Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
ICM LaGG-3!!
Sovietwarplanes
April 26, 2024, 07:42:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: ICM LaGG-3!!  (Read 19130 times)
Greg C.

« on: October 01, 2008, 12:01:39 AM »

I got my mits on one today, and it looks pretty good so far!

I haven't had a chance to compare it with other kits or with drawings yet, but the molding is very good, and reasonably clean.  The decals however look like the usual "trouble" I've come to expect from ICM.  Clear parts look good and thin.  More variants are on the way, as there are four different cowling choices in the box.  The only thing preventing construction of later versions (the kit depicts a series 4 aircraft..) is the lower-wing which presumably depicts the shape and position of the series 4 machine.

I have been thinking a series of parallel-builds might be fun, like the ICM LaGG alongside the same version from Vector, the SF La-5 with the Vector kit, and the La-5FN from both Vector and Zvezda.  Not to mention the two new Trumpeter MiG-3s!

Now would somebody get busy and re-do some Yaks?   Cheesy
Dark Green Man

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 05:17:11 AM »

I'm looking to get one or two for myself but aftermarket decals would be required for me anyway.
not that ICM's decals are bad it's that they pick the same boring subjects as everyone else.
doesn't anyone want to build something interesting?

Eduard re-issued the Accurate Miniatures Yak-1 & Yak-1b kits if you are interested.

what I would really like are accurate kits in 1/48th scale for the Yak-9D and Yak-7b with improved vision canopy. ("Bubbletop")
[/color]

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 09:14:10 PM »

Regarding Yaks, it would be very welcome if someone would also produce a new, accurate, well-detailed Yak-1b, in 1/72 scale.

John
Dark Green Man

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 06:04:47 AM »

Regarding Yaks, it would be very welcome if someone would also produce a new, accurate, well-detailed Yak-1b, in 1/72 scale.

oh yes , that too!? Cheesy
since I prefer to model in 1/48th scale that was where my head was at when I posted.
[/color]

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 08:17:20 AM »

Hi, i:)
it looks that the 1/48 scale can give much more satisfaction than 1/72 to Lavochkin lovers for a thematic collection.
Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 08:48:37 PM »

Hi, i:)
it looks that the 1/48 scale can give much more satisfaction than 1/72 to Lavochkin lovers for a thematic collection.
Massimo

Hi Massimo!  Smiley Yes, I think you are right. The new 1/72 La-5 series from AML has really not made it any better in the smaller scale - these are difficult kits to build, with some accuracy problems. So, we are left with the old (but really quite good) KP La-5FN, and also the VES/Cooperativa/etc. "LaG-5", with its onion-shaped cowling.

John
Greg C.

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 04:15:10 AM »

Eduard re-issued the Accurate Miniatures Yak-1 & Yak-1b kits if you are interested.

[/color]

I have several of the AM Yak-1s.  I've read conflicting accounts of their accuracy.  As noted before, I'm not too hard-core about such things, but to my eye, they've alwyas appeared a bit "stubby".  They are of course fine kits otherwise.  I even went out of my way to get one of the Eduard 1b boxings, just for the decals and extras.
 Wink
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 09:14:08 PM »

Hi Massimo!   Yes, I think you are right. The new 1/72 La-5 series from AML has really not made it any better in the smaller scale - these are difficult kits to build, with some accuracy problems. So, we are left with the old (but really quite good) KP La-5FN, and also the VES/Cooperativa/etc. "LaG-5", with its onion-shaped cowling.

Hi John, Smiley
Any hope for a retooling? I've read contrasting things about the accuracy of different versions made by AML.
Unfortunately, Zvezda has already an ugly La-5FN 1/72 in its catalogue, else one could hope in a scalin down of their recent release.

I have several of the AM Yak-1s.  I've read conflicting accounts of their accuracy.  As noted before, I'm not too hard-core about such things, but to my eye, they've alwyas appeared a bit "stubby".  They are of course fine kits otherwise.  I even went out of my way to get one of the Eduard 1b boxings, just for the decals and extras.

Hi Greg, Smiley
yes, the AM looks a good model, even if its canopy looks a bit too wide to my eye.

Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 06:42:33 PM »

From the October 17/08 Hannants' new arrivals list (Eduard canopy masks):
EDEX257 1:48 LaGG-3 (designed to be used with Revell kits) ?3.99 ?3.40
http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=EDEX257

"Designed to be used with REVELL kits"? Will Revell rebox the South Front or ICM 1/48 LaGG-3, or is it *another* completely new 1/48 kit, or is it a misprint?

John
Libor Jekl

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 08:20:54 AM »

Hi John  Smiley

It is a typo, on Eduard website is stated ICM kit.

Cheers
Libor
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 01:20:31 PM »

Hi Libor!  Smiley Thanks for the information - I hope everything is well with you!

John
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 08:11:40 AM »

Hi, Smiley
I've bought the ICM kit of LaGG-3 series 1-4, and it looks fully satisfying except for a thing: on one side of the fuselage the opening for canopy and rear windows looks out of register when compared to the surface details. An obvious error of moldmaking.
My question is: has anyone tried to assemble the model? One has to correct the surface details, or the opening itself?

Apart for this, it looks great.
I've seen yesterday the box and decals of type 9-11, and I was pleased for the decals of Mironov, with the black star and arrow as I drew on my profile page. I'm happy that it has been useful to someone.

Massimo
marluc

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2009, 01:28:35 AM »

Hello Massimo:

I have the same kit and I like it,but it has several tiny sink marks (almost an ICM trade mark).I started to assemble it and found the same flaw in the rear side windows but I didn?t solve the problem.I think that the surface detail should be corrected but I?ll try to find a good set of plans to see if the window openings are correct.I want to finish it as one of Galchenko?s winter 1942/43 paint scheme based on your article.
Best regards:

Martin
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2009, 05:21:21 PM »

Hi Martin, Smiley
thank you for the answer.
Have you tried a dry- assembling of the fuselage halves to check if the rear windows recesses are symmetrical, and if the canopy fits?
Massimo
marluc

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2009, 10:28:45 PM »

No,I didnn?t;I will do the dry assembly and tell you howit looks.Best regards:

Martin
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: