Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Interior colour for I-16?
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 07:13:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Interior colour for I-16?  (Read 14835 times)
marluc

« on: October 31, 2009, 04:20:43 PM »

Hello everybody::

In the posts related to the I-16 in scalemodels.ru,is mentioned that the interior colour is A-14 grey,being AII Blue an exception.It should be great if K. Lesnikov could share its knowledege on this topic with us,your help will be very appreciated Konstantin.Thanks in advance.
Greetings.

Martin
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 09:16:08 PM »

I read in the current VVS colour thread on ARC that the type 24 had its cockpit finished in AE9; this information seems to have come from a wartime technical manual for the I-16. Maybe Konstantin can provide some guidance regarding what "types" were finsihed in what colour. Thanks in advance from me, too!

John
KL

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 07:33:37 AM »

Hi John and Martin,

Sorry for this late reply - I am still recovering from Erik's attack.  Wink

From Maslov's I-16 book, published by Yauza-Eksmo 2008:

"Interior fuselage surfaces were painted with gray oil paint during the early years of production.  Starting from February 1939, in order to improve moisture resistance, wood was first covered with yellow primer ALG-2 a then it was painted with gray AE-9."

In February 1939 Type 10 was still the main variant in production.  At the same time State tests with Type 17 were finished.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Cool
KL
marluc

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 01:33:08 PM »

Thanks Konstantin for your kind answer,it?s good to have you here in the forum.
"Interior fuselage surfaces were painted with gray oil paint during the early years of production.
What shade of gray this oil paint was?

Starting from February 1939, in order to improve moisture resistance, wood was first covered with yellow primer ALG-2 a then it was painted with gray AE-9."
It means till end of I-16 production,isn?t it? What about A-14 grey? Was this colour applied to the cockpit interiors?

Thanks in advance for your answer.Greetings.

Martin
xan

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 07:49:23 AM »

From Maslov's I-16 book, published by Yauza-Eksmo 2008:

"Interior fuselage surfaces were painted with gray oil paint during the early years of production.  Starting from February 1939, in order to improve moisture resistance, wood was first covered with yellow primer ALG-2 a then it was painted with gray AE-9."

In February 1939 Type 10 was still the main variant in production.  At the same time State tests with Type 17 were finished.

Hello three years later, I would like some informations about the interior paints...

1) Konstantin, do we know more about thie grey oil aint before AE-9 ?
2) Do we know what ALG-2 looks like ?
3) Last I-16 were they paint in AII blue as were If i'm not wrong Mig-3 ?

By the way does someone have information about when produceeach type of I-16 ?

This question is because a friend of mine is building a type 29 and he asks me about the interior paints...

Xan

KL

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 02:13:17 AM »

1) Konstantin, do we know more about thie grey oil aint before AE-9 ?
2) Do we know what ALG-2 looks like ?
3) Last I-16 were they paint in AII blue as were If i'm not wrong Mig-3 ?

1)  A-14 was oil paint and it was gray  Cool  It was used, probably, from 1937.  For earlier Type 5 and Type 4, I would use BLUE, like the blue on the I-16 Type 5 preserved at Chkalov Museum.
2)  I don't know...  Lips Sealed But Maslov says "YELLOW primer ALG-2"
3)  Yes, I-16s made after mid-1940

By the way does someone have information about when produceeach type of I-16 ?

I hope You will not have problems with Cyrillic

« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 02:26:44 AM by KL » Logged
xan

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 11:05:18 PM »

thanks Konstantin ; I'm very surprised by the plenty of I-16 UTI-4 produced...
Xan

learstang

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 12:54:41 AM »

I suppose they thought that if you could fly the tricky little Ishak, then you could fly anything.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
KL

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 07:10:44 PM »

For earlier Type 5 and Type 4, I would use BLUE, like the blue on the I-16 Type 5 preserved at Chkalov Museum.

Correction/Addition:  According to scalemodels.ru forum at http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_42675.html

I-16 displayed at the Chkalov museum is an authentic 1937 Type 5.  It was used to test aviation radios for some 10 years, before it became a museum exhibit in 1949.
Exterior was repainted several times, last time in 2011 in "Sokol" factory (former Zavod No 21)
Entire fuselage interior, including cockpit, is light blue.  This paint was most likely applied when plane was overhauled during its long service. VIAM instruction LK-14 allowed use of A-18F, AE-9 and AE-14 for interior wooden surfaces.  Lagg-3 and La-5 overhaul instructions allowed use of AMT-7 and AII Light Blue.

So, interior light blue is authentic, but not 1937 factory paint.  It's later, overhaul paint...

Some remnants of gray A-14 are visible in the top right corner of the following photo:

HTH,
KL
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 11:11:26 PM by KL » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 08:58:02 PM »

Very interesting. Just, the shade of these photos looks darker and more saturated of what I expected for AII blue. It doesn't resembles the same color of the MiG and LaGG of Veesiveehma.
Regards
Massimo
KL

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »

Very interesting. Just, the shade of these photos looks darker and more saturated of what I expected for AII blue. It doesn't resembles the same color of the MiG and LaGG of Veesiveehma.

It's probably one of two light blue oil paints mentioned in VIAM instruction.
Regards,
KL
xan

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 10:01:29 AM »

Helo,
It's my turn to mount I-16.
II expect to mount all the types, but this time it will be a Spanish I-16 type 5 and a chinese I-16 type 10.
Well for both, according to wahat you say, I will have to paint the interior in light blue.
For the type 5 I will use pre 1937 colors as I did for the I-15.
Do you think that the interior blue had to be the same that the downside light blue, or not necesseraly?
For the I-16 type I will use the same blue correct ?

Xan

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2014, 03:21:49 PM »

Hi,
I think not necessarily... the cockpit could easily be painted with blue during an overhaul, but I don't know sure indications that the plane was built this way.
Regards
Massimo
xan

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2014, 05:10:13 PM »

the cockpit could easily be painted with blue during an overhaul,
I didn't think they could repeint en intrior paint...
So wich would be the original color, A-14 ?

xan

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2014, 04:05:44 PM »

Hello again.
For the spanish type 5 un 1937 I decided to paint interior in A-14 as say KL

According to scalemodels.ru forum at http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_42675.html
 VIAM instruction LK-14 allowed use of A-18F, AE-9 and AE-14 for interior wooden surfaces.

The second plane is a type 10 in 1938 in China.

The interior AII blue as we can see in the I-16 Type 5 preserved at Chkalov Museum, have been repeinted after june of 1940.

what was there  between 37 and 40 ?

I propose that if after 40,  interior color is the same that the downside part of the plane (AII blue) it could have been the same thing before 1940.

I will imagine that my I-16 have been done in zavod 21 as were most of the type 10 (if not all of them).
Massimo gave me a link of an Orlov article about VVS paint before 1940.
Orlov says in zavod 21 , they never use AII silver to paint downside part of fabric but a pale blue who became fast grey in operation.
So I will use a mix of akan's AII blue and Gunze light grey to paint the 1938 I-16 type 10.
Do you agree with that choise ?

Xan   

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: