Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Interior colour for I-16?
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 11:09:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Interior colour for I-16?  (Read 14838 times)
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2014, 06:15:06 PM »

Hi Xan,
interesting thing about the light blue utilized in z.21. Was it utilized over silver, or instead of it?
Have you translated that article?
The choice of light blue-grey is credible enough; if it was not a factory finish, can always be a repainting.
Regards
Massimo
xan

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2014, 11:01:05 PM »

I'm not able to traduce it!
my Russian friend is on hollydys now.
He didn't translate me all the article but gave me some information.
One was the in zavod 21 they never used silver powder to protect fabric , but a light blue powder in the protective varnish. the mixture used to become light grey very fast.
Xan

KL

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2014, 12:01:04 AM »

For the spanish type 5 un 1937 I decided to paint interior in A-14 as say KL
The second plane is a type 10 in 1938 in China.

The interior AII blue as we can see in the I-16 Type 5 preserved at Chkalov Museum, have been repeinted after june of 1940.

I propose that if after 40,  interior color is the same that the downside part of the plane (AII blue) it could have been the same thing before 1940.
Do you agree with that choise ?

Maslov (most likely based on technical manuals) says that:  "in the beginning interior was painted with gray oil paint.  After February 1939, in order to improve moisture resistance, fuselage interior was primed with yellow ALG-2 primer and then painted with AE-9."

From this we may conclude that interiors were primarily painted to prevent wood rotting - that is why they used oil paints, not nitro paints (AII paints were never used to protect wood...).  In the beginning they used cheaper A-14 and from Feb 1939, better quality and more expensive light gray AE-9 & ALG-2 primer.

HTH,
KL

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2014, 08:48:28 AM »

Hi
fuselage interior was primed with yellow ALG-2 primer
is this the yellowish color visible on the scratches of the MiG-3 outside? I think to remember that Lumppio called it with another name a lot of time ago.
Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2014, 05:46:42 PM »

Massimo, that colour was from the nitroputty that impregnated the fabric, not from any primer paint. It doesn't seem to vary in colour like the ALG-5 did - it was always a rather light yellow from what I've seen of it (I can actually see it on the piece of Il-2 wooden fin I own).

Regards,

Jason
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 05:48:38 PM by learstang » Logged

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
xan

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2014, 08:49:10 AM »

Hello all of you!
Do you think green paints for ground and seat is possible or it had to be more surely all blue?

Xan

KL

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2014, 11:13:37 PM »

Hi Xan!

IMHO, type 10 had gray cockpit, not blue.  If you really like blue make the cockpit of your Type 5 (with enclosed cockpit) blue.  it would be analogue to the preserved Type 5 in Chkalovsk museum.

MiG-3 cockpit looks like a (permited!) deviation from 1941 rules, I wouldn't use it on other types of Soviet planes, especially those made at different factories.

HTH,
KL
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: