Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Hurricane IIb Silver/White 60
Sovietwarplanes
April 18, 2024, 09:27:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hurricane IIb Silver/White 60  (Read 11228 times)
gbyrnsie
« on: April 06, 2006, 08:04:45 PM »

Hi all. In all the times I've been to this site I never noticed there was a forum. Roll Eyes

Over on the other VVS forum just before it went down there was some discussion about this plane which had crash landed in Findland. I was hoping some of the people who posted over there also post over here. I recall that it was said that it was armed with the British standard 12 brownings. I am interested to know if it had a tropical filter or not, if it still had the bomb rails attached, if the outboard leading edges were painted yellow and if it carried British national markings in the usual places which were then painted out by the Soviets. There are several decal sets for this plane in 1/72 and 1/48 but they are all slightly different on these points. For example one indicates the underwing rondels were painted out but shows no evidence of former markings on the uppers. If anyone can share any information on this particular craft it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

GB
Audrius

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 09:52:38 PM »

hello GB
wellcome on board!
Despite that what was mentioned to your post on ARC forum I could add that there was no RAF national markings. At least so could be observed from quite poor picture I saw.
BTW BM959 had no tropical filter and the leading edge it seems had no yellow strips.
The Finns has used this Harricane for spare parts rebuilding another Russian Hurricane downed in Finnish territory and captured after that Z2585  Nr.42 with white band on the fuselage.

The picture of both included

Taken from Suomen Ilmavoimen Historia No.7_Venalaiset Havittajat (Soviet a/c in Finnish service)

BR Audrius
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 10:12:46 PM by Audrius » Logged
Dark Green Man

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 10:36:25 PM »

Audrius,
thank you for the info and photos. Grin
this info comes in just in time as I am in the finshing stages of a model of that very plane.
not having to paint over the British markings is a lot easier.!
also I am not fond of the yellow leading edges either.

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
Audrius

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 10:55:06 PM »

hi DGM
you are wellcome! Nice to contribute. Please share with the pictures of the model after you complete it. Would be nice to see.
BTW it is still a question about bomb rails. Perhaps with the time there will come more information from the Finnish sources as they seems loved to make many pictorial evidences of it's trophy  Grin

BR Audrius
Audrius

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 09:57:05 AM »

hello
by the way what you fellas think about the colors and shades of tactical number, inscription and wolf on tail? Nevertheless it is widely accepted as all it was done in silver I have doubt to speak frankly. I guess it is obvious that the shade of "60" is different from the inscription and wolf.
Perhaps only "60" was silver (if it was at all) and all the rest just white. Have a look to the white outline of the star: it resembles the similar shade as the inscription and wolf.
I have heard that in Scale Aircraft Modeling of 2001yr. p.338 there was a letter from the  Tikkakoski that describes some details of this Hurri captured by Finns. Does anyone has this issue of SAM?

And rest- what is the color of "60" outline in your oppinion- black or red?

BR Audrius
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 01:24:23 PM »

Hi, Smiley
the star outline, the wolf and the inscription look not lighter than the "60" on photos I saw. Their contrast with the grey camo looks very poor.
Maybe I could look for some old Finnish correspondant...
Massimo
Dark Green Man

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 11:32:42 PM »

I agree with Audrius....
those markings are not silver.
the "60" is most likely done with a stencil and spray-gun, the remainder were probably done by hand using a paint brush and may have some 'show through'

on the left side the stars could have white or yellow border and the right side does not seem to have a border at all...

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: