from bottom. But the rear fuselage is from joint to wing full of plastic.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 02:23:32 PM by Honza Jezl » Logged
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2006, 07:33:15 PM »

Does anyone know which on-line hobby shops now have the Hobby Boss MiG-3 kit in stock? I'd like to order one or two myself. Thanks in advance!

John Thompson
Audrius

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2006, 07:15:49 AM »

Does anyone know which on-line hobby shops now have the Hobby Boss MiG-3 kit in stock? I'd like to order one or two myself. Thanks in advance!

John Thompson

hello John,
first please try to check their site at:  http://www.hobbyboss.com/80229.htm

Or directly to one of the shops:

http://www.modelsforsale.com

As well I wonder if anyone has hold in ones hands the model of Yak-3 from same producer?

BR Audrius

« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 07:18:28 AM by Audrius » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2006, 07:27:15 AM »

Hi Honza, Smiley
thank you for your informations.
all the rear fuselage full of plastic? I wonder what technological methods they have to avoid deformations during cooling.
An important thing: don't forget the flaps inside the main air intake. Two horizontal, two vertical. The horizontal ones deflect the airflow upwards.

Hi Audrius, hi John, Smiley
the kits are not available here at present time. It will be interesting to know if the Yak-3 can give an acceptable alternative to the Hasegawa kit that don't worth its price of 20 Euros.

Massimo
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: