Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
VVS Models Su-4: to build, or not to build
Sovietwarplanes
March 19, 2024, 10:03:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VVS Models Su-4: to build, or not to build  (Read 6158 times)
jschleicher

« on: December 31, 2009, 12:57:17 PM »

Newbies first post, so please forgive anything stupid.

Some years ago I picked up a VVS Models Su-4 from the Hobby Shop where I lived at the time. At that time it suffered the same fate as many kits I bought: Long Term Storage.

By Long Term Storage I mean into the pool of kits that are eventually sold to buy other kits I want to build "right now". It languished there awaiting its fate for many years. Then one day the build bug bit me, and the kit was moved into the to-build group.

Being in the to build group meant that I finally opened the kit to see what I had to work with. I was pleasently suprised. The injection molding is not to bad for a short run kit, and it came with cast metal goodies. The decal sheet was shot though. So I did what I normally do at this point and started "getting stuff" for the project. I found a PE set for the Su-2 (Common Airframe), and a sweet brass MG that is way nicer than the pretty good cast job with the kit. I've even gone so far as working up a new decal sheet, a copy of what was in the box, for the project (home grown of course, but I can make either decals or dry transfers that will do the job).

Now the problems start.

What little info I can find on the Su-4 is conflicting. One airframe testbed, Several Airframes that saw combat. Plain green/blue scheme with only stars, Green/Blue or White/Blue fully marked with numbers that would be expected on an operational aircraft.

I have not been able to locate any useful info about this aircraft, and very little useful info about its brother the Su-2. Little things like what color the cockpit should be.

So I find myself with a relatively rare (in my part of the world) kit, with all the goodies, ready to build, but without any useful information about it's finish. While I do occasionally suffer from Advanced Modelers Syndrome, and projects get shelved for years because of it, this is more of a case of not enough basic information. I feel that whole color scheme/markings thing kind of important.

I am at the crossroads with this kit. Build it with the color scheme that I find pleasing? Shelve it and keep looking for the last bit of information about its finish? Or just sell the whole kit and kabootle and move on.

Any thoughts?

John
Dark Green Man

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 06:30:50 AM »

you might find this of interest and it it may also be helpful.
(the one at the bottom is an Su-4 A.K.A. Su-2-M-82 )

http://vvs.hobbyvista.com/Research/Sukhoi/Su-2/Markings/index.php

AML decals from the Czech Republic also offer a nice set of decals for this kit.
the third option on sheet 72008 is for Major Pushkin's White 100 of the 52 BBAP.

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
jschleicher

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 09:07:05 AM »

Wow!

Talk about a bunch of questions answered in one shot.

Thanks a bunch Dark Green Man.

John
Dark Green Man

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 05:33:15 PM »

I am glad you found it useful.
now if I can just find you a link to that decal sheet so you can see what I am talking about.
....ah -here we are....

http://www.aml.cz/en/AD7208-1.html

if you are interested in the Su-2 then I can highly recommend the ICM kit , I think it is the best kit put out by ICM.
this kit is the basis of the conversions (M-88B and M-82) shown on the AML website.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 06:09:38 PM by Dark Green Man » Logged

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: