Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
New SB by ICM 1/72
Sovietwarplanes
April 20, 2024, 01:42:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: New SB by ICM 1/72  (Read 20196 times)
Ioaea

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2006, 01:01:25 PM »

Their original name was Italaerei, then changed it into Italeri, some years ago I feared that their next name could have becomed Germaneri.*

Massimo

* That's very humorous, that is. Got me laughing over my cornflakes.

Well, John and Massimo --whilst having me breakfast, I had a poke around at the WW1 modellers group site (have you looked at some of the work there? Some of the larger scale aircraft/engines/dioramas are works of art in themselves. Incredible) *And* they have a mailing list...hmm. It's all self-contained and self-sufficient, a marvellous resource indeed, as Mr. Matt Bittner will attest to.

So we here have this excellent forum (and the other VVS one) and it's well-publicised enough, and from what I see in the uppermost sub-forum here we're about to get a face-lift of some kind and available in more than one language. It'll be good. But we can do more, as suggested. Send out some reviews to the other a/c modelling sites just to let 'em know that there was life before the MiG 15. Let folk spend a few euros on examples they might never have heard of before -it has to be good -more exposure to the wares of ICM, Amodel and who-have-you, as well.

As for link exchanges -sure, why not? We shouldn't overlook any other 'niche' category (ww2 french aviation and so forth) but the japanese aircraft site and Italian a/c equivalent are sure candidates (let's hope Italeri do more over the years ahead). Seeing as this is somewhat of an expensive hobby, greater *choice* and more variety for people unaware of ww2 aircraft that don't feature heavily in western history books would be both fun and productive, I believe.

Edit: Giving up cornflakes. Compels me to type long posts. : /

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2006, 11:16:32 PM »

Hi Ioaea, Smiley
your idea about niche site interlinking is interesting.
About writing reviews for other better known sites: this would be good too, I think that its publicity effect would exceed that of the publication of the same work on our own site.
I hope that the work on the rebuilding of the main site will proceed. My part of the site will be excluded from this reorganisaiton, simply because it is already too large to be modified without an HUGE work.

Massimo Smiley
Ioaea

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2006, 12:19:41 PM »

My part of the site will be excluded from this reorganisaiton, simply because it is already too large to be modified without an HUGE work.

Massimo Smiley

But it will still be readily accessible, right? Let's hope so.

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2006, 10:25:55 PM »

Hi, Smiley
yes, it will be accessible from the main page of the main site, exactly as today.
It would be nice to have its translation in Russian, but it's a too huge work to ask to anyone.
Massimo
Dark Green Man

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2006, 12:51:07 AM »

Hello Everyone !
please pardon my late response...
I find the discussion on this page very interesting.
all of you seem to have a good grasp of our niche in this hobby and are well aware of our laments.

Io, please do NOT give up Corn Flakes, I like your long posts.
the same thing goes for everyone else.

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
ChristianK

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2014, 07:03:26 PM »

Hi folks,
I know, it's an old topic. But I think my question fits in here: It's regarding the old MPM kit of the SB (in 1/72). Often I have read that this kit has a serious and unfixable issue with its fuselage cross-section. But honestly - I can't see it. Huh I compared the kit to photos of the original thing as best as I could, but if there is any difference at all, it's hardly noticable. Even when holding it against the plans in Maslov's book I cannot notice anything - actually the outline accuracy of the MPM kit seems to be quite good. Built-up examples give the same impression to me.

Please, can someone enlighten me here? Am I that blind? I do not want to throw my MPM kit in the trashcan just because the internet says so and against my own observations ...

Cheers,
Christian
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2014, 02:10:46 PM »

Hi Christian,
I have the impression of a too rounded section, should be more flat on the sides. But I haven't examined  the kit deeply.  Perhaps it's easier to fix this problem if one utilizes it for an USB scratbuilding the nose.
I remember to have compared the old Frog to the same drawings, and looked surprisingly accurate for its age.
Regards
Massimo
ChristianK

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2014, 03:02:18 PM »

Ah ok, you are right - it's the nose section! I always looked at the centre and aft fuselage. The cross section at the point were the nose glazing is fitted should be a little flattened at the sides, instead it's a perfect circle. This is hard to fix indeed, especially with this vac-formed clear part. Hmm ... will see what I can do about it - Thanks Massimo!
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2014, 05:16:55 PM »

You're welcome.
If you convert it into an USB, I would like to see it.
There are interesting photos of USB painted green and blue with silver nose, or of silver ones with green/blue nose. All the nose was a separate kit that could be fitted to any variant of SB.
As a possible alternative, a vacuformed glazing for the Frog is produced by Falcon and perhaps Paula. Probably it is better shaped, even if I can't assure this.

Regards
Massimo
KL

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2014, 07:57:05 PM »

my question fits in here: It's regarding the old MPM kit of the SB (in 1/72). Often I have read that this kit has a serious and unfixable issue with its fuselage cross-section. But honestly - I can't see it. Huh I compared the kit to photos of the original thing as best as I could, but if there is any difference at all, it's hardly noticable. Even when holding it against the plans in Maslov's book I cannot notice anything - actually the outline accuracy of the MPM kit seems to be quite good. Built-up examples give the same impression to me.

MPM Tupolev SB-2 model does have serious problems with fuselage cross section!!!  Nose cross section is circular while in reality it was pear shaped.  Nose is also visibly shorter than it should be.  Entire fuselage is wider than it should be.  All transparencies are wider than in reality.  Pilot's cockpit canopy is 100% useless, rear gunner's canopy is probably too shallow.

When compared with ICM model, there are differences in engine nacelles and wing trailing edge geometry.  Those are probably wrong  in MPM's kit too...

Why are you wasting your time with this (expensive!) model when much superior (and cheaper!) ICM model is available?

MPM's SB bomber:

ICM SB bomber:

« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 08:59:58 PM by KL » Logged
ChristianK

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2014, 01:37:56 PM »

Why are you wasting your time with this (expensive!) model when much superior (and cheaper!) ICM model is available?

Because I have it in my stash. Grin And probably because ICM doesn't offer an M-103 version. Perhaps I also like a challenge. And @Massimo: Yes, the Falcon vacform pieces are better shaped (and also clearer and thinner than their MPM counterparts). I have them here I and will try to marry them with the MPM kit. Of course the entire forward fuselage section has to be modified (and lengthened, yes), but I think it's managable. USB conversion - who knows? Maybe if I ruin the Falcon parts ^^ Will definitely post photos if I get it done.

Anyway, thank you both for your help! Very appreciated!

Christian
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: