Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
ICM LaGG-3!!
Sovietwarplanes
April 25, 2024, 02:49:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: ICM LaGG-3!!  (Read 19129 times)
marluc

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2009, 01:37:40 PM »

Hello Massimo:

I did the dry fit of the fuselage halves and think that the rear windows are not misaligned,the openings just need a light sanding and the surface lines should be filled with putty;hope it helps.I didn?t try neither the canopy nor the front windshield,I?ll do it as soon as the fuselage halves are glued together.Greetings:

Martin
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2009, 08:10:36 PM »

Thank you Martin. Please, keep me informed.
Massimo Smiley
Dark Green Man

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2009, 06:03:52 AM »

I haven't started on my pair of LaGGs yet, but I want to get started soon.
(I have the 'series 1-4' and 'series 7-11')

Thank You for your helpful advice , I will keep it in mind for when the time comes.
[/color]

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
marluc

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2009, 11:23:41 PM »

Hello Massimo and Paul:

I?ve been working on the LaGG-3 and found some inacuracies.First,the above mentioned rear side windows:

On the right half,the panel line sorrounding the window is misplaced.I glued the rear window to the left side and there is a bad joint (red circle),this was done after light sanding to the opening.

Bad joint at the base of the windshield (red arrows) and a strange step in the canopy rails (red circle).

Panel line in front of the windshield on the right fuselage half (red arrows) don?t match the same line on the other half (purple arrows).
I added structure to the sides of the tail wheel bay and bottom of the cockpit side wall.

The kit has good surface details but many tiny sink marks on the fuselage side as a result of the inner structure of the cockpit interior.This is all by now,I?ve found moulding flaws on the ailerons underside but no photos yet.Best regards.

Martin

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2009, 02:19:05 PM »

Hi Martin, Smiley
thank you for your advices.
Please, keep us informed on the fitting of the sliding shield. Do the strange discontinuities in rails affect it?
Massimo
marluc

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2009, 09:59:17 PM »

Hello Massimo:

Do the strange discontinuities in rails affect it?

I really don?t know.I?ll leave the sliding hood opened so I?ll try it after the fuselage halves are glued together.Best regards:

Martin
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2009, 10:40:02 PM »

This must be "open season" for LaGG's! I've been working (if you can call it that) on a Dakoplast 1/72 series 66 lately. If it's any help, here's the "LaGG-3 Question and Answer" pinned thread from Scalemodels.ru:
http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_1505.html

Regarding drawings, part of the discussion seems to be about a revised version of the well-known Voronin/Kolesnikov LaGG-3 drawings, apparently created by the participant whose name is "Paul_S". On page 8 of the thread there is a link to the following page, where (I think!) a download of his drawings is available, but you need WinRAR to open the files (I haven't downloaded that software myself, yet):
http://narod.ru/disk/8249282000/mygrafend.rar.html
(You have to do this in the original Russian version - there's "CAPTCHA" protection on the download page which comes up blank in the translated version. It uses only numeric characters, though.)

In the above thread you will see a few images from a book which credits the fine artwork to someone named Massimo Tessitori, and also some links to this Tessitori fellow's sovietwarplanes.com web site... Wink

John
marluc

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2009, 12:09:37 AM »

Thanks for sharing these links John,very useful information as usual.I?ve been using the LaGG-3 pinned thread as a reference for my build.Greetings:

Martin
Dark Green Man

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2009, 06:17:10 AM »

Thanks again , John.
I've seen that forum page before ,but as has been said; it is a good reference.
(I'm downloading the diagrams right now)

as for Winrar...
there's an even newer one called 7zip that does zip .Rar and the new Z7 files that I found on a Russian download site.
(tons of books there!)

so I think it is high time you finally added Winrar to your computer.
Smiley? Smiley
(just some more teasing!)

[/color]

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2009, 12:25:23 AM »

Hi DGM - so, which do you recommend, WinRAR or 7zip? Since I don't plan to do anything more complicated than downloading and opening a few files, I suppose either one would do.

The Russian download site you mention - is it Farposst? I stumbled across another one which had almost every one of the Mushroom Modeller books on it (including Massimo's MiG-3 book) but I seem not to have bookmarked it; probably just as well, since it's best not to encourage the really glaring examples of copyright infringement!

John
Dark Green Man

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2009, 02:32:57 AM »

Winrar will unzip .zip and .rar files ,but 7Zip will also do the 7Zip files .
7Zip is more flexible and very easy to use.
it was available as a free download , but I can't remember where now. oops my bad!
recently I also found a free download for .DJVU files (high resolution images) as Farposst (SHH! keep that quiet) uses those ,too.

as for copyright infringement... some of the books I am looking for are in the Russian language from Russian publishers (usually) and some cases no longer in business.
also , I am not aware of any distribution method from Russia to the USA.
(I have gotten lucky a few times on ebay)
it is not that I am trying to cheat publishers of the 'proper payment for services rendered' it's that I do not know of another way to see the contents of those books.

[/color]
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 02:35:06 AM by Dark Green Man » Logged

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2009, 04:42:56 PM »

Hi all, Smiley
John, this is a very interesting link. There is some image I didn't know, maybe I could make some more profiles. Yes, very few LaGG-3s wear unusual camos, the painting was highly standardized.
I'll ask AR if he could kindly resume the news from this topic.
Personally, there is no problem if you download images from that site on the MiG-3 book. I don't know if it is still available on bookshops. Should I live with the profits of this book, I should close the web page on MiG-3.
However, they were the only ones honest enough to pay me for my work.
My profiles and images were utilized by other people for commercial use, sometimes  without even asking, or forgetting to pay what they promised.

Massimo.

marluc

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2009, 02:42:22 PM »

Hello everybody:

I?ve found this review (part 1) and building article (part 2) of ICM Lagg-3:
http://www.ipmsusa2.org/reviews/Kits/Aircraft/icm_48_lagg-3/icm_48_lagg-3.htm

It looks like the decals are too fragile and the spinner red star decal on one of Galchenko?s options don?t fit correctly.But this article is not the only one with complaints about the bad quality of the decals.
Greetings:

Martin
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2009, 04:15:12 PM »

I think everyone complains about ICM's decals - they are not very strong, and fall apart when you soak them or try to move them into place. They need to be strengthened with some kind of clear coating, like Microscale Liquid Decal Film.

John
Dark Green Man

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2009, 07:19:40 PM »

- they are not very strong, and fall apart when you soak them or try to move them into place. They need to be strengthened with some kind of clear coating, like Microscale Liquid Decal Film.

I thought everybody knew that. Smiley

it's also amusing that people still think a certain series with have this or that.
just build it as an early series 5-gun,4-gun or 2-gun machine and call it a day!
[/color]

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: