Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Re: LaGG-3 saga..Alleluia!!.. (pag. 24)
Sovietwarplanes
April 25, 2024, 02:29:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 25
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: LaGG-3 saga..Alleluia!!.. (pag. 24)  (Read 159255 times)
Markino

« Reply #180 on: April 23, 2014, 10:34:10 AM »

Hi Michel, many thanks  Smiley.

Do you have informations about shape of  wing air intakes?

Another thing: I saw Imageschak.com, the site I use to put LaGG-3 pictures, become surcharges apply, so I am looking for a free images sharing website, do you know any, please?

Ciao!

Marco

"If you want to get what you want
 you need to get rid of the need."
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« Reply #181 on: April 23, 2014, 11:58:09 AM »

Hi Marco,
You could try www.photobucket.com for free image sharing.

regards,
       66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #182 on: April 23, 2014, 12:22:41 PM »

Hi Marco,
impressive work indeed.
Regards
Massimo
Markino

« Reply #183 on: April 23, 2014, 04:37:54 PM »

Hello Massimo and 66misos, thanks for your comments.

What can you tell me about wing air intakes? Oval or different shape? I'm pawing the ground to continue but I would like to avoid to be wrong something... Wink

Ciao!

Marco

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #184 on: April 24, 2014, 07:44:29 AM »

Hi Marco,
it's a lot of time that I did my work on LaGGs and I don't remember well, but much depends on what plane you want to build. I think that the front views should be reliable, if you have identified the version.
Regards
Massimo
Markino

« Reply #185 on: April 24, 2014, 11:18:19 AM »

Hi Massimo, as I said several post before I wish to realize the Kostylev's  red 35. By documentation I could  see I believe it was:

• LaGG-3 (4th series most probably)
  • built by Zavod 23 in Leningrad then in Novosibirsk
  • 3 machine guns; starboard UBS was deleted
  • 2 balance horn on the rudder
  • retractable tail wheel

This is my main resource for these considerations: http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/lagg3/lagg3drawings/lagg3drawings.html  Wink

The most interesting thing about the group of planes with big numerals, such as white 14, 15, 20, 22, 25, 35, 42, 44, are with high probability built at Zavod 23 in Leningrad in Summer 1941, before the factory was evacuated to Novosibirsk. 44 iap
records in summer-autumn 1941 show a lot of peculiarly formatted serial numbers (01100XX) that do not match either Z. 21 or Z. 31 and must belong to Z. 23. All the mentioned planes have a black-green camo as required at that moment, but not matching the standard pattern applied on Z. 21/31, and without the fuselage star. The standard for those Zavod 23 series is 4 guns (2 ShKAS and 2 UB), with the stbd UB gun deleted. This corresponds nicely to the fact that at the same time Gorky was building series 4/5/6/7 that did not have the stbd UB either but did have the horn compensators.

As I said I wish to compare my assumptions with someone with more or different informations about this plane.

Many thanks for your help!

Ciao!

Marco

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #186 on: April 24, 2014, 12:24:08 PM »

Hi Marco,
as you know, all what I know or suppose on this plane is here:
http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/lagg3/44iap/red35.html
If you have reasons to think that it should be corrected, please let me know.
Regards
Massimo
KL

« Reply #187 on: April 24, 2014, 08:28:23 PM »

Some suspicious information about 44 iap LaGG-3s:  Huh
Василий Алексеенко, Михаил Никольский
ЛаГГ-З 1 -и серии имелись на вооружении 44-го ИАП Ленинградского фронта

"Истребитель ЛаГГ-3." /М.В. Орлов, Н.В. Якубович/
В Ленинградском военном округе к 22 июня имелось 15 ЛаГГ-3, на которые переучивался летный состав 44-го иап. Видимо, это были машины производства завода № 23, ранее выпускавшего легкие самолеты. Переход к производству более сложного ЛаГГ-3 не мог не отразиться на качестве техники, а после начала войны положение усугубилось тем, что сдаточные испытания стали проводить по сокращенной программе.

IMHO more reliable information about about 44 iap LaGG-3s on wikipedia (from http://allaces.ru/cgi-bin/s2.cgi/sssr/struct/p/iap44.dat ):
По состоянию на 22 июня 1941 года находился в составе ВВС РККА, базировался в Ропше, имея на вооружении 64 самолета И-16, И-153 (в том числе 10 неисправных) при 66 экипажах, сведённых в четыре эскадрильи (одна на И-153, три на И-16) С конца июня 1941 года начал осваивать на аэродроме Горелово самолёты МиГ-3 [1]

Передан в июле 1941 года в распоряжение войск противовоздушной обороны страны.

С 7 июля 1941 года полк был включен в состав 7-го авиакорпуса ПВО и вплоть до преобразования в гвардейский (да и потом, будучи гвардейским) осуществлял прикрытие Ленинграда с воздуха, вылетал на прикрытие наземных войск, штурмовку батарей, укреплений и войск противника.

В конце июля 1941 года потерял большую часть своих самолётов, включая поступишие МиГ-3 на аэродроме в Ропше в результате налёта десяти Bf-110 [2] вероятнее всего из 2-й группы 210-й эскадры скоростных бомбардировщиков ?Hornissen? (II/SKG 210)

27 августа 1941 года пятёркой МиГ-3 вылетал на штурмовой удар по железнодорожным эшелонам, скопившимся на станции Любань.

Осенью 1941 года рассматривалася вариант размещения полка на Дворцовой площади, с перенесением Александровской колонны и вырубкой Адмиралтейского сада для устройства аэродрома, однако от идеи отказались и полк был размещён на аэродроме Сосновка.[3]

С ноября 1941 года задействован в том числе и на охране коммуникаций, проходящих по Ладожскому озеру. Получил истребители ЛаГГ-3. На 12 декабря 1941 года базируется в Манушкино, Парголово, Касимово, имея в наличии 20 ЛаГГ-3 (7 неисправных) и 27 лётчиков

Conclusion - 44 iap was equipped with LaGG-3s in autumn 1941.  It most likely received late Zavod 23 LaGG-3s with reduced armament (1 UBS instead of 2).

On the other hand, 44 iap discussed above was an Air Force unit and Kostilyev was a Navy pilot! He flew and fought in the 5 iap VVS KBF.  This unit received LaGG-3s in August 1941 - most likely early Zavod 23 LaGG-3s armed with 2 UBS machine guns.  So, 5 iap VVS KBF received LaGG-3s 2-3 months before the 44 iap. This contradicts Massimo's "Kostylev's red 35" hypothesis:

Very few is visible of his winter camouflaged LaGG-3, but the red number 35 has the same style of those seen on 44 IAP aircrafts, and this allow to consider it as a winter variant of those aircrafts, and to extrapolate a likely camo scheme.
It's possible that this aircraft was the same white 35 of 44 IAP appearing on another photo, after having been delivered to another unit; the profile is based on this hypothesis.

HTH,
KL

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #188 on: April 24, 2014, 08:48:40 PM »

Hi Konstantin,
this forum is in English language, so please don't post text in Russian without any translation.
Regards
Massimo
KL

« Reply #189 on: April 24, 2014, 08:49:57 PM »

What can you tell me about wing air intakes? Oval or different shape? I'm pawing the ground to continue but I would like to avoid to be wrong something... Wink

Information on http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/lagg3/lagg3drawings/lagg3drawings.html is the most reliable of the currently available LaGG-3 info.  If you read carefully what are the series and what is written next to the drawings it is clear that all Zavod 23 LaGG-3s had oval wing root intakes.

Third view from above represents early Zavod 23 LaGG-3s armed with 2 UBS mgs

Top left view represents late Zavod 23 LaGG-3s armed with 1 UBS mgs

HTH,
KL
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #190 on: April 25, 2014, 07:58:59 AM »

Hi Konstantin,
IMHO more reliable information about about 44 iap LaGG-3s on wikipedia (from http://allaces.ru/cgi-bin/s2.cgi/sssr/struct/p/iap44.dat ):
По состоянию на 22 июня 1941 года находился в составе ВВС РККА, базировался в Ропше, имея на вооружении 64 самолета И-16, И-153 (в том числе 10 неисправных) при 66 экипажах, сведённых в четыре эскадрильи (одна на И-153, три на И-16) С конца июня 1941 года начал осваивать на аэродроме Горелово самолёты МиГ-3 [1]

С 7 июля 1941 года полк был включен в состав 7-го авиакорпуса ПВО и вплоть до преобразования в гвардейский (да и потом, будучи гвардейским) осуществлял прикрытие Ленинграда с воздуха, вылетал на прикрытие наземных войск, штурмовку батарей, укреплений и войск противника.

В конце июля 1941 года потерял большую часть своих самолётов, включая поступишие МиГ-3 на аэродроме в Ропше в результате налёта десяти Bf-110 [2] вероятнее всего из 2-й группы 210-й эскадры скоростных бомбардировщиков ?Hornissen? (II/SKG 210)

27 августа 1941 года пятёркой МиГ-3 вылетал на штурмовой удар по железнодорожным эшелонам, скопившимся на станции Любань.

Осенью 1941 года рассматривалася вариант размещения полка на Дворцовой площади, с перенесением Александровской колонны и вырубкой Адмиралтейского сада для устройства аэродрома, однако от идеи отказались и полк был размещён на аэродроме Сосновка.[3]

С ноября 1941 года задействован в том числе и на охране коммуникаций, проходящих по Ладожскому озеру. Получил истребители ЛаГГ-3. На 12 декабря 1941 года базируется в Манушкино, Парголово, Касимово, имея в наличии 20 ЛаГГ-3 (7 неисправных) и 27 лётчиков

Conclusion - 44 iap was equipped with LaGG-3s in autumn 1941.  It most likely received late Zavod 23 LaGG-3s with reduced armament (1 UBS instead of 2).
The text doesn't correspond to the quoted link. Could I know what is the real source, please?

The text speaks of I-16 at the war outbreak, MiG-3s in August and LaGG in November, but doesn't say explicitely that LaGGs were received on that month. Nor that the plane 35 of Kostylev was received in August, in consideration that it was photographed during the winter. More relevant, it says that 44 IAP had more pilots than planes, so it's unlikely they give away one of these.
Anyway, no matter. It is likely that the plane of Kostylev, although photographed in winter,  wasn't the same 35 of 44 IAP, also because its radio mast seems of the shorter type instead of long one. This would mean that the strange numerals were painted in factory and weren't exclusive of 44 IAP. An interesting information anyway.

Regards
Massimo

Markino

« Reply #191 on: April 25, 2014, 12:52:32 PM »

Hello guys, many thanks for your explanations!  Smiley

@ KL: many thanks for your informations. Now I solve the doubts about wing air intake and I go on with oval shape one.

But I am a bit confused regarding what you says about LaGG-3 by plant 23: the early series was with 4 machine guns but no top balance horn on the rudder;

the latest series was with 3 machines guns and they had the top balance horn on the rudder, as visible on Kostylev's plane http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/lagg3/44iap/red35.html.

So, I think Kostylev's plane was, without duobts, with top rudder balance horn and "maybe" with 3 machine gun; considering his plane was with winter camo "maybe" is probable it was a plant 23 late series LaGG-3.

It will be very interesting to compare pictures of planes by the same units, if they exist, to have a more complete ideas about this unit.

Many thanks from your impression and ideas about this discussion!

Ciao!

Marco

KL

« Reply #192 on: April 25, 2014, 07:00:16 PM »

Drawings posted on http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/lagg3/lagg3drawings/lagg3drawings.html actually show that very little is known about the "early Zavod 23 LaGG-3s".  Remark "predpolozhitelni" by the profile means probable, presumed, most likely.  I couldn't find anywhere how many "early Zavod 23 LaGG-3s" and how many "late Zavod 23 LaGG-3s" were made. Only 65 LaGG-3s were completed before Zavod 23 was evacuated in August 1941.  That is less than 1 serie in Zavod 21...  We are probably talking about 2-3 incomplete series and about very few "early Zavod 23 LaGG-3s".

Some information about the 5 iap VVS KBF is available in Igor Kaberov's memoirs "Swastika in the Gunsight" (translated in English!!!)

Kaberov says in this book that 5 iap VVS KBF received LaGG-3s straight from the factory in August 1941. Mind you (see above) that the factory was actually evacuated in August - I was probably wrong in my previous post:  5 iap VVS KBF must have received "late Zavod 23 LaGG-3s"....  and you are safe with 2 balance horns on the rudder and reduced UBS armament!  Smiley

Is there any particular reason why are you modelling Kostiliev's LaGG-3?

The text doesn't correspond to the quoted link. Could I know what is the real source, please?

Hi Massimo,
Information about 44 iap PVO is from Wikipedia, as I said in my original post:  http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/44-%D0%B9_%D0%B8%D1%81%D1%82%D1%80%D0%B5%D0%B1%D0%B8%D1%82%D0%B5%D0%BB%D1%8C%D0%BD%D1%8B%D0%B9_%D0%B0%D0%B2%D0%B8%D0%B0%D1%86%D0%B8%D0%BE%D0%BD%D0%BD%D1%8B%D0%B9_%D0%BF%D0%BE%D0%BB%D0%BA_%D0%9F%D0%92%D0%9E  (sorry, it's in Russian)  Grin

BTW, I am finding your questioning as unfair - you are asking for proofs, sources etc, while most of your information is based on b/w photo interpretation or (mostly unreliable) popular literature published in English.     

Regards,
KL
KL

« Reply #193 on: April 26, 2014, 01:10:26 AM »

Correction: Kaberov describes how 10 new LaGG-3s were taken from Zavod 21 (Gorkii) in late August 1941.  So, forget Zavod 23 (Leningrad) if you are modelling a 5 iap VVS KBF LaGG-3.
Regards,
KL
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #194 on: April 26, 2014, 07:34:34 AM »

Hi Konstantin:

Hi Massimo,
Information about 44 iap PVO is from Wikipedia, as I said in my original post:  http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/44-%D0%B9_%D0%B8%D1%81%D1%82%D1%80%D0%B5%D0%B1%D0%B8%D1%82%D0%B5%D0%BB%D1%8C%D0%BD%D1%8B%D0%B9_%D0%B0%D0%B2%D0%B8%D0%B0%D1%86%D0%B8%D0%BE%D0%BD%D0%BD%D1%8B%D0%B9_%D0%BF%D0%BE%D0%BB%D0%BA_%D0%9F%D0%92%D0%9E  (sorry, it's in Russian)  Grin

BTW, I am finding your questioning as unfair - you are asking for proofs, sources etc, while most of your information is based on b/w photo interpretation or (mostly unreliable) popular literature published in English.

It is not the same source. There is not the line marked in red, for example. Please admit that the link was wrong, instead of being righteous.
My sources aren't only popular English literature. I have contacts with correspondants in the ex-SSSR area that keep me informed and look at my works. They always made this with competence and never with arrogance.
You have always asked proofs to other people. Now can't I ask you, after you have affirmed that what I wrote is wrong?
Wrong? Well, it is very likely, but not for the reasons you have written. It is unrelevant to know what unit received its planes first, if in summer or autumn, when the plane of Kostylev was photographed in winter 1941/42 or later. There was all time to receive further planes from different factories.
Now let's compare two photos of planes numbered 35:

the plane of Kostylev,

plane 35 of 44 IAP.

Well, apart for the camo, the difference seems to be the height of the mast, that is high for the plane of 44 IAP and low for the other one.
But look at the digits: for all what I can see, they have the same shape. It can't be casual: they came out from the same stencil. This stencil can be at the unit or at the factory. So there has to be some connection between these planes even if they aren't the same one.

Regards
Massimo
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 25
  Print  

Jump to: