Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
I-16 Type 5 seat?
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 09:57:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: I-16 Type 5 seat?  (Read 13384 times)
ChristianK

« on: February 21, 2009, 09:38:19 PM »

Gentlemen,
I am just building (i.e. carve+scratch) the Amodel I-16 Type 5 kit and wonder how the seat in this early version might have looked like. Was it the one with the seat shell separated from the headrest or was it a "full" seat?
Walkarounds in the Web don't help here (I don't trust those restaurations), as well as the Armada or Midland publications. So could anyone help here with a contemporary interior shot?

Cheers,
Christian
marluc

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 12:49:19 AM »

Hello Christian:

As far as I know the seat was separated from the headrest because the type 5 had no back armour as on Type 10 and onwards.But during the war some Type 5 could have been retrofitted with the back armour and headrest.This is my interpretation of the Type 5 seat as I made it for a 1/48 model I?m about to finish:

It?s a seat taken from an Airfix Hurricane and modified.
And this is a page from Armada book by Maslov:

As you can see,there?s a drawing of the seat and I think the Type 5 seat should be like this,with a cushion added to the upper portion.
I hope this information will help you,best regards:

Martin

Martin
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 03:49:43 AM »

How about this, from Pavla:
http://www.pavlamodels.cz/katalogy/detail.php?k=seats&c=S72038&styl=styly.css

John
ChristianK

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 04:57:25 PM »

Thank you Martin and John, the missing back armour was the information I was looking for. So I will go for the seat without integrated headrest. Is it for sure that there was an additional cushion or did the pilot's parachute fullfill this task?

In the meantime I found this picture in the Midland book:

This proofs Martins statement but there is also no cushion on the seat...

BTW: The Pavla seat looks very nice, but it seems to be not for the I-16, as it doesn't fits the drawing from Maslov. Who is right?

BTW2: Looks very good what you have there so far, Martin!
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 07:45:21 PM »

Hi Christian! I thought the Pavla seat looked very similar to the seat shown in the drawing from Maslov's book, provided by Martin. My guess (and it's only a guess!) is that this seat was used in the Polikarpov biplanes, and carried over into the early I-16 types.

John
marluc

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 10:34:13 PM »

Hello Christian:

Thanks a lot for sharing this photo.I can se what looks like a padded section in vertical stripes on top of the backrest.

Is it for sure that there was an additional cushion or did the pilot's parachute fullfill this task?
Definitely,the pilot's parachute is the "cushion".

My guess (and it's only a guess!) is that this seat was used in the Polikarpov biplanes, and carried over into the early I-16 types.
I think that John?s guess is totally credible.Pavla?s seat looks just like the I-15 seat I?ve seen in Maslov?s book dedicated to this plane.
It?s great you like the work I?ve done,thanks a lot for your kind wordsi.If you want to see more just look for the Hobbycraft I-16 Type 5 WIP in the Modelling section.
Best regards:

Martin
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 08:10:06 AM »

Hi, Smiley
about the back cushion: I think that it's an optional, a thin cushion hold in place by laces. It appears on the drawings of the seat of MiG-3 too, but very rarely on photos.
The parachute bag should be under the pilot's back, in the lower seat recess, and acts as a cushion. Probably the parachute moves into an higher position when it opens and sustains the pilot.
I've seen somewhere photos of a UTI-4 preserved in Finland; I don't remember exactly how the seat was, but perhaps it worths a look. Who remembers where those photos are?
Massimo
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 08:14:07 AM by Massimo Tessitori » Logged
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 06:13:49 PM »

I've seen somewhere photos of a UTI-4 preserved in Finland; I don't remember exactly how the seat was, but perhaps it worths a look. Who remembers where those photos are?
Massimo

Here it is:
http://scalemodels.ru/modules/photo/viewcat_cid_246.html

John
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 10:40:52 PM »

Looking further, here's a walkaround of an I-16 which shows some of the upper part of the seat to help confirm what's been said so far:
http://walkarounds.airforce.ru/avia/rus/polikarpov/i-16/

See this image in particular:
http://walkarounds.airforce.ru/avia/rus/polikarpov/i-16/vf_i-16_65.JPG

John
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 11:39:59 PM »

And this is a page from Armada book by Maslov:

As you can see,there?s a drawing of the seat and I think the Type 5 seat should be like this,with a cushion added to the upper portion.

I seem to have bought the wrong Maslov I-16 book, which doesn't have these drawings!? Sad The one I have is this one, which I bought a couple of years ago before the prices at Aviapress went insane:

http://www.aviapress.com/viewonekit.htm?EXP-021

Now I have the pleasure of hunting down another rare reference book!

John
ChristianK

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 12:31:19 AM »

Now I have the pleasure of hunting down another rare reference book!

John

Err, why don't you use the scan that Martin just posted?? Which kind of drawing does your edition of the Maslov book feature? If you want I could scan the drawings from my edition (which also has those drawings) and mail them to you..
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 01:33:54 AM »

Err, why don't you use the scan that Martin just posted?? Which kind of drawing does your edition of the Maslov book feature? If you want I could scan the drawings from my edition (which also has those drawings) and mail them to you..

I'm guessing that the Armada book has more in it than just the drawings posted above. Actually I already found that image in a thread on Scalemodels.ru. The book I've got (which really was written by Mikhail Maslov) was published by Exprint in 2005. It is mostly photographs and Russian text, 48 pages, with a total of 8 colour profiles inside the front and back covers. The only drawings are on a fold-out page which attempts to show the differences among the various I-16 "types", although this is not very detailed.

Thank you for offering the scans - how many pages of drawings are there? I don't want to give you a lot of work! Wink My e-mail address is jthmpson(at)eol.ca, if you want to give it a try, though.

John
ChristianK

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 02:09:36 AM »

John, you got mail!
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 01:46:01 PM »

Looking further, here's a walkaround of an I-16 which shows some of the upper part of the seat to help confirm what's been said so far:
http://walkarounds.airforce.ru/avia/rus/polikarpov/i-16/

See this image in particular:
http://walkarounds.airforce.ru/avia/rus/polikarpov/i-16/vf_i-16_65.JPG

What a strange windshield!
I suppose that it is an original frame of late I-16 (or, at least, a fair imitation) but reversely mounted on the fuselage, and fitted with non-original clear parts.
Massimo
marluc

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 08:08:03 PM »

Hello Massimo:

What a strange windshield!

The text at the top of the page explains that the plane is an UTI-4 converted into a single seater.So,the windshield is strange because it?s the one for the back cockpit in the UTI version that wasn?t replaced.Please,take a look at the photo below to see what I mean:

I think the second cockpit windshield looks like the one in the "converted" I-16.
Best regards:

Martin
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: