Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Airacobra in AMT-11/-7 overall?
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 05:21:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Airacobra in AMT-11/-7 overall?  (Read 9075 times)
ChristianK

« on: October 24, 2008, 02:14:49 PM »

Gentlemen,

long time no see, but I think I've found something special for you. This Airacobra is pictured in Freundts/B?ttners "Rote Pl?tze", page 36 (great book, anyway), during an engine change on an airfield in Germay. It is finished in a light grey color overall, maybe AMT-11 or -7. I believe that this color is not just faded olive drab because the coloration is very consistent and the original serial is missing, i.e. overpainted. Also note that the fuselage and upper wing color is most likely the same as the color of the gear cover, so this Airacobra might be finished in one single grey indeed. Also compare "White 44"s appearance with the other aircraft visible on the pic.

What do you think?

Regards,
Christian
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 02:46:29 PM by ChristianK » Logged
marluc

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 08:45:51 PM »

Hello Christian:

It?s a very interesting photo,thanks a lot for sharing it with us.
Best regards:

Martin
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 09:07:50 PM »

Hi Christian, Smiley
interesting photo indeed. I think that your conclusion is likely.
The struts of the canopy looks to have preserved a darker color, possibly original OD or green.
Do you know the year in which the photo was taken?
Massimo
ChristianK

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 09:42:36 PM »

Hi,
the caption says the photo was taken around the end of war on a german airfield. As the soldiers on the picture are still wearing their cold weather clothes, early spring 1945 seems likely. Autumn of 1944 is still a possibility, even though I believe the two Kingcobras visible in the picture point to early 1945.

P.S. The dark color on the canopy struts is just the shadow of the mobile crane. The paintwork seems to be rather fresh.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 03:40:34 PM »

Kingcobras... the small planes on the background?
About the dark color of the frames: I am not sure to see the shadow on the white cloth on the canopy.
Massimo Smiley
marluc

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 06:17:07 PM »

The plane that can be seen near the tail of "white 44" and has the cockpit covered by a tarpaulin,looks like a Kingcobra or a four blade P-39.The one on the left is undoubtely an Airacobra,and at least one in the background looks like a P-39 to me.
Best regards:

Martin
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 07:50:45 AM »

Hi, Smiley
I see. Four blades... the shape of the tail should be decisive do distinguish between these types, but it's not visible for the four-blades plane.
Massimo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: