Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Speaking of colors...
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 02:34:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Speaking of colors...  (Read 6100 times)
Greg C.

« on: January 15, 2010, 03:07:43 AM »

Please forgive me if I've missed any discussion on this, but has anyone had a look at the Akan line of acrylic paints?

I ordered a couple of sets, and have been comparing it to color references, along with "equivalent" colors I've used in the past on my VVS models.
In particular, AMT 11 and 12 look WAY off compared to what i've seen in the past, and this makes me suspicious of the rest of them.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 10:15:41 PM »

Hi Greg,
I am in contact with AKAN, and those colors are reasonably faithful replicas of those seen on a Russian catalogue of 1948. The other ones are replicas of... of what?
So I am confident enough that those colors are better than previous paints.
Massimo
Greg C.

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 03:55:15 AM »

..is this the matter Eric P. wrote about on the VVS modeling site?
I have to say, setting-aside his rather undiplomatic attitude, I found much of his criticism well-founded.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 07:15:12 AM »

Hi Greg,
I wouldn't open the polemics born on that site on this forum, but did you read the discussion at Arcforum.
http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=175255&st=160At pag 8-10 there are comments to his post on that catalogue, including my one. Other comments could be found on Scalemodels.Ru.
Massimo
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 01:08:32 PM by Massimo Tessitori » Logged
Greg C.

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 01:58:17 AM »

No, I was not aware of that.  Sorry again for having missed the original discussion.
I can confirm, as a one-time prominent member of the HyperScale plane Talking forum, it's easy to get put-off the place due to a few posters who like to bully everyone else.

Having now read through the thread, one thing seems clear: there is no real certainty or even consensus on VVS colors, and there is much more work to be done on the subject.  With that in mind, I suppose I shouldn't obsess too much about color accuracy!
I'll give the AKAN paints a try and see how they look.  It would be a shame not to, since I have them!
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 07:10:40 AM »

Hi Greg,
it looks right.
In my idea, probably colors were standardized in production, but the weathering certainly changed them; AMT-11 and 12 in particular were probably prone to become lighter with sun exposition, as revealed by photos of planes with partial repaintings.
Besides, I see that if one has already painted other models with some shades, it is desturbing to change their attitude towards them passing from one standard to another.
Massimo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: