Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Trumpeter 1/48 MiG-3 Late version heads-up
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 11:25:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trumpeter 1/48 MiG-3 Late version heads-up  (Read 8436 times)
Apex1701

« on: July 03, 2008, 03:56:29 AM »

Hi guys,

just received the newest VVS 1/48 scale model; the Trumpeter 1/48 MiG-3 late version.

Hmm it looks good ;-)

Here are pictures of the sprues with the new nose and the new wings.

Three different decorations are given; (sorry for the quality)

- Black 7 is from 6IAP winter 41-42. The scheme seems to concur with Massimo's web page:
http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/mig3/black7.html

- White 12 from 7IAP. It's nose is black while Massimo's is dark green:
http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/mig3/white12.html

- White 95-test version for the AM-38 engine. Let's say It's a bizarre choice!!!
http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/mig3/mig3am38.html

All the best.

Jean

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 07:34:41 AM »

Hi Jean, Smiley
thank you for scanning these images.
I see that the elevators are on the same sprue of the replaced fuselage. Are they different in comparison to the previous kit of Trumpeter?
About painting schemes: I see that they inserted rocket rails on all 3 versions. I suggest to have a look to photos, if I remember well none of these planes had rockets.
Black 7 is often represented with gun pods; I have to say that none photo is available of this plane, the profile was traced on the base of other profiles and taking in consideration what was usual on MiG-3 in winter 1941.
I was surprised with the choice of plane 95 too. The number visible on the photo is very thin and could be written by chalk.
Massimo
marluc

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 08:47:55 PM »

Thanks Jean for the photos and the decal review.It?s good to see how the sprues look like:very detailed surface details and good fabric effect on the control surfaces.Best regards:

Martin
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 08:05:57 AM »

Hi, Smiley
to tell the truth, I don't love this style of reproduction of fabric-covered surfaces. If you look to photos of the real thing on any type of plane, the resemblance is poor.
Massimo
marluc

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 02:33:28 PM »

Hello:
Hi, Smiley
to tell the truth, I don't love this style of reproduction of fabric-covered surfaces. If you look to photos of the real thing on any type of plane, the resemblance is poor.
Massimo
You?re right Massimo,I noticed it.But,at least,it?s better than in the ICM kit.Best regards:

Martin
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 12:19:43 AM »

Hi Massimo!  Smiley I agree with your comment about rib detail on the control surfaces. This seems to be present on all Trumpeter MiG-3 kits regardless of scale, including (as I'm sure you've noticed) the Hobby Boss 1/72 MiG-3 (HB apparently being part of the Trumpeter company). I know this only too well - I've had a really annoying time trying to do a neat job of reducing the rib effect on the elevators of the 1/72 MiG-3, so much that I think I'm going to send Quickboost a suggestion to make new tailplanes and rudder in resin! Did you notice the ribs on the rudder of the Hobby Boss kit? One side is perfect; the other side has deep, overdone ribs like the elevators!

I think this excessive rib effect can be blamed on the manufacturer referring to the old Voronin drawings, without looking at photographs of the real aircraft.

John
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 10:37:47 AM »

Hi John, hi Martin, Smiley
this style of fabric effect is not only of Trumpeter. If I don't miss, many other firms as Revell have utilized it.
Other ones, as Italeri, have done an exaggerated recess effect on the main surfaces of kits as the SM-79 and CR-42, widely covered by fabric. On flat surfaces, the fabric should be nearly smooth, at least while the plane is stopped on the ground. Maybe, while flying, the air flow could bend it.
Massimo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: