Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Sukhoi T-49 from A-model
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 12:41:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sukhoi T-49 from A-model  (Read 2972 times)
Greg C.

« on: May 23, 2009, 08:58:44 PM »

As an obsessive fan of Cold War Soviet stuff, I'm really excited to see this one.
The T-49 was a single-copy research platform developed by Sukhoi in response to the growing problem of locating ever larger and more sophisticated radar units inside conical, moving center-bodies that characterized Soviet high performance designs up to this point.  The genealogy of the T-49 is a bit complex.  The aircraft itself was a conversion of the abandoned T-37, which itself was a conversion of one of the PT-8 pre-production aircraft.  All these models were products of the development program that eventually led to the Su-9 interceptor.  Why is all this important?  Because Amodel's kit of the T-49 is based on their Su-9 and 11 kits.  While the Su-9 and 11 were extremely similar, the earlier development aircraft did have an assortment of differences, as one expects of development programs.  This means Amodel's T-49 may not be entirely accurate, as just about everything on the kit aft of the canopy is identical to their earlier kits.  I have not delved into my resources extensively enough yet to tell the extent of this, but be warned that they easily could be some inaccuracies that pop-up.  This is a little surprising, as my past experience with Amodel has always impressed me with their attention to detail and accuracy.
All this aside, this kit is typical Amodel.  It's low-pressure injection technology, with the typical clean-up and fit issues I've come to associate with their products.The new parts of this kit are limited to the forward fuselage, which assembles in a rather fiddly manner, and the decals, which represent the one and only copy of this aircraft.  The T-49 was a really interesting looking aircraft, and I'm really looking forward to building this one.
The Su-9 has a really rich, interesting family of development models, and I'd love to see some of the others, like the T-3, PT-7, and T-37.  That Amodel would produce a T-49 give me hope!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: