Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
154 IAP Kittyhawk with bomb rack?
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 11:08:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 154 IAP Kittyhawk with bomb rack?  (Read 6321 times)
marluc

« on: June 24, 2009, 03:30:27 PM »

Hello everybody:

I found this photo in scalemodel.ru,of soviet ace Matveyev (and other pilots) in front of one of 154 IAP?s Kittyhawks.

These planes were fitted with bomb racks to carry a FAB-250 bomb hung on the centerline under the fuselage,during spring 1942.But this Kittyhawk has what looks like a bomb rack under the left wing,am I wrong?
Your help will be very appreciated.This is the link to the thread in saclemodels.ru:
http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9433&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=20
Best regards:

Martin
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 05:17:43 PM »

Hi Martin! Just a wild guess on my part, but could it be part of the launch rails for RS82 rockets? This seems to have been a fairly common modification to the P-40; in fact, I took the liberty of looking at the other P-40 photos in your album, and two of those aircraft have the launch rails fitted.

John
marluc

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 02:25:58 PM »

Hello John:

Thanks for your help.

...but could it be part of the launch rails for RS82 rockets?
It was my first thought,but should be two rails not one.As far as I know,the only Kittyhawks fitted with rocket launchers were the Klimov engined birds.

... I took the liberty of looking at the other P-40 photos in your album, and two of those aircraft have the launch rails fitted.
One is a Tomahawk and the other a Klimov engined Kitty.

This is an enlarged view:

The green arrows point to what looks like two fins in the downside of a rail,could be some kind of sway braces?
Greetings:

Martin
Dark Green Man

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 06:23:28 PM »

I agree with John, it looks like fins for the RS-82
and it actually looks like a pair of them to me
(also a common fit for P-40's in Soviet service)
[/color]

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 11:44:46 PM »

Does this help? Here's a thread from Air Warfare Forum about Klimov-engined P-40's which includes not only some neat drawings, but also (about half-way down the page, posted by Jarda Rankl) a photo of a P-40 with RO82 rails, taken at almost exactly the same angle as the Matveyev photo:
http://www.airwarfareforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6683&sid=e4e7ad32bcb0c8c84239d93e9a51de32

It's a very poor image, but it looks very similar.

John
marluc

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 06:14:06 AM »

Thanks Paul and John.It must be one or two rocket launchers,the enlarged image is too blurred to try a decent interpretation.Besides,I?ve found that Kittyhawks of 154 IAP had a FAB-250 bomb hung on the centerline under the fuselage for ground attack duties (not under the wings).And during 1942,many P-40s had a pair of RS-82 rockets under each wing to be employed as shturmoviks.

It's a very poor image, but it looks very similar.

I have the same photo that I scanned from Osprey?s "Soviet Lend-Lease Fighter Aces of WW2":

And you?re right,they look very similar.
Best regards:

Martin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: