Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
New 1/72 MiG-3 from Trumpeter
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 12:15:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: New 1/72 MiG-3 from Trumpeter  (Read 49347 times)
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2006, 07:15:31 AM »

Hi Honza, Smiley
here is the slot, or recess. It is visible on some drawings too (where it looks rectangular), and on the images of the plane exposed at MAKS 2005 too.
Massimo

Honza Jezl

« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2006, 08:59:39 PM »

Hi again,

well, some progress

Cockpit washed, drybrushed and airburshed with matt varnish.

The front part of canopy had very bad fit - there remained huge gaps along its sides. I filled them with Gunze Epoxy filler. The filler is only in the gaps - just to notice, how huge the gaps were:

There were some gaps after gluing inner wheel wells covers in place. They were filled with epoxy putty as well:

And finally I replaced original plates around exhaust with new ones made from piece of plastic sheet:

Oh, yes, the slot is also there but didn't take picture of it. But - it was not so easy to make it as it looked like. It would be far better to do it before gluing that cooler  Grin Thank for pointing out, anyway  Smiley
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 09:13:35 PM by Honza Jezl » Logged
Audrius

« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2006, 10:00:27 PM »

Nice progress Honza, please keep going and informing us!  Grin

Have you selected the color profile for your kit?

BR Audrius
Honza Jezl

« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2006, 11:39:43 PM »

Have you selected the color profile for your kit?

Good question in right time - last hour and half I was scanning colour profiles on this site. I wanted white one, but preferably worn white painted over green. The one I like the most is black 36 http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/mig3/black36.html.(BTW,  one picture is missing there Embarrassed) Gray panel on nose, green on side, black band on rudder, red star on spinner. Lovely. But I am not sure, if this one was originally green repainted with white as it doesn't seem to be as worn as other white MiGs on the picture. But I will take assumption that yes and I will make it a bit more worn (let's say one more month of extensive use  Grin)

But I have still some questions according (not only) colours:

1) white overall, but - wheel wells, legs, inner sides of wheel wells covers - white or blue? On the profile is rear wheel leg blue...so i think the answer should be "blue". But it probably depends on if the aircraft was painted white from the factory, or white was applied in the field over green/blue camo. I vote for second possibility.

2) colour of rockets and rocket launchers (or how to call that construction on which were rockets attached)

3) detail of rockets and rocket launcher - at least how the cables were attached

4) wheel disks - green?

5) hypothetic question - green panel more probably only on one side, as it was probably changed because the original white was damaged. I doubt that both panels were damaged at the same time and I have no other idea why to put there green panels other than replacing damaged ones.

Thanks in advance for any comments  Smiley
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 11:44:38 PM by Honza Jezl » Logged
Honza Jezl

« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2006, 01:32:48 PM »

One more general note about white overall aircraft

White overall were only those aircraft which were painted white in factory? Or there exist also some originally green/blue repainted to white overall in the field? because it doesn't make so much sense to overpaint light blue undersurfaces with white. And if so, I am almost sure, the demarkation line between green/blue will at least a bit show up through the white overpaint.

Why I am pointing this out - if I want to make that black 36 which is white overall, I probably should not represent green underlay showing up through the white overpaint. And that was the thing I wanted to do. Anyway - any idea about base colour used in factory under the white paint?

It's also possible, that I will have to find another colour profile...
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2006, 07:27:45 PM »

Hi Honza, Smiley
you're doing an excellent work. Please keep in mind that two lines on the windshield are not frames, but junctions of clear panels, and shouldn't be painted.
I strongly suggest to make not worn white on 36. There is no evidence that white paint wore off on MiG-3s, I think that they were repainted with temperate schemes on spring. Defects of white are likely due to negligent painting of the white coat.
I agree when you think that the panel could have been on one side only.
About the distinction between factory-painted and field-painted planes, it's hypothetical. All what we know is on the photos.
I suppose that landing gear and inner face of doors is light blue, and wheels were green.
Massimo
Honza Jezl

« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2006, 11:39:47 PM »

Hi Massimo

bad news today. The wind shield is already covered with paint. Well, the paint can be removed, but not traces of razor blade along framing. The true is that I am not checking every detail as it is not model for competitions, but I cannot believe that I overlooked so many things. Well, this mistake will remain and may be perhaps corrected on next MiG (if I will build any more  Grin)

According the paint wearing - I took this MiG  http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/mig3/red85.html from the same photo as reference or better to say - as an idea how it can possibly look like. Actually - this MiG shows probably blue undersides overpainted with white.

But...OK, I will go on with black 36 and just will try to make the coat a bit uneven and messed up just to look a bit realistic and not like a toy  Wink

Thanks again for all the comments, with these may my third or fourth MiG became quite accurate  Cheesy

Well, last pictures I took are before painting:

As my progress was getting little bit faster, I had to slow myself down again a bit - the needle used for highlighting the bigger rivets slided down...

Some basic detail added to the wheel wells:

Original pitot tube suffered from bad molding, so I better made a new one:

The bombs were also not molded correctly - upper part was moved a bit to the lower side, so there were some step on both sides. It took me about two hours to get them to this point and it is still far from being perfect (the small wings on rear part have wrong shape and are too thick) But I can live with that.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2006, 07:31:33 PM »

Hi Honza, Smiley
I suggest to remove paint all the same. Some matt traces on the windshield are compatible with the junction, probably glued, of clear panels.
Your camera is able to take extraordinary details. Or, are you using a microscope?
Massimo
Honza Jezl

« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2006, 10:04:05 PM »

I suggest to remove paint all the same. Some matt traces on the windshield are compatible with the junction, probably glued, of clear panels.
Your camera is able to take extraordinary details. Or, are you using a microscope?

Well, the problem is, that there is framing so traces are along both sides - what will definitely look strange.

And camera - I bougt Olympus C-770 UltraZoom about 1 year ago. Ability of the camera to take good details was one of the most important things while choosing the type. Although it is only 4 megapixel, i am very happy with it. From next picture you can see, that it is good for normal pictures as well  Smiley (it is from Spain, last year)

Honza Jezl

« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2006, 10:16:45 PM »

Well, back to the MiG. After airbrushing whole kit with Gunze surfacer I found out, that I forgot to remove rear wheel well doors and create leather cover instead. Well, even the kit was allready prepared for painting, I had to correct this:

Today is holiday (halloween), so in the morning I covered model in layer of surfacer again. Everything was OK, so I started intensive painting session. In the evening is all painting (including details like wheels and so on) finished. Or perhaps I will airbrush red stars as well, but I am not sure if I want to cut all those masks. One red star needs to be sprayed anyway - that one on the spinner. So we will see.

BTW, I assume, that on the upper surfaces were no stars - only lower surfaces, fuselage and rudder.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2006, 11:21:33 AM »

Very very good! Shocked
Massimo
Honza Jezl

« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2006, 12:20:11 AM »

Again small progress

I cut masks for all stars from rest of the masking sheet. I preferred to use this instead of Tamiya tape as it was easier to cut it. On other hand - the adhere of this material is much worse than Tamiya tape. Anyway at the end I was quite pleased with the result.

To mask this took me more than 30 minutes.

When removing masks I damaged paint job.

After reparation:

This time I took picture on white background to show irregular paint cover which was not noticeable on last pictures:

And here we have 7th star :-)
Honza Jezl

« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2006, 07:36:22 PM »

Hello again,
only to raise a question again:

I am still wondering about colour of those rockets. I haven't find any reference to these rockets on internet as well as in literature I have home. The best picture is on this site (http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/mig3/spring42.html but...doesn't help a lot. As a reference I took katyusha rockets - it looks like these were bare metal (or silver) with rear part (stabilizers) black. But rockets for MiG had very different shape. Is it possible, they were black overall with perhaps metal head and perhaps white (yellow?, red?) tip?
Still also wondering about that wire leading to the end of launchers (or rockets directly) In about five different sources are the same drawings showing that wire from the side, but no from upper/lower/front/rear side, so I have no idea if there are three wires or one. In case of three wires - leading from one spot in wing? Any ideas welcomed, thank you :-)

BTW, I have to stop the build for another 3 weeks, as I will be on a duty trip...and anyway waiting for clear decal sheet to print out the black number :-)
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2006, 11:23:27 PM »

Hi Honza, Smiley
your model is great! A marvel!
About rockets: unfortunately I have few to add to what you already know. Only, there is a small article of EP on Hobbyvista site about RS-82 rockets. They should be very similar, if not identical.
I suppose that the wire comes out from a central hole, and then divides into three for each rocket following the triple support, but I have not any image of it.
Massimo
Honza Jezl

« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2006, 08:14:08 AM »

Hi Massimo,

thank you for praise and help again - I found the article touching those rockets - it's very helpful

Jan
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: