Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
LaGG-3 three-tone cammo?
Sovietwarplanes
April 19, 2024, 01:56:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: LaGG-3 three-tone cammo?  (Read 9197 times)
warhawk

« on: August 03, 2009, 10:27:36 AM »

Montex has released a new set of masks for various VVS types, including the LaGG-3. A scheme that intrigues me the most is the No.2 scheme on this sheet, where a three-tone upper cammo is suggested. Any thoughts on accuracy of this interpretation?

Dark Green Man

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 06:29:34 AM »

the #71 machine had a standard Green/Black camo pattern from Zavod 21 in Gorky.
the only use of brown that I know of as part of a three-color scheme on fighters are the experimental patterns tested in 1940 on some type 10 I-16's.
(although it would make for an interesting model I don't think it would be historically accurate.)
it would be nice if somebody would do decals for that machine , but the masks are a good idea as you could use whatever color you want.
it's nice to see 50-4 (or 4-50) as the decals that come with the South Front kit are way too big!
but look at the photos of the #71 machine and decide for yourself :
and some discussion about it here:
[/color]
http://www.airwarfareforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2022&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
warhawk

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 11:49:44 AM »

Yes, from the photos it is clearly visible that it is a standard scheme. Too bad, it would make an interesting model  Tongue
marluc

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 10:03:57 PM »

Undoubtedly,"White 71" has a green/black camo.Nevertheless,the three tone camo shown in the sheet is a very interesting one.It would look great on a model despite of it lack of accuracy.
Greetings:

Martin
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 04:50:22 PM »

Hi, Smiley
looking well at the photos, I see a third color, but I think that it is a repainting made with a different shade of green. Maybe the lighter shade is AII green and the other one is AMT green. The darker shade is obviusly standard black.
The photos don't show the nose, and the scheme reported for it on the instructions could be of fantasy. Usually the camo of LaGG-3s included both nose and spinner in a black band.
About the digits: I think that they were silver because of the strong variability of darkness according to the inclination of the surface, but if one prefers light blue, it is possible all the same.
Massimo
Dark Green Man

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 09:35:28 PM »

then why is it that the tactical number is the only part of the aircraft's surface finish that does NOT have a reflection?
AII Aluminum is known for being very bright and shiny ,in this I see neither.
the number is matte, whereas the rest appears to be covered in a clear varnish.
also the Finns own report on the aircraft indicated a green and black finish,no brown.
[/color]

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 09:56:33 AM »

Hi,
metallic and gloss are not synonimous. Gloss surfaces are characterized by reflecting images. A metallic surface can be matt, and reflects in different way, very depending on the light. Silver can look dark grey, under some conditions.
However, at http://www.airwarfareforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2022&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15 there is some discussion, and I expressed my opinion about the Finnish source.
Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 02:22:29 AM »

Like several other photos which cause confusion regarding matte versus gloss finishes, I'd be willing to bet that the aircraft in the photos had just recently been hit by a storm of freezing rain, not that it has a coat of gloss varnish. Just my humble opinion, but having spent my whole life in Canada, I've seen a lot of that... Wink

John
marluc

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 01:39:18 PM »

I agree with John,the Lagg-3 looks like it has a wet surface.Regarding the colour of the number,it could be painted in aluminium,this paint turns into a light grey colour after some use.In the second photograph above,the number looks like being white,could be it has a different reflection of the light.
Greetings.

Martin
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 07:38:52 AM »

Hi,
I've had a new look to these photos after having received some mails, and now I think that the shape of the lighter bands is not a repainting of a damage, but an additional color painted by hand brush.
There are Finnish reports of Il-2s painted with ad additional brighter green over black and green usual ones, so it's likely that this is the case of this plane.
Thanks to AR and Tapani.
Massimo
bonifaz

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 10:29:13 AM »

Hi Massimao,
I think too. In the Akan range the AII Z is darker than AMT4 and AmT 4 is darker than 4BO.
So the camo may be AMT4/6 and 4BO?
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 12:24:17 PM »

Hi Bonifaz,
yes, it is possible, 4B0 or the similar A-19f.
Massimo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: