Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
rwo-seater Hurricane by Plator Kalakulla
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 11:46:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: rwo-seater Hurricane by Plator Kalakulla  (Read 7815 times)
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« on: August 17, 2009, 06:56:07 PM »

Hi, Smiley
I've uploaded a pair of pages on two-seater Hurricanes: the model of Plator Kalakulla, and a quick collection of images and informations found on the web.

http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/lendlease/lendlease.html

If anyone has suggestions or other images, I would like any feedback.
Does anyone recognize the machine gun in the rear place of the spot plane? The text of Red Stars states it is a ShKAS, but the shape doesn't look right. Could it be a Lewis?
Massimo
marluc

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 09:55:45 PM »

Hello everybody:

Congratulations to Plator for the excellent two seater Hurricane,I like a lot the soviet conversions of Lend-Lease fighters.It would be great to know in which site he found the pictures of this plane.

Massimo,this is another photo of RAF LB640:

Probably,these are already posted in the forum;anyway,two photos of two seater "white 5":

The Hurricane behind "white 5" looks like a two seater with a whitewash applied only on the rear fuselaje.This photo was taken from a french book (don?t remember its name);sorry for the bad quality.

The MG on the observation Hurricane looks like a Lewis.
Greetings:

Martin
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 08:00:04 AM »

Hi Martin, Smiley
thank you very much for your help. I'll use those photos to update the page. Do you recall what the source is?
Plator has  found something on the history of the British plane, a total of three was converted for liaison purposes.

Massimo Smiley
marluc

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 12:11:33 AM »

Hello Massimo:

Do you recall what the source is?

No,I don?t,I?m sorry.I?ll scan the photo to try to improve its quality.
Greetings.

Martin
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 05:11:49 PM »

Thank you Martin Smiley
Massimo
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 08:34:18 AM »

Hi all, Smiley
here is a post by K.Lesnikov:

Something for your Hurricane two-seaters page.  I posted this on the modelling the aircraft of Soviet VVS forum today:

Answer to the question what was this mysterious plane can be found in May 2007 issue of Aviatsiya i Kosmonavtika (a special dedicated to Hawker Hurricane).  Following is what V. Kotelnikov writes about the post-war service of Hawker Hurricane in Soviet Union:

"In total, VVS and PVO had lost 1813 planes during the war.  Although the number of remaining machines wasn't small, after the VE-day, Hurricanes quickly disappeared from air force units, replaced by more modern Soviet and imported fighters.  Soviet Union wasn't required to return planes to England so the large numbers of planes were quickly sent to scrap. According to March 22,1946 government order, 421 Hurricanes were written off.

But, for some of these planes, a new role was found.  Disarmed Hurricanes were converted in weather (meteorological) reconnaissance airplanes.  Such airplanes were used by of the Main Directorate of Hydro-Meteorological Service (GUGMS) departmental air service .  Their Hurricanes were marked with the fuselage codes starting with letter "M".  In total mere then 150 airplanes were transferred to this service.  They flew from the western borders of Soviet Union to Yakutia assigned to different detachments.  Meteorological Hurricanes did vertical sounding (sampling?) of the atmosphere, photographed clouds, did different measurements.  For this purpose the planes were equipped with special equipment.  To make fling through the clouds easier, some planes were equipped with radio-compasses.  For example, Hurricane M-324 had American MN-26 radio-compass taken from a Kingcobra.  Photography was usually done from two-seaters - former trainers.

Till the end of 1947 the number of meteo Hurricanes decreased basically for those lost in accidents.  In 1946 because of accidents four airplanes were written-off, in 1947 -two.  In 1948 two airplanes were lost.  On Feb 14, 1948 on the airplane M-309 of the Kiev detachment had an accident due to engine failure (broken connecting rod).  Pilot A.G. Olyhovenko made forced landing, but unsuccessfully.  Pilot survived, but the airplane was written off.  On Dec. 04 Hurricane M-292 of the Tashkent detachment disappeared without traces.  During the search and rescue operation neither wreck of the airplane nor the pilot Matrenko were found.

On Oct 01, 1947 GUGMS had 104 Hurricanes, 81 of them in working order.  Gradually wear and lack of spares started to show.  By Jul 01, 1948, 50 english fighters remained within the department air service, by Jan 1949 their number decreased to 48.  At the beginning of that year the preparations for the complete write-off of all machines of that type started.  According to the order, use of Hurricanes had to terminate by Jan 01 1950 "after the fulfilment of the amortization period of the service".  In fact by that time the meteorological service had ten Hurricanes, five of which could still fly.  They were all written off  by Apr 01.

With this the history of Soviet ?Hurricanes? ended."

This information comes thanks to polarpost.ru forum.  Translation and poor grammar are mine.

I couldn't confirm that photo posted by Martin really shows a meteorological plane, but IMHO that is more likely than a radar test plane.

Cheers,
Konstantin
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 08:35:38 AM »

Thank you Konstantin.  Smiley
Now there is much to improve the page.
Massimo
marluc

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 10:20:41 PM »

Thanks a lot Konstantin for sharing this very interesting information with us.Great to know about the last days of the Hurricane in soviet service,it?s almost unbilievebable that some of them where still in flying conditions by 1950.
According to the description made of the "weather Hurricanes",the two seater with antennas on the leading edge could be one of these meteorological planes.
Best regards.

Martin
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 09:49:38 PM »

Hi, Smiley
I've updated the page. http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/lendlease/lendlease.html
There is something that could be interesting for those interested on this topic.
Massimo
marluc

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 01:58:46 PM »

Hello Massimo.

Nice profiles,I agree with you that "white 5" should be Dark Green/Ocean grey.I think that the light coloured zone on the rudder could be some kind of unpainted fabric patch used to repair this zone.The lighter colour over the right wing (close to the aileron),could it be an overpainting of the RAF roundel ?
Greetings.

Martin
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 12:29:04 PM »

Hi Martin, Smiley
your interpretation of the rudder and wing is possible.
To tell the truth, i suspect that the camo colors could be exchanged in the profile of white 5, even if the photo is unclear and doesn't allow to state it by sure.
Thank you for your help.
Massimo
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 12:31:12 PM by Massimo Tessitori » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: