Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Amodel 1/72 Yak-9U
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 12:23:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Amodel 1/72 Yak-9U  (Read 18157 times)
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 03:50:11 AM »

I only have the photo editing software that comes with Windows XP (Microsoft Digital Image Standard 2006 Editor). I haven't checked to see if it has the capability you describe, but I will!

John

It doesn't!

I haven't investigated this in any detail yet, but tonight I was looking at the High Planes 1/72 Yak-9P/U, and noticed that the wing in this kit is more accurate than the Amodel one; in fact, it's almost perfect for shape and location, although it does have some other problems.
http://www.hiplanes.com/new/1_72_kits/7237.htm

Here's a detailed article on building this kit, by Scott Van Aken:
http://modelingmadness.com/scotts/korean/rus/yak9p.htm

John
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 05:35:19 PM »

Hi John,
eventually I could do it by Photoshop, but I haven't adequate drawings to compare.

The model of High Planes... I have it!. It costed a lot of money many years ago, and is still there. It looks not too bad.
In the photo of the model, the cooler gives an impression of too high, don't you think?
Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2010, 11:36:44 PM »

The model of High Planes... I have it!. It costed a lot of money many years ago, and is still there. It looks not too bad.
In the photo of the model, the cooler gives an impression of too high, don't you think?
Massimo

Yes, I think you're right - I looked at mine, and I think the cooler housing could be reduced by about 50%, approximately, but I didn't measure it. The High Planes kit could be built into a pretty good Yak-9U if you changed the shape of the wing tips. The wing surface detail doesn't represent the metal construction for the Yak-9P as well as the Amodel Yak-9P, but on the other hand, in 1/72 scale who would really notice? I only mention it because Amodel did such a beautiful job of detailing this. The High Planes nose looks like it should be made just a tiny bit deeper, to my eyes, at least. It might be fun (? easier, perhaps!) to use the main parts (wings, fuselage) from High Planes and the detail parts from Amodel when building a Yak-9U. I still haven't figured out the best way to fill in that 2.8 mm crescent-shaped gap in the corrected Amodel kit!

John
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2010, 06:55:39 AM »

I still haven't figured out the best way to fill in that 2.8 mm crescent-shaped gap in the corrected Amodel kit!

Hi John,
I suppos that one could add thin stripes of plastic and cyonoacrilate to the wing junction, and then shape it by file.
The extension of intakes is more delicate: if one makes an error on the shape of lips, the result will be worse than the uncorrected model (that is still an option that I am considering, I would like to find some photos of above/below to see if the difference in look is really so visible).
IT would be good to make sort of mould of the lips, fill it with resin, shape the new pieces, glue them and fill the gaps.
Or, perhaps, to cut 1-2 mm of lip, to add thickness, shape it, glue in position and fill.

Massimo
Graham Boak

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2010, 11:00:47 AM »

The traditional method of filling such gaps would be to lay overlapping  pieces of microstrip in the inside of the fuselage.  Once these were dry the resulting hollow can be filled with plastic scrap and your favourite filler - I'd suggest Milliput because of the lack of shrinkage and the ease of smoothing.

The intakes I'd extend by cutting them off and use offcuts of plastic card to add packing, to move them forward, but I haven't looked at the kits to test the idea.
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2010, 04:35:20 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions, Massimo and Graham! For now, I've gone back to working on my Amodel Borovkov-Florov I-207. Cheers!

John
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: