Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
LaGG-3 Drawings
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 11:38:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: LaGG-3 Drawings  (Read 7589 times)
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« on: January 04, 2009, 03:37:17 AM »

These may be helpful to anyone looking for a general reference to the detail variations among the various "series" of the LaGG-3:
http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Pq1KatwS
http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Pq1KbvnA

I found these on the Scalemodels.ru forum - a great place to look for reference material. I wish I could read Russian... Wink

John
Dark Green Man

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 06:31:50 AM »

Thanks , John !
Yes , you are right-Scalemodels.Ru is a great place to go 'trolling' for stuff.
in the upper right corner of the pages there is a British flag,click on that and (if it works) you will have the page in English in a little bit.
(not the greatest but, better than nothing)

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 04:59:12 PM »

I find that you can't open the images from the translated pages, though - you have to open them from the Russian pages.

I'd be interested to see a discussion of these LaGG-3 drawings; I suspect they are simplified and don't (or can't, because perhaps no one knows for sure) show all of the evolutionary changes made during the production history of the LaGG-3. This was a criticism also made against Hans-Heiri Stapfer's attempt to describe these "series" changes in his "In Action" book about the LaGG-3. Some sources resist the use of series-number designations altogether, but whether these designations were "official" or not (like the whole argument about Il-2, Il-2m, Il-2m-3), they are a useful way of identifying different versions without relying on complicated verbal descriptions.

John
Dark Green Man

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 06:45:25 AM »

actually I would also be interested in reading more about these drawings.
(I think there are some errors...)
do you have the link that the images came from?

the problem with most 'series' designations is that they fail to take into account it's series # from what factory !
as if the assumption that they were all the same and that couldn't be farther from the truth.
four different factories produced early LaGG-3's -Zavoda 21,23,31 & 153
it makes sense that there would be some differences in them
(the 56 machines made at Zavod 23 in Leningrad are the five-gun Lagg's-others had four guns)
[/color]

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 08:30:00 AM »

Hi all,  Smiley
I have partially opened these drawings (my connection is slow) and I'm sure that what I have seen is a rearrangement of the drawings of the book of Voronin and Kolesnikov, the same that I have utilized as a main source for MiG-3 ad LaGG works.

DGM, you are right saying that the indication should take into account the factory.
However, the drawings of V+K show some example that was commonly interpreted as a versions succession, and is useful as a first approximation to be understood writing on this subject.
AR should know much more on this subject.

Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 10:16:02 PM »

actually I would also be interested in reading more about these drawings.
(I think there are some errors...)
do you have the link that the images came from?

[/color]

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1505&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=60

Scroll down to the last post on this page (which is also currently the last post in the thread).

DGM, you are right saying that the indication should take into account the factory.
However, the drawings of V+K show some example that was commonly interpreted as a versions succession, and is useful as a first approximation to be understood writing on this subject.
AR should know much more on this subject.

Massimo

Maybe some day we will finally have an accurate history of this aircraft, although I am probably hoping for too much!

John
Dark Green Man

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 04:10:55 PM »

Thanks Guys!
I did some reading there and found a lot of debate and discussion but no real conclusions.
personally I suspect they may have had some conflicting sources and possibly some erroneous ones.
one thing many people still do not understand is that the V+K drawings were specific samples of aircraft of a certain series and not meant to be accurate for all factories.
even in that Russian forum they refer to 'series 66' as if it were the only one, not series 60-70 as the Tbilisi Oblegchenniys can also be described.

p.s. here's a link to a nice build of the South Front LaGG-3 kit:
[/color]
http://modelism.airforce.ru/gallery/albul/lagg-3/index.htm
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 04:53:06 PM by Dark Green Man » Logged

John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 06:46:49 PM »

p.s. here's a link to a nice build of the South Front LaGG-3 kit:
[/color]
http://modelism.airforce.ru/gallery/albul/lagg-3/index.htm

Wow - nice build indeed! I love what he did with the elevators! Hmmm - that could be the solution for all the MiG-3 kits in various scales (Hobby Boss included) which relied too much on the V+K MiG-3 drawings for excessive rib detail on the elevators and rudder. I wonder what I could use for "fabric" in 1/72 scale...  Wink

John
Dark Green Man

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 05:30:49 AM »

I believe he used Aluminum foil.
the translation is not very specific, there was a word that was not translated.
the word 'foil' was translated, though.
[/color]

John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 05:17:44 PM »

Those Russian modelbuilders are amazing. I attempted an on-line translation too; the word "foil" could mean just about any thin material. But going further into the text, it seems that what he actually did was to use the rebuilt elevators (and also the flaps and ailerons he made from scratch) as masters, to cast new ones from resin! Just amazing...

John
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: