Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
ICM Spitfire UTI 1/48,work in progress
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 11:40:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ICM Spitfire UTI 1/48,work in progress  (Read 10176 times)
marluc

« on: May 10, 2008, 04:14:15 PM »

Hello everybody:

After the excellent article about the P-39 two seaters by Massimo and as himself suggested me,I?ll show you my conversion work of the ICM Spitfire Mk.IX in 1/48 scale.
It?s a pretty accurate kit regarding its shape,but my example has a lot of sinks marks.And I really mean a lot:the wheels were useless and the ailerons had very deep sink marks,I filled them and after several sandings,all the detail was gone.So I?ve got to look after resin replacements.
I?ll use several aftermarket products:Eduard Zoom set #FE142,prepainted Seatbelts RAF WWII #49 006,Ultracast 4 Spoke wheels,Cutting Edge Flying Control Surfaces "early" CEC48235 and Ultracast Exhausts #48060.
The plane I want to make is this:

First of all,I made a little analysis of this plane:
According to ?Red Stars in the Sky? n?1 by Geust,Keskinen,Stenman and Niska,this Spitfire was modified by the 1? Aircraft Depot in Leningrad.It?s an Mk.IXc,with rounded rudder and ?not clipped? wings,the light bulb fairing over the wing tip is one of this kind of wing features.I must say that the great majority of the Spitfire that reached the Soviet Union during the GPW were of the Mk.IXe type with pointed rudder,?clipped wings? and armed with two 20 mm cannons and two .50 cal MG.
The back cockpit canopy is evidently the same as the front one,so this should have been taken from an unserviceable Spitfire.Behind the back cockpit,there is a plate on the side that should support the canopy rail in this thinner zone of the fuselage,which is the proof that a standard Spitfire was used.A gunsight can be seen in the front cockpit,so this plane could be armed with at least one or two small caliber weapons.A photo of this plane (showing the front left) that can be found in Monografie Lotnicze n?4,shows that the position formerly occupied by the cannon tube was still open,no fairing was added to close it.Perhaps a UBT MG was installed in its place,inside the weapons bay.
Regarding the colour,it looks like it could be green AMT-4 all around,with  white bordered red stars in the fuselage and  tail.No star can be seen under the wing,but this is because there is very dark shadow, should be one in this position.There is no evidence of stars over the wings.

Well,now I?ll show the modified kit.First,both halves of the ruselage to give you a general idea:

The sides of the fuselage:

I added the plates,made the canopy rails on the right and opened the access doors on the left.The one for the back cockpit is a totally guess,it?s placed exactly where the radio access hatch used to be in the unmodified Spitfire,so the cut on the fuselage was already there.One still flying warbird Spifire was modified into a two seater in this way.

I hope you like this work.This is all by now,I?ll post more photos.I also converted a Hurricane into a opened cockpits trainer bird,but the work is in the initial stage.It looks that I really don?t like modeling in the easy way.Best regards to everyone:

Martin
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 11:54:38 PM by marluc » Logged
Dark Green Man

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 05:55:25 PM »

very interesting and unusual subject matter!
I am sorry you are having such problems with the kit.
there were a lot of quality-control problems with the early releases but they seem to have gotten better as things went on.
in a way it is a pity you have already started, it would probably be a lot easier with a better (later) copy of the kit. (the boxed sets are well molded and have all the parts for all the versions)

but seeing as you have decided to press on anyway in spite of these difficulties you should be congratulated for doing this conversion (enough work on it's own) with all these extra headaches.

Kudos!
please keep up the most excellent work , when it is done you will have a very unique model in the gallery.

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
JP
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 06:47:45 PM »

Concur!  Very nice work.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 08:17:09 PM »

Hi Martin, Smiley
very interesting work!
What about the clear parts? Will you use a sliding hood from another kit, or you'll thermoform it?
Massimo
marluc

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 03:13:03 AM »

Gentlemen,thanks for your very kind words.

Paul:You?re right,it?s one of the early releases.But I must feel lucky,other examples had the landing gear legs messed up.

Massimo:my first idea was to use the one from the kit and one surplus taken from a Hasegawa Spitfire Mk.V.But I?ll try to thermoform a pair of hoods,as well as the fixed transparent piece that is between both cockpits.

Best regards:

Martin
Apex1701

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 12:57:27 PM »

Hi Martin,

very interesting subject.
I'm looking forward to see your progress.

Jean
Dark Green Man

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 11:55:11 PM »

Paul:You?re right,it?s one of the early releases.But I must feel lucky,other examples had the landing gear legs messed up.

this is the first I have heard of messed up landing gear legs.
most problems I'm aware of were the prop blades and the wheels/tires.
[/color]

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
marluc

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 11:01:17 PM »

Helllo Paul:

this is the first I have heard of messed up landing gear legs

This is the link to the building article I mean:
http://modelingmadness.com/scotts/allies/gb/spit9.htm
The wheels are as messed up as the ones from my kit.

Hello Jean:
It?s great you like it,I?ll post more photos later.

Best regards:

Martin
marluc

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 04:20:28 AM »

Hello friends:

More photos of the progress.This time,the cockpit interior;I must say that all the features and components of the back cockpit are pure guessing as no info of this zone is available.

Some parts are from the Eduard? P.E. set,the landing gear retraction system box on the right side is a copy of the Hasegawa Spitfire Mk.V piece with a scrap P.E. lever.

I left off the armour plate behind the seat because is superfluous in a trainer plane,made a new seat elevation lever and improved the appearance of the rudder pedals system.The control stick spade grip was taken from the spares box and the lower part is plastic and wires.The shelf behind the bulkhead is for a radio equipment.

I made the footrests and rudder pedals in a soviet figther plane style.The seat is from the ICM Yak-7 kit and also made a headrest.The instruments panel probably will come from the spares box or the ICM kit.
This is all by now,hope you like.Thanks for looking,best regards:

Martin
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 03:48:11 PM by marluc » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 10:35:36 AM »

Beautiful work, Martin. I like very much how the model is going.
Massimo Smiley
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 09:01:01 PM »

Really amazing - looks like a show-winner to me! Thanks for sharing the images.

John
marluc

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 01:08:35 PM »

Thanks a lot John for your very kinds comments,your words are encouraging.Best regards:

Martin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: