Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
New Book - Lavochkin Camo. & Markings
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 03:42:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Book - Lavochkin Camo. & Markings  (Read 4791 times)
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« on: December 13, 2008, 09:07:29 PM »

I saw this at the local hobby shop (Aviation World, in Toronto) - Militaria i Fakty No.48, "Lavochkin LaGG-3, La-5, La-7 Camouflage and Markings", by Robert Bock and Jacek R. Jackiewicz. Approximately 60 pages, of which about 2/3 are taken up with 4-view colour drawings of Lavochkin fighters, per the title. All text is in Polish. While the artwork is very attractive, I didn't buy the book - flipping through it, I noticed some colour schemes which are arguable at best - 3 or 4 brown/green schemes, Popkov's La-5FN "White 01" presented in overall light grey with blotches of brown and green (as shown on this page, which is not from this book:
http://airwar.valka.cz/sssr/la_05/index.php?page=zbarveni ),
 and Ahmet Khan's La-7 with a yellow spinner were the examples that I noticed which made me unwilling to spend almost $40 Cdn on it. Has anyone actually bought it and studied the paintings more carefully, to be able to give a better criticism of this book?

John
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 10:26:42 PM »

Hi John, 40 $? Not cheap for 60 pages, even in color.
Your description gives the idea that the artworks were copied from other artworks, isn't it?
Massimo Smiley
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 12:21:26 AM »

Hi Massimo! Smiley Without the book in front of me to compare it with other sources, I can't say if the artwork looks like it was copied or not. But (as you know better than I do) it must be very difficult to find new sources of this information, so I suppose it is difficult to criticize, as long as the author or artist gives credit to his sources. My comment about the yellow spinner on the La-7 of Sultan Ahmet Khan was made with the thought that, if this colour really is wrong, Erik Pilawskii also shows the same thing in his "Lavochkin Piston-Engined Fighters of WWII" CD, and the artwork in this book might have been "inspired" by Mr. Pilawskii's artistry! Wink

John
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 08:07:23 PM »

Hi John, Smiley
about Amet-Khan's plane: I remember some post that suggested that textual sources stated that the spinner should be red, and the apparently light look of the photo should be due to the direction of the sun. I'll have to study the thing before finishing my model, that at present time has a yellow spinner.
Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 08:54:04 PM »

Hi Massimo! Smiley Yes, that's exactly what I believed regarding the spinner colour (red!) and the lighting in the photo. Thanks!

John
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: