Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
"Famous" Il-2 'Avenger' nose colour & was it real?
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 03:38:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Famous" Il-2 'Avenger' nose colour & was it real?  (Read 24163 times)
FPSOlkor

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2012, 07:45:59 PM »

According to movie director Balasanyan this airplane at some time at least belonged to Nelson Stepanyan, and it was bought for the money of Armenian Advocats colleague and workers of kolkhoz named after Stalin, - info from newspaper @Kommunist@  26 nov 1944. The airplane was bought, named, and passed to Stepanyan. It might have been damaged and sent for repairs, moving to VVS unit later...
KL

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 08:07:16 PM »

Hi Oleg,

"Mstitel" was a popular slogan - many planes (both fighters and bombers) and tanks had it.  IMHO, Il-2 "Mstitel" photographed over Berlin in 1945 doesn't have to be Stepanyan's, it could be one of the many.

Balasanyan's memoirs are loaded with propaganda, he is not a very reliable source.  It is clear that Stepanyan received Il-2 bought by Armenians.  Plane probably had "Mstitel..." slogan.  There are no photos of this plane  - very strange considering that the plane was delivered by a famous Armenian movie directorHuh

Balasanyan's text is available at http://airaces.narod.ru/all7/stepn_ng.htm
Berlin Il-2 with "Mstitel" slogan is not even mentioned...

26 Ноября 1944 года в газете "Коммунист" опубликовано сообщение о вкладе трудящимися Армянской ССР личных сбережений в фонд обороны СССР:

"Члены коллегии адвокатов Армянской ССР собрали из своих личных сбережений 115 000 рублей и внесли в Госбанк в фонд обороны Союза ССР. Адвокаты выразили желание приобрести на эти деньги боевой самолёт и вручить его Герою Советского Союза Нельсону Степаняну.

Парторг колхоза имени Сталина села Нор кянк, Артикского района, Армянской ССР Ерем Погосович Аракелян свои личные сбережения в сумме 100 000 рублей внёс на постройку боевого самолёта. В письме к товарищу Сталину Аракелян просит на эту сумму приобрести истребитель самой последней конструкции и вручить его лётчику, Герою Советского Союза Нельсону Степаняну.

Председатель колхоза им. Сталина села Авдалар, Котайкского района, Григор Айрапетович Тевосян, по примеру знатного патриота - колхозника Ферапонта Головатого внёс 100 000 рублей на приобретение боевого самолёта новейшего типа. Тов. Тевосян в своём письме к товарищу Сталину просит самолёт назвать "Мститель" и передать Герою Советского Союза Н. Степаняну".

Узнав о моём намерении побывать на передовой и сделать репортаж о своих земляках, Генерал армии О. Баграмян сказал мне, что в частях фронта имеются армяне - офицеры и солдаты. Генерал армии посоветовал мне первым долгом отправиться в 35-й Гвардейский Краснознамённый Балтийский полк штурмовой авиации, гда служил подполковник Нельсон Степанян. И мы поехали в Палангу...

По инициативе командира полка в наше распоряжение был выделен самолёт По-2, на котором мы вылетели для очередных съёмок.

То были дни отступления немецких войск, но иногда фашистским самолётам удавалось прорваться к Паланге. Каждый из лётчиков поднимался в воздух по 5 - 6 раз подряд, один против нескольких вражеских самолётов.

В тот день в полк поступил посвящённый Нельсону боевой самолёт "Мститель" с препроводительным письмом. Нельсон с любовью принял самолёт и из письма узнал, что это подарок земляков.

И вот, "Мститель" в воздухе. Его штурвал в надёжных руках Нельсона. Он вылетел на "охоту", он обязательно отомстит за кровь двух братьев Григора Тевосяна. Как говорят в народе: "Кровь - за кровь, смерть - за смерть !"

Нельсон вступил в бой с тремя "Мессершмиттами". У него было одно единственное преимущество - беспримерная отвага. Завязался бой. Храбро штурмуя, Нельсон сбил один из атакующих самолётов противника. Отважный советский сокол верил в свою победу и ринулся против остальных. "Мститель" кружился, словно жук, вокруг немецких самолётов, обдавая их свинцовым дождём.

Самолёты стремительно приближались друг к другу и отходили. Второй самолёт, окутанный пламенем и дымом, пошёл к земле, совершая крутые виражи. Третьему "Мессершмитту" удалось уйти. "Мститель" выполнил свой первый долг - отомстил за кровь погибших Тевосянов.

На аэродроме нетерпеливо ожидали возвращения Нельсона. Командир полка Василий Петрович Кузьмин, расположившись в радиоузле, с напряжённым вниманием и волнением следил за небом.

- Ах, этот Нельсон, - говорил он, - до каких же пор будет мучить своих товарищей.

"Mcтитель", наконец, приземлился.

На аэродром лёг саван ночи. На другом конце леса отчаянно прорезали небо лучи прожекторов.

( Из дневника заслуженного деятеля искусств Армянской СССР, кинорежиссёра Г. Баласаняна )
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 08:37:35 PM by KL » Logged
barneybolac

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 09:29:31 PM »

Thanks KL I always wondered what was exactly written on that page.

Question for you the new pictures I had posted of Stepanyans plane from the other thread. I thought those photos were individual frames from a news reel & now that we know it was delivered by a director is it possible it is the same plane as in this thread?

http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=995.30

KL

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 11:24:32 PM »

Question for you the new pictures I had posted of Stepanyans plane from the other thread. I thought those photos were individual frames from a news reel & now that we know it was delivered by a director is it possible it is the same plane as in this thread?

http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=995.30

No, two different planes flown by Stepanyan.

Balasanyan writes about the Il-2 that was presented to Stepanyan in 1944. He also specifies place: Palanga.  Palanga is a town in Lithuania, on the Baltic coast.  It was liberated on October 10th 1944.

Stepanyan was commander of the 47 shap VVS KBF (not 35 Guards shap KBF as Balasanyan writes) from April 1944 to 14th December 1944 when killed in action.  47 shap arrived in Baltic region in May 1944 and remained there till the end of war.

Considering date when Palanga was liberated and date when Stepanyan was killed, Balasanyan's Il-2 was presented between mid October and mid December, most likely sometimes in November 1944.

The plane was supposed to be of the "latest type" (that was donors request); a brand new Il-2 with swept back metal wings would be possible.  According to Balasanyan, this Il-2 had a name - "Mstitel".

Strange that there are only 1945 photos of Mstitel Il-2 by M. Redkin and absolutely no photos from November 1944. 
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2012, 03:03:24 PM »

Hi,
this is my recent attempt to reproduce  this plane.

This famous Il-2M3, probably freshly repainted for a propaganda film over Berlin on April 30, 1945, contrasts with the darker and low-contrasted planes on the background. It was long discussed if the markings were real or painted on the photo, but the existence of more than one image of the same plane seem to confirm that it was real. It's unclear why the planeson the background don't bear any bort number.

Airplanes belonged to the squadron commanded by Senior lieutenant V. Bondarenko, unknown regiment of 198th ShAD, 16th VA.

The plane show contrasting characteristics that don't allow a sure attribution to a factory; the guns fairings are squared, as used in Z.1 and 30; the tail wheel arrangement looks of Z.18 (or of Z.30 but without the boot); the angular shape of the main wheel doors is different from that of the plane on the background, that is certainly of Z.1. The large stars are not as the smaller ones of Z.30. On the whole, the plane looks repaired with pieces from other ones and then repainted for the movie.
Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2012, 05:58:24 PM »

Looks very nice, Massimo!  One for the book, I would think (and yes, I am still working on it - I just finished reading and making corrections/revisions to the whole thing, which I need to transfer to the electronic version).

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2012, 07:35:57 AM »

Hi Jason,
very well. I'll make soon a revision of the already done drawings and I'll send to you the files. I'm just thinking to make a chronological table of modifications, divided for factory.
Regards
Massimo
KL

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2013, 09:55:31 PM »

This famous Il-2M3, probably freshly repainted for a propaganda film over Berlin on April 30, 1945, contrasts with the darker and low-contrasted planes on the background. It was long discussed if the markings were real or painted on the photo, but the existence of more than one image of the same plane seem to confirm that it was real. It's unclear why the planeson the background don't bear any bort number.

Airplanes belonged to the squadron commanded by Senior lieutenant V. Bondarenko, unknown regiment of 198th ShAD, 16th VA.

new information at http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_7288_start_700.html

газета :"Советская Белоруссия" № 49 от 16.03.2006
ЗАЩИТНИКИ ОТЕЧЕСТВА: Геринг обещал господство в небе. Володя Бондаренко победил рейхсминистра
Необычный снимок из фронтовой газеты принес в редакцию минчанин Борис Прокофьевич Шаблинский, бывший механик 567-го штурмового авиаполка, входившего в состав 1-го Белорусского фронта. Штурмовики ИЛ-2 над поверженным Берлином 1 мая 1945 года. На переднем плане -- самолет с надписью `Мститель`. -- Так вот, -- говорит Борис Прокофьевич, -- этот ИЛ-2 вел мой боевой товарищ Володя Бондаренко.

Finally!!! Not an unknown regiment any more ? this was 567 shap Il-2.  For its distinguished role played during the Berlin operation, regiment was actually named 567th "Berlin" ground attack air regiment.
567th shap was part of  198th shad, which was part of the 6th shak.
6th shak was part of the 16th VA (16th Air Army).

Mstitel?s pilot was squadron commander V. Bondarenko as we guessed before.

HTH,
KL

learstang

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2013, 11:31:36 PM »

Thank you for the information, Konstantin!

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2013, 03:40:45 PM »

Hi Konstantin,
thank you for the information. I'll update the page.
Regards
Massimo
KL

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2013, 07:52:45 AM »

Hi Massimo,
You could also rework the text.  IMHO there is no need to stress that this was a propaganda film (it was a series of photos, not a film anyway).  Please don't get me wrong, I am finding following statements questionable, inappropriate and redundant

This famous Il-2M3, probably freshly repainted for a propaganda film over Berlin on April 30, 1945
On the whole, the plane looks repaired with pieces from other ones and then repainted for the movie.

April 30th action was a combat mission.  Planes were armed, they flew over the parts of the city that were still in German hands and they attacked German strongholds. 
Does the fact that the photos were taken by a Soviet war correspondant automatically make them a propaganda?  Similar photos/movies made by American or German war correspondants are called "documentaries"....

I am also finding that "repainted for a movie" extremely unlikely - plane may have been repainted because it was damaged.  Repainting  an entire  plane to get a few grainy black and white photos would be a total waste of time and paint.

HTH,
KL
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2013, 02:38:13 PM »

Hi Konstantin,
ok, I'll remove the thing on the propaganda movie.
Regards
Massimo
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: