Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
New 1/72 MiG-3 from Trumpeter
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 04:34:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: New 1/72 MiG-3 from Trumpeter  (Read 49359 times)
Honza Jezl

« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2006, 06:59:37 PM »

I saw that yak as well, didn't check it properly, but from first glance MiG looked better. But I wanted the MiG anyway, so I may be wrong. If I will see another Jak, I will check it more properly.
No progress with my MiG meanwhile and probably for whole next week as well. I will be in Italy that time :-) (hi, Massimo  Wink
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2006, 11:03:47 PM »

In Italy? Really? Where? Smiley
The weather is turning to sunny today. I wish you a good weather during your travel.
Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2006, 06:08:24 PM »

I did a bit of checking - so far, on-line shops I've dealt with before (Modelimex, HobbyTerra, Jadar, NKR) don't seem to have the Hobby Boss MiG-3 or Yak-3 in stock. However, a British shop that my search engine provided

http://www.modelhobbies.co.uk/shop/

has a full list of these kits, including both the MiG and the Yak, and the individual kit pages say "In Stock". I haven't personally bought anything from Model Hobbies before, and I haven't e-mailed them to confirm that they really do have the kits.

John Thompson
Honza Jezl

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2006, 10:29:38 PM »

In Italy? Really? Where? Smiley
The weather is turning to sunny today. I wish you a good weather during your travel.
Massimo
Kind of duty trip to Latina. Weather was pretty nice, what didn't help a lot as I was most of the time somewhere inside 9and in latina itself there was not a lot to see). But at least I succeeded to save about 5 hours to look around Roma a bit. And now I hope I will save some hours for the MiG as well  Grin

According to the yak i didn't succeed to find one, but I've found very brief comment of one of the fellow modellers:
"From the distance it will ressemble the real thing.
Production errors: depressions on both upper and lower surfaces of the wings in the place of wheel wells. Some more depresions on wheel well covers on the opposite side of the ribs.
Errors according the real airplane:
1) flat sides of fuselage behind the canopy (if I understood it right) - on the kit has the bottom/side fuselage joint 90 degrees angle
2) wrong ribs on the rudder - 90 degrees angle to the axis of rudder rotation instead of parallel to airplane axis
3) wrong shape of the cooler - too sharp corners instead of bit more round
4) wrong pannel lines on the bottom of the wing - on the kit are cople of lines which were not present on real aircraft
Good things:
1) accurate canopy, although only in one piece
2) interesting markings

Hope it helps a bit
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2006, 07:00:39 PM »

Hi Honza, Smiley
welcome back.
The description of the Yak doesn't look so bad. It would be interesting to have a comparison to the Hasegawa kit to see if the shape is the same.
Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2006, 09:07:10 PM »

I got a note from Model Hobbies yesterday which says that my order for the Hobby Boss kits has been shipped, so it appears that this on-line shop *does* have stock of these kits, or can get them from a distributor very quickly. My order was for one each of the Hobby Boss MiG-3, Yak-3, and P-40B. I'll post a comment on the Yak-3 when I receive it.

John Thompson
Dark Green Man

« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2006, 12:38:57 AM »

is that P-40B also in VVS colors ?

[/color]

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2006, 06:54:49 AM »

Hi, Smiley
I've bought an already-built P-40B from Easy Model, I think it's similar. I hope that they added the doors of the main landing gear.
Perhaps one can use it as a cheap source of parts to kitbash a P-40 E, I fear that the existing models are scarcely accurate. I saw the EasyModel P-40E too, but, at my eye, it has some of the shape errors of the Academy, as the too tall canopy and the too rounded spinner.
Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2006, 08:56:28 PM »

is that P-40B also in VVS colors ?

[/color]

No, not according to the box art, but it *could* be...  Wink

John Thompson
Honza Jezl

« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2006, 12:11:19 AM »

Well, I saved couple of hours for modelling, so here is some progress.

First I have to say, that I had to strip off first painting of the cockpit - it was very bad (well, this was first time I was trying to paint cockpit on assembled kit and it simply didn't came off well). The second trial is better, but still far from being perfect. We will se after wash, drybrush and some additional details. Note also added thickness behind canopy.

Flaps in the main intake added:

Missing exhaust pipe added:

Missing navigation light on the rudder added as well:

Here we have original shape of the propeller hub:

Here after some shape corrections. Far from being perfect, but at least somewhat better:

How to conclude today's update... Thanks you guys for all the help and comments, but, well, where's that "easy assembly" kit?  Grin
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2006, 09:00:31 PM »

Hi Honza, Smiley
great photos of a great model. Here, in Italy, it's not yet available.
How did you strip off the first coat of paint inside the cockpit?
Don't forget the waste shells slot on the left side of the cooler cowling. I think that you can cut  it now by a shaped cutter blade, made narrow (1.5 mm I think) and rectangular by an abrasive disk.
Massimo
Audrius

« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2006, 09:09:00 PM »

hello Honza
it's looks damn nice!!  Shocked
Keep going man and post us following pictures as you advance with the model! Getting very nice!

BR Audrius
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2006, 08:07:26 PM »

Yesterday I received my order for Hobby Boss kits from Model Hobbies in the U.K., so it seems they are a dependable source for these kits. What I received was one each of the MiG-3, Yak-3, and P-40B/C.

I'll post a more detailed review of the Yak-3 as a new thread when I get time, but as a summary - if you're waiting for the ultimate 1/72 Yak-3 kit, this is NOT it. Overall, the kit is possibly worse than the existing Hasegawa, VES, and Heller/Smer kits. The P-40B/C, however, is extremely good, though not without a few flaws - about the same level of accuracy as the MiG-3. I'll include the P-40 if I get the Yak-3 post completed.

John Thompson
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2006, 09:10:00 PM »

Hi John, Smiley
About Yak-3: worse than Hasegawa is excusable, if it costs one fourth. Worse than Heller is a bad thing for shape errors. If you compare the Hasegawa and Heller kits, you see an extreme difference in shape and sections.
I am very interested to know more on this.
Massimo Smiley
Honza Jezl

« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2006, 09:44:55 PM »

How did you strip off the first coat of paint inside the cockpit?
Don't forget the waste shells slot on the left side of the cooler cowling. I think that you can cut  it now by a shaped cutter blade, made narrow (1.5 mm I think) and rectangular by an abrasive disk.

Hello
For striping down the cockpit colour I used Purisol from Agama. Put some drops of it into the cockpit, took old brush with firm hair and shuffle a bit. Purisol dissolves all the paint, but it is hard to get it out of the cockpit. So I drained the cockpit with a napkin, again applied Purisol, drained out...until there was almost no remnants of that dark black brown mixture...
According the comment - this time I have no idea what do you mean...

Jan
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: