Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
"North Korean" Mig15's in camouflage, any ideas on colours?
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 12:20:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "North Korean" Mig15's in camouflage, any ideas on colours?  (Read 10350 times)
Troy Smith

« on: March 02, 2011, 01:26:27 AM »

Hi all
(i did this on the invision site, but as this one is up aagin..)

I know that photos of Mig15's flown by VVS Pilots in the Korean war are rare, I'm wondering if there is any information on the colours used to camouflage the Migs?

The profiles I have seen show green/sand uppers over blue undersurfaces, has any better information surfaced?  From what I have seen these were field applied schemes?

Any more photos? i got a download of an out of print Russian book on the Mig15 that had a few photos but that's about all I have seen. (pdf on other computer, when I get chance i'll post pics)
Some of these photos are in the Osprey Mig aces book if I remember correctly.

there are some profiles here. 

http://www.acig.org/artman/publish/article_317.shtml

Would Mig 15's of this era still be in A-14 Grey inside, or would the switch the the turquoise colour have started? (what is the proper name for this?)

Just I have seen colour photos of Mig 15's showing both colours is why i ask.

any relevant information or pics would be of use.

Thanks
T
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 11:04:32 PM »

Hi,
I've found this on a recent Aviacia i kosmonautika

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I hope that it will be useful.
About colors, I can suppose that are those of GPW, maybe in gloss version.
Regards
Massimo
Troy Smith

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 07:32:21 PM »

HI Massimo

thanks for that. 

On the page you linked to I noticed this photo as a thumbnail

which shows very similar colors to two of the Mig 15 profiles.  This does not look like  GPW colors though.
the other look filed applied.  Were Mig supplied camouflaged later one in the Korean war?

Is there any more information on these planes?   Anyone seen photos on which the profiles are based?

thanks
T
KL

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 08:22:26 PM »

Hi Massimo, Troy, & others,  Smiley
profiles Massimo posted are from the new book "Soviet Aces of the Korean War" by I. Seidov, illustrated by S. Vahrushev:

Book is new, expensive, atractive and there are some positive reviews, including:

http://www.hyperscale.com/2011/reviews/books/sovietacesofkoreanwarbookreviewcs_1.htm

But, for better assessment check
http://forums.airforce.ru/showthread.php?t=3437

It's an argument beetween Seidov and Vehrushev on one side and Korean war authorities Krilov and Tepsurkaev on the other side.  Conclusions:  Book is biased, based mostly on memories of Soviet veterans, author was very critical and selective when dealing with USAF data.  Book is made for veterans, many profiles are pure fantasy - author and illustrator admit this.
Korean War Mig-15 photos are extremely rare, in many cases only analogies are posible.  Tepsurkaev (he is an artist) would be the most reliable source.

Cheers,
KL    
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 08:29:40 PM by KL » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: